Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: 2016 UMD Season Thread

Re: 2016 UMD Season Thread

The second was a better period for UMD.

1 for 1 on the Power Play is unusual for them but welcomed.

Need to use their speed and increase the intensity of the forecheck in the third.

Seemed to start the game in the dressing room but this is a lot better...hopefully it continues to build in the third...the opportunities are starting to occur but the offense is still not flowing.

Seems to me that Brodt is a spark plug on this team. When she cranks up the effort and intensity the team usually seems to respond. Crossman can help in this regard as well.

More improvement in the 3rd for the 'Dogs.

They're starting to pop the clutch and it's starting to pay dividends...better offense...but 3 minutes in their own end early on with out being able to clear the puck with opportunities...even when their penalty expired...needs to be worked on...it's beyond terrible.

If they can keep their speed up it should provide a few opportunities in OT.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbeard View Post
    More improvement in the 3rd for the 'Dogs.

They're starting to pop the clutch and it's starting to pay dividends...better offense...but 3 minutes in their own end early on with out being able to clear the puck with opportunities...even when their penalty expired...needs to be worked on...it's beyond terrible.

If they can keep their speed up it should provide a few opportunities in OT.
    OT ended still tied. MN owned the period and had grest chances but can't solve Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by ne7minder View Post
    OT ended still tied. MN owned the period and had grest chances but can't solve Rooney
    Yeah, UMD not playing their best game but they've been steadily improving, with some serious lapses along the way but no question that UM has had the benefit of the play.

Game could have been over several times in the first OT either way.

Peters made a great paddle save, I think in the third and Rooney so far to me is the player of the game.

All of this only benefits UW tomorrow whoever they have to face.

Well, UMD pulls off the win with Stalder's swing at a fat pitch that she hit out of the park.

With all due respect to UM, UMD made this game more difficult than it needed to be regardless of who eventually might have won.

During the first period they were still in the dressing room lacing up and as far as I'm concerned Brykaliuk looked pretty disinterested for most of the game. Ill?

So, playing UW again tomorrow with a serious disadvantage, just like last time 3 weeks ago.

But maybe this is still part of the Possum Play unfolding as planned. We'll shall see.

But some of the serious weaknesses that keep showing up lately need to be addressed.

UMD's recap of yesterday's WCHA Championship Game...

http://umdbulldogs.com/news/2017/3/5...x?path=whockey

Congratulations to Maddie Rooney on being named to the US Women's National Team...quite the weekend she just had...

http://umdbulldogs.com/news/2017/3/6...x?path=whockey

Bump

With graduation & the possibility of Rooney being Centralized it should make for an interesting '17-'18 season for the Dogs! Good luck against the Gophs!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
    Bump
    What does "bump" mean?

Fan of chipmunk-like mascots. ARM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ciscokid View Post
    What does "bump" mean?
    It means the forum was filled with Spam until the moderators removed it so TTT made the actual threads more recently active than that Spam.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

UMD's post game/season recap...

http://www.umdbulldogs.com/news/2017...x?path=whockey

And post game press conference...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDa4qQMxbRs

UMD's post game/season recap...

http://www.umdbulldogs.com/news/2017...x?path=whockey

And post game press conference...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDa4qQMxbRs
    Lara Stalder, Ashleigh Brykaliuk, Sidney Morin, Demi Crossman and Katherine McGovern is a heck of a senior group. The performance and class of UMD this year was outstanding. It will be interesting to see how the program will develop after the loss of those 5 players. They will be hard to replace but this year's Bulldogs team definitely had something bigger going for it than just just those 5.

I wonder what the odds are of Rooney being centralized next year.

Thanks for the press conference link. It's a bit heartrending particularly at the beginning. At one point Rooney said something that made Brykaliuk and Stalder laugh but someone dropped something right when she said it. I wish I could have heard what she said.

I still think it's a shame that this team was so shorthanded for one of their series against Wisconsin. That should have been one of the biggest series of the year in women's hockey

Quote Originally Posted by KTDC View Post
    Lara Stalder, Ashleigh Brykaliuk, Sidney Morin, Demi Crossman and Katherine McGovern is a heck of a senior group. The performance and class of UMD this year was outstanding. It will be interesting to see how the program will develop after the loss of those 5 players. They will be hard to replace but this year's Bulldogs team definitely had something bigger going for it than just just those 5.

I wonder what the odds are of Rooney being centralized next year.

Thanks for the press conference link. It's a bit heartrending particularly at the beginning. At one point Rooney said something that made Brykaliuk and Stalder laugh but someone dropped something right when she said it. I wish I could have heard what she said.

