Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 UMD Season Thread

2016 UMD Season Thread

The 'Dogs step up to the plate as usual in non conference games playing BC and Hahhvaaad...

http://www.umdbulldogs.com/news/2016...x?path=whockey

Also new assistant coach, now both Duluthians...

Re: 2016 UMD Season Thread

Any thoughts about UMD as a parent of a prospective player?
    - good coaching?
    - how does UMD rate as a school, academically?

Any info/concerns (good or bad) would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by hockeydad23 View Post
    - good coaching?

-good coaching - good school - nice campus- cold winters- Go for it if you can

- good coaching?

There are no objective ratings for academic standards...only opinions that pretend to be objective and opinions that are obviously subjective, as in "I went there and it was awesome!"

Best for the student athlete to first determine if the university in question offers academic programs that she would be interested in majoring in, the feel/impression/comfort level she gets on her fly down/visit to the campus, impression of the coaching staff and feel for what the team is all about and where it is headed...although most of this is subjective as well. But that's the way life is more often than not. You try to figure it out with your head and go with your gut.

There is a lot of life left over after hockey.

Best to prepare for it as best as one can.

- good coaching?

At great personal risk:

- Don't know where you're from, but horrible location for most things with rough winters. If your daughter is looking for something beyond just playing hockey and going to classes, then this would be a tough place for her.
    - Coaching is still TBD. Potentially good but it will take another 2 or 3 years to really know. The coaching staff did little with last year's decent team (6 of 8 in the strongest conference), but that team was a mess after a coaching fiasco and on a downward trend before that so not fair to draw an absolute conclusion from last season. Recruiting success seems limited to date. I'd say it is 50-50 at this point whether the staff will be successful. Also - pick the school first then see if the hockey works - the school is way more important, bringing us to...
    - The school is average at best. If you have a specific major in mind it is possible that UMD is highly accomplished in that particular academic area, but generally just OK. While others dispute the various unaffiliated rankings, they exist for a reason which is to identify the relative quality of schools and give potential students the opportunity to compare schools without going everywhere. They play a role in the process and are valuable - probably even more so post-graduation as recruiters and people in the real world look at the same rankings as prospective students. When I recruited engineers years ago for instance, I can tell you definitively that I was way more interested in a B student from MIT or Caltech than I was in a B student from U Mass Amherst or Rutgers because I knew that the first two schools attracted better students and produced better engineers and the rankings reflected this. They matter and you should look at them.

All that being said, the "feel" of the school and the potential student's fit is really the ultimate decider (as Blackbeard says). If it passes the rankings review and your daughter would be happy there than by all means....

Quote Originally Posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
    At great personal risk:

- Don't know where you're from, but horrible location for most things with rough winters. If your daughter is looking for something beyond just playing hockey and going to classes, then this would be a tough place for her.
    This assumes that the daughter in question has no interest in outdoor activities, and especially winter outdoor activities, to occupy the little spare time that these student/athletes have available to them.

'Dogs down the Whitecaps 4-1 at Amsoil this afternoon...looks like a good start to the season...

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbeard View Post
    'Dogs down the Whitecaps 4-1 at Amsoil this afternoon...looks like a good start to the season...

I spoke to one of the Whitecaps players after the game. I asked her good UMD was this year and her response was, "they are goooooood!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by 2Bladedskates View Post
    I spoke to one of the Whitecaps players after the game. I asked her good UMD was this year and her response was, "they are goooooood!!!"
    Well, that settles it then!
    Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
    Senior men's & women's hockey writer at BC Interruption
    Twitter: @Salzano14

2017-2018 Men's & Women's GRaNT Computer Rankings
    2016-2017 NCAA Women's Hockey Pairwise Predictor -- '17-'18 Pairwise Calculator coming November 4th!
    2017-2018 BCI Women's Hockey KRACH Calculator

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
    Well, that settles it then!
    It may not settle it, but I was surprised by her comment. Coming from someone who has played with the best of the best (Olympics) I was expecting her to down play the 'Dogs a little bit. She had nothing but respect for them and thought they were much improved from last year.

