Clear All

Re: 2016 UMD Season Thread

Wrap from UMD's site...
    http://www.umdbulldogs.com/news/2016...x?path=whockey

Highlights of today's game...
    http://www.undsports.com/ViewArticle...CLID=211294415

Comment

This past weekend's series with UND produced all 3 of the WCHA's Players of the Week including the Dog's Stalder (Offensive) and Rooney (Defensive) with UND's Houston scooping up the Rookie of the Week for the second week in a row.

I suppose that would be Rookie of the Fortnight.

http://www.wcha.com/women/pres1617/201611/nov15wpw.php
      Last edited by Blackbeard; 11-16-2016, 12:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
        This past weekend's series with UND produced all 3 of the WCHA's Players of the Week...
        With only one other series played this past weekend the odds of that happening were pretty good!
        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

I suppose that would be Rookie of the Fortnight.
          Ok that was good.

Comment

UW 0 - UMD 0 after one.

Ard not playing...I sense an opportunity.

SOG UW 20 - UMD 3...I sense a loss of an opportunity.

The 'Dogs seemed to start out quickly but their passing is not clicking and they are not flowing. UW picked up the tempo and quickly turned the very temporary tide and have dominated play hemming the 'Dogs in their own end and confounding the 'Dogs with their forechecking. They've taken a play out of the 'Dogs' book and turned it on them.

Even though Rooney wasn`t terribly tested if the SOG continues at this pace it`s only a matter of time until UW buries one.

The `Dogs have to crank it up and tighten up the passing and give UW something to be concerned about which has not been the case so far...although Stalder did miss an open net.
            Last edited by Blackbeard; 11-18-2016, 08:04 PM.

Comment

UW 0 - UMD 1 after two. SOG UW 32 - UMD 19.

Morin cleared a puck away out of the crease, after a shot had hit the post and then hit Rooney in the back and fell into the crease behind her, before it could roll into the net. Close call.

UMD giving up pucks for most of the period...passing game is still in the dressing room and they started doing a lot of standing around in their own end watching UW show them how it`s done.

We had Cece right where we wanted her...she was frozen stiff!!!!

Stalder point blank on Cece from Cece`s left but no go, Cece just stood her ground and no openings were available.

Lowenhielm from Brodt at 4:42 on a power play but I think it went in off a UW defenceman`s skate.

Another UMD power play immediately afterwards with a few opportunities but the `Dogs are not sharp yet and gave the puck away a few times with the odd man.

If the `Dogs ever get dialed in this is going to get extremely interesting...for both teams.
              Last edited by Blackbeard; 11-18-2016, 11:40 PM.

Comment

. . . If the `Dogs ever get dialed in this is going to get extremely interesting...for both teams.
                3-0, apparently they came close enough to be dialed in. I did say after seeing them at Ridder that the dogs who be heck to play against at home.

Comment

UMD 4 - UW 1 final. SOG UW 46 - UMD 30.

16:01 of the 3rd Stalder to Brodt to McGovern on a wraparound and a second effort to poke it in.

13:31 of the 3rd on a beauty by Mrazova who deeked a defender took a shot got her own rebound and backhanded it in past Cece

Then UW scored after Stalder, surprisingly, made her 3rd mistake of the game behind the UMD goal and coughed it up with the puck getting out to the point where Rowe took the shot and in through traffic...from Wellhausen and Roque.

Lastly at 6:48 Brykaliuk with a nice wrist shot from the top of the face off circle.

The `Dogs` confidence seemed to grow after their first goal which was helpful because I was starting to wonder if they were playing scared. It was starting to look like it to me.

While their play improved in the last half of the game the `Dogs seriously underperformed in this one, (their passing was terrible and they were often slow to the puck as though they thought there was no urgency), more so in the first half, so this is a great outcome considering.
                  Last edited by Blackbeard; 11-18-2016, 10:23 PM.

Comment

UMD site wrap...with highlight video at the bottom of the article...

Last edited by Blackbeard; 11-18-2016, 10:35 PM.

Comment

UMD site wrap...with highlight video at the bottom of the article...

Unless it's just wishful thinking, they should probably rewrite the headline. Top-Ranked Bulldogs?

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                        Unless it's just wishful thinking, they should probably rewrite the headline. Top-Ranked Bulldogs?
                        Yeah, I didn`t notice that.

I`ve always taken exception to the way hyperbole finds its way into UMD`s post game write ups. Hyperbole at times to the point of no credibility. Rah, rah is one thing, but no credibility is something else.

Maybe what was meant was not top ranked as in #1 but as in top group or one of the top teams...who knows?

Comment

Yeah, I didn`t notice that.

I`ve always taken exception to the way hyperbole finds its way into UMD`s post game write ups. Hyperbole at times to the point of no credibility. Rah, rah is one thing, but no credibility is something else.

Maybe what was meant was not top ranked as in #1 but as in top group or one of the top teams...who knows?
                          Maybe they read this forum, it is changed now to something about #3 Bulldogs taking down #1.

I know you won't believe this but some of us are actually excited to have the Bulldogs back in the mix. The more the merrier, it makes the season a lot more interesting if for no other reason than to hear the plaintive wailing of East Coast fans . If OSU steps up (and they appear to be gathering the talent to do that before they got the new coach) and BSU adds some scoring, playing in the WCHA could become very interesting with 8 or 10 weekends every season that decide the final standings. Welcome back!

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
                            Maybe they read this forum, it is changed now to something about #3 Bulldogs taking down #1.

I know you won't believe this but some of us are actually excited to have the Bulldogs back in the mix. The more the merrier, it makes the season a lot more interesting if for no other reason than to hear the plaintive wailing of East Coast fans . If OSU steps up (and they appear to be gathering the talent to do that before they got the new coach) and BSU adds some scoring, playing in the WCHA could become very interesting with 8 or 10 weekends every season that decide the final standings. Welcome back!
                            Ditto...And the added bonus of not having to watch sequined jacket antics behind the bench.
                            At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                              Ditto...And the added bonus of not having to watch sequined jacket antics behind the bench.
                              I was not going to open an old wound but the fact that they got good without her makes it easier to be happy about it.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                                Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
                                I was not going to open an old wound but the fact that they got good without her makes it easier to be happy about it.
                                Without mentioning names I can only assume you guys are referring to the "bull(dog) in the china shop"?

Comment

Working...
                                X