• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2016 UMD Season Thread

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
    30-40 years ago it was
    today, it is on the level of doing the wave

IMO, I give the band a pass, it's their pay for showing up and playing, but 90% of what they do is awfully childish, but then you have to remember that today college is nothing more than day care for adults, paid for by their mommy and daddy
    Ouch... I disagree, mostly. IMO, good judgment is frequently preceded by bad judgment. Lessons need to be learned and college is a great place to do it. Life lessons, not math, history or other academia...

Sent from my iPhone. Apologies for any misspelling-

Comment

Originally posted by Netminder View Post
      Ouch... I disagree, mostly. IMO, good judgment is frequently preceded by bad judgment. Lessons need to be learned and college is a great place to do it. Life lessons, not math, history or other academia...

take away the math, history, and other academia and what's left? adult day care basically
      nice you agree with me

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
        take away the math, history, and other academia and what's left? adult day care basically
        nice you agree with me
        What's left?! Sex , drugs, rock & roll and the beginning of discovering who you really are... Not what your parents want you to be. If this rite of passage were not available or needed, all colleges would move to online learning exclusively...

Comment

• Originally posted by Netminder View Post
          What's left?! Sex , drugs, rock & roll and the beginning of discovering who you really are... Not what your parents want you to be. If this rite of passage were not available or needed, all colleges would move to online learning exclusively...

Somehow the questionable nature of taking immense joy in exercising one's right to taunt a goalie turned into a debate on the merits (or lack thereof) of the collegiate experience. Weird.

Since this is still a hockey forum for the most part -- UMD vs. SCSU? Gotta think anything less than a sweep would be considered a bad weekend. Hopefully that is followed by a solid showing in the WCHA tournament and a NCAA playoff game at Amsoil? This team (and especially the senior class) certainly deserves that opportunity.
          Ducks Fly Together

Comment

Originally posted by charlieconway View Post
            Somehow the questionable nature of taking immense joy in exercising one's right to taunt a goalie turned into a debate on the merits (or lack thereof) of the collegiate experience. Weird. . . .
            No, it is just puckchucker dragging everything down into the mud

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
              No, it is just puckchucker dragging everything down into the mud
              What, no iPhone caveat? I find "puckchucker's" comments amusing most of the time.

I suppose it's just because I'm "old school" or just old, but I don't like the chants at the women's games, tame as they may be. We haven't noticed as many chants at the men's games the last few years, maybe because we sit across the arena from the student section. Just 10 years ago I'd do the "You're not a black hole..." with the crowd. Don't hear that chant anymore either. Was it outlawed as politically incorrect to vacuums and black holes?

My wife said they still do the chant, but I don't hear it because I'm concentrating on the game. She's being kind.
              "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                and I don't look a day over 30.
                We talkin' 'Dog years here as well?

Comment

Senior Night for The Bulldogs this Saturday...Stalder, Brykaliuk, Morin, McGovern, Crossman and Lindh.

That's gonna smart next year.

http://www.umdbulldogs.com/news/2017...x?path=whockey

Comment

SCSU 0 - UMD 1 after one. SOG SCSU 7 - UMD 24.

It was all Dogs in the first, then again, playing against the Huskies I guess it would be.

McGovern from Brykaliuk and Stalder at 15:42 on a beautiful 3 way play.

Some of the shots though were half hearted but the 'Dogs at times were literally skating circles around SCSU. Lots of beautiful passing.

Elmes still appears to be missing from the lineup but the team looks to be firing on all cylinders in the skating and passing departments...just need to convert...several close ones.

Was hoping to see Crosby's sister Taylor in net for the first time (for me) but that's not happening.

Comment

No change after the second period. SOG SCSU 16 - UMD 34.

Morin hit the post on a J.C. Tremblay lob shot from the neutral zone after it took one bounce.

Second post in the game for UMD.

The score shouldn't be this close after the opportunities UMD has had...gotta increase the conversion rate.

Comment

I see this game is now final...2-1 UMD over SCSU.
                        At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                          I see this game is now final...2-1 UMD over SCSU.
                          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

SCSU 1- UMD 2 Final. SOG SCSU 29 - UMD 40.

Brodt from Lowenhielm at 13:20 of the third with a nice far side wrap around past Alder.

Rooney bailed out the 'Dogs on a horrible defensive play on a two on one when the defender took the far man leaving the puck carrier unchallenged and free to skate in all alone on Rooney.

SCSU pulled Alder with 2:45 left on the clock.

Brodt missed an empty net from the neutral zone but with 26 seconds left in the game Rooney on a miscue of a relatively easy shot gave up her shut out by not being able to control the puck and Haeg bags it from Kudirka and Anderson.

With her glove in the overhand position the puck dropped to the ice at which time her glove would have been better off being in the underhand position but it was too late to adjust. She didn't catch it and tried but couldn't trap it...it squirted loose to her right in front of a half empty net and that was that.

The score shouldn't have been this close. 24 shots in the first and then and average of 8 per period for the last two periods...how do you accomplish that?

More difficulty getting the puck out of their end when SCSU had the man advantage when there shouldn't have been any difficulty...problem was playing robotically instead of thinking for a split second and seeing lots of open ice to fire the puck through and executing instead of trying to force the puck up the boards through 4 bodies and sticks, & 8 legs and feet. The senselessness is glaring in these situations as is the half hearted attempts to clear the puck.

This is not the time of year to be making those peewee league errors.

Everyone has to play like it's for all the marbles and for 60 minutes. While the last two periods of play favoured the 'Dogs they didn't completely dominate as they did in the first and the shot production plummeted as a result.

Hopefully these lapses will be corrected tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
                              Was hoping to see Crosby's sister Taylor in net for the first time (for me) but that's not happening.
                              After the Gophers scored six goals on seven shots at her last season, I learned that Sidney isn't the only offensive catalyst in the family.
                              "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                              And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

UMD's post game wrap...

http://www.umdbulldogs.com/news/2017...x?path=whockey

Comment

Working...
                                X