I still think it's a shame that this team was so shorthanded for one of their series against Wisconsin. That should have been one of the biggest series of the year in women's hockey
    Agree with the above. Tremendous accomplishment considering their rising so quickly from the ashes of the UMD-Miller debacle of 2 years ago.

(Forgot to mention...the Possum Play was alluded to in the UMD recap!!...a brilliant strategy that paid huge dividends which will be impossible to duplicate next year since their cover got blown yesterday. But, wait, did it really? Five great seniors gone, including one of the best first lines in the country...untested freshman coming in...their great goaltender possibly centralized...everyone will write them off just like at the beginning of this season...no, could it be?...going to the well again...I think I keep "misunderestimating" their long term forward looking strategy...amazing in its effective simplicity).

Too bad the acoustics at the press conference were less than ideal...tough to hear some of what was said.

And you echoed my previously mentioned sentiments with respect to its being unfortunate that UMD played UW twice recently with such a disadvantage going in to those games. I wanted to see a 60 minute performance like yesterday's, effort wise, like they've produced most of the year, (with normal scoring success), in a game vs UW with no disadvantages for either team going in to see what the outcome would be. With a seriously depleted bench they took UW to OT and then to the shoot out that followed. That showed the calibre of this team in my view.

Good luck the rest of the way...I'll be watching the semis and pleased to be watching the final on the wide screen...(but I have a funny feeling about Clarkson and that 3 years ago may not have been their last train).

I really have to hand it to Lara Stalder for taking responsibility for allowing the Gopher's goal. Also nice to see what Coach Crowell said in response.

From the StarTribune:
    UMD’s Lara Stalder, a Patty Kazmaier finalist with 56 points, blamed herself for not covering Marshall on the play. Stalder had scored the game-winning goal to beat the Gophers just a week earlier, but this game left her wiping tears.
    “I wasn’t looking for a second, and [Marshall] was back door,” Stalder said. “And don’t even try to blame it on Rooney. She held us in the game and made huge saves, and it was my mistake.”

UMD coach Maura Crowell interjected, saying, “We wouldn’t even be in the game if it wasn’t for the way Stalder played all season long.”
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

[QUOTE=D2D;6463043]I really have to hand it to Lara Stalder for taking responsibility for allowing the Gopher's goal. Also nice to see what Coach Crowell said in response.

From the StarTribune:
    UMD’s Lara Stalder, a Patty Kazmaier finalist with 56 points, blamed herself for not covering Marshall on the play. Stalder had scored the game-winning goal to beat the Gophers just a week earlier, but this game left her wiping tears.
    “I wasn’t looking for a second, and [Marshall] was back door,” Stalder said. “And don’t even try to blame it on Rooney. She held us in the game and made huge saves, and it was my mistake.”

UMD coach Maura Crowell interjected, saying, “We wouldn’t even be in the game if it wasn’t for the way Stalder played all season long.”[/QUOTE

Yeah, class act in trying times.

That's when you really see what someone is made of, not when things are going swimmingly for them.

She just demonstrated and validated part of her being selected to the Patty Kaz Final 3...character.

Thanks for posting this as I had lots of trouble hearing what was said because the acoustics were so bad and they sat so far back/away from the microphones.
    Last edited by Blackbeard; 03-13-2017 at 01:07 AM.

everyone will write them off just like at the beginning of this season
    No need to worry. UMD finished in 6th place last year in the WCHA with a 15-21 record. It still received top 10 votes before the season. In fact, I'm pretty sure that every WCHA team except Mankato received top 10 votes this season, even teams with .300 winning percentages. You should be good to go.

Fan of chipmunk-like mascots. ARM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EastFan1 View Post
    In fact, I'm pretty sure that every WCHA team except Mankato received top 10 votes this season, even teams with .300 winning percentages.
    Those Mavericks are a pretty darn good team.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by ARM View Post
    Those Mavericks are a pretty darn good team.
    For dang sure and those Indians, er I mean Mavericks more than doubled their win total from last year and swept eastern powerhouse RIT.

Quote Originally Posted by EastFan1 View Post
    No need to worry. UMD finished in 6th place last year in the WCHA with a 15-21 record. It still received top 10 votes before the season. In fact, I'm pretty sure that every WCHA team except Mankato received top 10 votes this season, even teams with .300 winning percentages. You should be good to go.
    I'm sure Blackbeard appreciates EF1's sincerity and encouragement.
    It seems long overdue for the men's program at the U to make a coaching change.

Thread Information