2016 UMD Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2016 UMD Season Thread

OSU 0 - UMD 2 after two. SOG ?...Live Stats is malfunctioning.

OSU had a few opportunities most notably on a 2 on 1 early in the period which almost netted the desired result. Then a 2 on 1 the other way started many opportunities this period for UMD that they did not capitalize on except for a PP goal by Brykaliuk who deflected one in the crease to move UMD ahead 2-1.

Still a quick game.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
      OSU 0 - UMD 2 after two. SOG ?...Live Stats is malfunctioning.

OSU had a few opportunities most notably on a 2 on 1 early in the period which almost netted the desired result. Then a 2 on 1 the other way started many opportunities this period for UMD that they did not capitalize on except for a PP goal by Brykaliuk who deflected one in the crease to move UMD ahead 2-1.

Still a quick game.
      Could the Buckeyes score on a 5 on 0? They are scary bad on the PP and to pull your goalie with 5 mins left is scary for this team. Team needs to be tougher like Morin when the Buckeyes tried to get too close to Rooney! Not a lot of toughness on this team which is very different to Buckeyes teams of the past.

Comment

OSU 0 - UMD 3 Final.

Stalder, who was pretty much invisible for most of the game, scored an empty netter from around center ice at 3:54 to seal the game, and keep her points streak alive, after OSU had maintained control in UMD's end for around two minutes...not sure how much of that was with the extra attacker.

The 'Dogs had several opportunities again this period that they didn't capitalize on...Mrazova all alone in front couldn't deke Sauve who was dialed in and McGovern missed a wide open net by not going to her backhand for a pass that was virtually impossible to receive on her forehand, which she attempted to do.

OSU had a 5 on 3 for about 1 1/2 minutes at about 8:55 but no go.

Hopefully UMD can replace the scoring next season that they will be losing to graduation and hopefully OSU has recruited some scoring talent for next season to fill that whole in their lineup.

Comment

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
          Could the Buckeyes score on a 5 on 0? They are scary bad on the PP and to pull your goalie with 5 mins left is scary for this team. Team needs to be tougher like Morin when the Buckeyes tried to get too close to Rooney! Not a lot of toughness on this team which is very different to Buckeyes teams of the past.
          Well, I agree about Morin, but things were getting a little heated in front of Sauve several times with Sauve even giving one of the 'Dogs a good shove from behind after the whistle at one point for which I thought she might be called. And some Bucks were getting protective of Sauve at times with some of the 'Dogs who were standing their ground and I thought tempers were going to flare...a few arms were flying...the refs had to jump in a few times to make sure things didn't deteriorate. Another time Sauve got what I think was an inadvertent face wash and looked to the ref for redress but no go...she didn't seem upset by it though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
            Well, I agree about Morin, but things were getting a little heated in front of Sauve several times with Sauve even giving one of the 'Dogs a good shove from behind after the whistle at one point for which I thought she might be called. And some Bucks were getting protective of Sauve at times with some of the 'Dogs who were standing their ground and I thought tempers were going to flare...a few arms were flying...the refs had to jump in a few times to make sure things didn't deteriorate. Another time Sauve got what I think was an inadvertent face wash and looked to the ref for redress but no go...she didn't seem upset by it though.
            Saw things differently from where I was sitting however one thing is clear, UMD's first line is as good as any line in the NCAA. They will be tough to beat from here on in. A lot of push for Stalder and the PK which I get but AB should get equal consideration. She's the best player on the Bulldogs.

Comment

UMD's recap of today's game...

http://www.umdbulldogs.com/news/2017...x?path=whockey

Comment

Buckeyes play 3 to 4 D and 2 lines most of the time. They cannot keep up for three periods unless the opponent has a short bench much like Minnesota did last weekend. This team should look forward to next year.
                It did not work in Minny last weekend and appears it did not work this weekend. Good coaches coach and not shorten the bench for periods at a time. This will lead to more injuries than goals. Buckeyes are not a well coached team. Very individualistic with no support. Easy system for other coaches to break down. If not for Sauve this team may not have won a game.

Comment

• Originally posted by dd17 View Post
                  It did not work in Minny last weekend and appears it did not work this weekend. Good coaches coach and not shorten the bench for periods at a time. This will lead to more injuries than goals. Buckeyes are not a well coached team. Very individualistic with no support. Easy system for other coaches to break down. If not for Sauve this team may not have won a game.
                  The players that aren't playing regularly are getting the message about their futures with the new coach. Sounds like she'll be replacing them as soon as she gets her own recruits in the door. Not sure it means she's a bad coach. If you don't have the horses to win the race you probably need new horses, or just don't enter the race to begin with. It's her stable of horses to run as she sees fit. You obviously don't like it but that doesn't mean she's wrong or a bad coach. She's trying hard to win some games to attract better recruits to the program as soon as she can. I'd say she knows exactly what she's doing and doesn't care if you approve or not. Kudos to her. I think that program needs someone like her to get it back on track. The last two coaches were awful for the reputation of the program.