Thought you all would be interested in a couple of weekend previews:

BC Interruption Q&A with Runnin' With The Dogs: http://www.bcinterruption.com/boston...-with-the-dogs

Runnin' With The Dogs Q&A with BC Interruption: https://runninwiththedogs.com/2016/0...-interruption/

2016-2017 NCAA Women's Hockey Pairwise Predictor -- '17-'18 Pairwise Calculator coming November 4th!

Well, that was fun!
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Quote Originally Posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
    (it may be unfair for me to say, because I was only there for a weekend - 2012 Women's Final Four - and I was only 'downtown', and never saw campus, etc; but...)

Duluth is/was my least favorite city that I have ever visited. Cold (and I grew up in Wisconsin), gray, 'rocky'; the downtown was a mix of pawn shops and tattoo parlors, and not much else. The 'joke' that kept running though my mind was "Now I know why UMD has so many foreign players on their roster; they must commit to coming here 'site unseen', because anyone who actually comes here first...."

By ALL means, make an in-person visit before committing!

Making America Great Again
    on the road helping illegals move to Canada

rough crowd!

Quote Originally Posted by robertearle View Post
    Duluth is my least favorite city ... the downtown was a mix of pawn shops and tattoo parlors, and not much else.
    if your idea of a beautiful town is shopping centers and strip malls, head west out of town on 53
    yeah, downtown has a seedy quality to it, but then what large city doesn't?
    ever been to Milwaukee or Chicago?
    makes Duluth look like Mayberry

Quote Originally Posted by robertearle View Post

By ALL means, make an in-person visit before committing!
    true for any school

cold? considering where the vast majority of athletes come from ...
    people from Winnipeg & Saskatoon consider Duluth the French Riviera (especially after visiting UND)
    NE US gets more snow and can be just as cold

a kid from CA, FL, or the SW is going to have to learn to like the cold & snow no matter where they go
    if anybody knows any illegals needing a ride to Canada, lemme know
    ... once the migrants are in Canada they are released and can live freely while their claims for refugee status are processed, which can take years. Meanwhile, they are eligible for public assistance.

Quote Originally Posted by pokechecker View Post
    rough crowd!

if your idea of a beautiful town is shopping centers and strip malls, head west out of town on 53
    yeah, downtown has a seedy quality to it, but then what large city doesn't?
    ever been to Milwaukee or Chicago?
    makes Duluth look like Mayberry

true for any school

cold? considering where the vast majority of athletes come from ...
    people from Winnipeg & Saskatoon consider Duluth the French Riviera (especially after visiting UND)
    NE US gets more snow and can be just as cold

a kid from CA, FL, or the SW is going to have to learn to like the cold & snow no matter where they go
    Take a trip down to Canton or Potsdam and Duluth will look like Paris!

Quote Originally Posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
    Take a trip down to Canton or Potsdam and Duluth will look like Paris!
    You'll be hearing from the Potsdam Chamber of Commerce!!

Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    You'll be hearing from the Potsdam Chamber of Commerce!!
    He can write some nasty letters.

I wonder where you went . . . but, downtown Duluth is in the middle of quite a transformation. Maybe you'll come back some day. I also grew up in Wisconsin but the kind of cold Duluth can have is just different - Lake Superior adds an entirely different dimension. I love Duluth - the Lake is something to behold - vicious in the winter; sublime the rest of the year. Anyone that visits can be transfixed.

Quote Originally Posted by binnyrus View Post
    Anyone that visits can be transfixed.
    Well, that's probably true.

Quote Originally Posted by binnyrus View Post
    I wonder where you went . . . but, downtown Duluth is in the middle of quite a transformation. Maybe you'll come back some day. I also grew up in Wisconsin but the kind of cold Duluth can have is just different - Lake Superior adds an entirely different dimension. I love Duluth - the Lake is something to behold - vicious in the winter; sublime the rest of the year. Anyone that visits can be transfixed.
    Duluth is taking some tough hits here! Definitely not everyone's cup of tea. But a lot of people love Duluth.

Thread Information