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                    The players that aren't playing regularly are getting the message about their futures with the new coach. Sounds like she'll be replacing them as soon as she gets her own recruits in the door. Not sure it means she's a bad coach. If you don't have the horses to win the race you probably need new horses, or just don't enter the race to begin with. It's her stable of horses to run as she sees fit. You obviously don't like it but that doesn't mean she's wrong or a bad coach. She's trying hard to win some games to attract better recruits to the program as soon as she can. I'd say she knows exactly what she's doing and doesn't care if you approve or not. Kudos to her. I think that program needs someone like her to get it back on track. The last two coaches were awful for the reputation of the program.
                    Jenny Potter did a lot of damage to this program in one year ! It appears the new coach is doing the best she can with what she has to build, outstanding goaltending, better than average defence and very, very limited offence. It takes time to develop and build.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigFan View Post
                      Jenny Potter did a lot of damage to this program in one year ! It appears the new coach is doing the best she can with what she has to build, outstanding goaltending, better than average defence and very, very limited offence. It takes time to develop and build.
                      Dani Sadek and Lauren Boyle are 2 of the top 10 D in the conference and will be there again next year along with the Dunne sisters. Very strong top 4. The Buckeyes will be tough to play against next year moreso if they can bolster their offense.

Comment

Dani Sadek and Lauren Boyle are 2 of the top 10 D in the conference and will be there again next year along with the Dunne sisters. Very strong top 4. The Buckeyes will be tough to play against next year moreso if they can bolster their offense.
                        Absolutely they have a very strong D core. But here is a question. Which one actually plays D? Watching, the forwards never get the puck. The D carry it down the ice almost every time and the forwards have to stop and wait for them. There is no regroup or D to D cycle but silly dump-ins or shots to the goalies mid-section. Who plays dump and chase in womens hockey?. Once in the offensive zone, a F is always sitting back covering while a D is down low attacking. Its a big reason why the D have so many more shots on net that the F. No question a few stronger forwards are needed but I believe the biggest need is a stay at home D that can move the puck to the forwards. Otherwise this team will be fighting in 1 goal games as they have all year. Dont get me wrong, offensive D are valuable and jumping into the play is a necessity, but if a D had natural goal scoring ability they would have been moved up to F a long time ago.

Comment

Originally posted by crutch View Post
                          Dont get me wrong, offensive D are valuable and jumping into the play is a necessity, but if a D had natural goal scoring ability they would have been moved up to F a long time ago.
                          There is so much of this statement that is out of synch with how women D are taught to play when young and the type of D that are recruited at the D1 level that I wouldn't even know where to begin..... I'll just say (again) that D1 coaches recruit offensive defensemen primarily (and hope to teach defense) and you get what you recruit.

Comment

I was told there was a discussion going on here about the Buckeyes. As for Coach Muzerall and her staff, there will always be attrition when a new coach comes in. I think she is going about things the right way and I am trusting the process. As others have already alluded to, I think this team is solid defensively with Kass in net and the D's we have. Where we really need help is offense. I was talking to one of the parents a few weeks back at Penn State and he said that every time our opponents have scored more than one goal, we have lost those games. Looking at our scores this season ... yep, spot on. That is a lot of pressure to put on the defensemen and goaltender. In order to get a W, they have to hold everyone to one goal or shut them out. Clearly, that is a sign that we need offense/goal scorers. From what I understand and hear from those who know, we do have some scoring coming in next season. Then again, regardless of how good the player is, there is always an adjustment period with the college game, so we will see, but I think the program is in good hands now with Coach Muzerall and Coach Koizumi. I am looking forward to the team being back home for a couple weekends ... St. Cloud this weekend and Minnesota State the weekend of 2/10 - 2/11. After that, it's the regular season finale at North Dakota. We need to take advantage of the opportunities we have to get points in these next couple weekends at home and break the logjam (OSU, Bemidji, St. Cloud, all with 19 points).

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
                              I was told there was a discussion going on here about the Buckeyes. As for Coach Muzerall and her staff, there will always be attrition when a new coach comes in. I think she is going about things the right way and I am trusting the process. As others have already alluded to, I think this team is solid defensively with Kass in net and the D's we have. Where we really need help is offense. I was talking to one of the parents a few weeks back at Penn State and he said that every time our opponents have scored more than one goal, we have lost those games. Looking at our scores this season ... yep, spot on. That is a lot of pressure to put on the defensemen and goaltender. In order to get a W, they have to hold everyone to one goal or shut them out. Clearly, that is a sign that we need offense/goal scorers. From what I understand and hear from those who know, we do have some scoring coming in next season. Then again, regardless of how good the player is, there is always an adjustment period with the college game, so we will see, but I think the program is in good hands now with Coach Muzerall and Coach Koizumi. I am looking forward to the team being back home for a couple weekends ... St. Cloud this weekend and Minnesota State the weekend of 2/10 - 2/11. After that, it's the regular season finale at North Dakota. We need to take advantage of the opportunities we have to get points in these next couple weekends at home and break the logjam (OSU, Bemidji, St. Cloud, all with 19 points).
                              Wow. Great post. Dont know much about the team as I only saw them play last week in Minnesota. Looking at the teams statistics on http://collegehockeystats.net/ this matches your comments. The top 4 forward scorers are a sophomore, a junior, a freshman and a freshman. 3 of the other top 7 scorers are on D, a freshman, a junior and a sophomore. Here is hoping all are back next year which could form a solid base for the team and should set them up nicely over the next few years. Add in at least 2 more good forwards and they should have 2 solid scoring lines.

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
                                Wow. Great post. Dont know much about the team as I only saw them play last week in Minnesota. Looking at the teams statistics on http://collegehockeystats.net/ this matches your comments. The top 4 forward scorers are a sophomore, a junior, a freshman and a freshman. 3 of the other top 7 scorers are on D, a freshman, a junior and a sophomore. Here is hoping all are back next year which could form a solid base for the team and should set them up nicely over the next few years. Add in at least 2 more good forwards and they should have 2 solid scoring lines

Comment

Working...
                                X