OSWEGO STATE HOCKEY 2016-17 #NoMoreFancyHashtags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: OSWEGO STATE HOCKEY 2016-17 #NoMoreFancyHashtags

Just amazed that in the last 2 games there was no heart, soul, or energy in the players. To loose straight home games that were big ones was not the way I think Gosek was contemplating. I think that Gosek got out coached again for there was no adjustments made to hamilton. They forced most of the shots from bad angles and we did nothing to correct this. Only in the last 8 minutes did thier goalie get really tested. Lets hope the Freshmen remember this bad taste moving into next year. Lets hope Gosek brings in some new talent that really buys into the team concept for there was to much individual play in the last 2 games.
    Don't mean to sound negative for we did have a really good year and a nice bounce back year from the year before.
    Oswego '88

Comment

I agree with you on all counts DIIIFan. It wasn't until a great second effort by MacMillan, in my opinion the best player on the ice all night, finally got rewarded that the team woke up. They totally dominated the last 6 minutes but didn't get any breaks. If they had brought that same intensity for the entire 60 minutes against Platty and Hamilton they would have run them both right out of the building.

Comment

Next year will be exciting, a lot of new faces. I think there will be a slight shift in team philosophy as our top D men should be/have been more defensive minded vs Hybrids.

Top D Line i predict will be Brun and Campbell, Pelnik could be a force (Will battle engval up in Platt.) if he can stay out of trouble on the ice he looked good in his few shots other than some uneeded business. Rutkowski is physical aswell as Mac, who got the most time as freshmen this year. We will have a solid Defensive core, lets hope our offense can continue to roll as it will be mostly unknown however I expect Herlihey to lead the way in a very similar the Neil fashion.

We know we have another goaltender in Richer to battle Jacobson and heck even Hansen has looked good in his chances, but does anyone know anything about Mascarin? showing committed for 17-18' but is not at school now like Richer.

Comment

Originally posted by OZrebel View Post
          Next year will be exciting, a lot of new faces. I think there will be a slight shift in team philosophy as our top D men should be/have been more defensive minded vs Hybrids.

Top D Line i predict will be Brun and Campbell, Pelnik could be a force (Will battle engval up in Platt.) if he can stay out of trouble on the ice he looked good in his few shots other than some uneeded business. Rutkowski is physical aswell as Mac, who got the most time as freshmen this year. We will have a solid Defensive core, lets hope our offense can continue to roll as it will be mostly unknown however I expect Herlihey to lead the way in a very similar the Neil fashion.

We know we have another goaltender in Richer to battle Jacobson and heck even Hansen has looked good in his chances, but does anyone know anything about Mascarin? showing committed for 17-18' but is not at school now like Richer.
          dont think we will see Mascarin,he was a no show and looks like he didnt play anywhere else .With the loss of Waterstreet I wouldnt mind see Pelnik give forward a try he would mix it up IFO the net for sure,if not he will need more time in games to figure out the game at this level.
          Last edited by bakdraft21; 03-13-2017, 02:36 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by bakdraft21 View Post
            dont think we will see Mascarin,he was a no show and looks like he didnt play anywhere else .With the loss of Waterstreet I wouldnt mind see Pelnik give forward a try he would mix it up IFO the net for sure,if not he will need more time in games to figure out the game at this level.
            That's to bad to hear, looks like he had a comeback year and may continue.

Pelnik at forward would be interesting, but would love to see him have some more time on D that long reach could be great, curious as to what's going on with Durocher we saw him this year what twice? he can also fill that role.

Of the freshman going into next year Sullivan/huffnagle/Scorpio are the most likely to produce I think.

Was sad to see Berry pulled out the other night, he's not an offensive producer but he causes havoc and that leads to chances through his shiftiness for others.

Comment

[QUOTE=DIIIFan;6463251]Just amazed that in the last 2 games there was no heart, soul, or energy in the players. To loose straight home games that were big ones was not the way I think Gosek was contemplating. I think that Gosek got out coached again for there was no adjustments made to hamilton. They forced most of the shots from bad angles and we did nothing to correct this. Only in the last 8 minutes did thier goalie get really tested. Lets hope the Freshmen remember this bad taste moving into next year. Lets hope Gosek brings in some new talent that really buys into the team concept for there was to much individual play in the last 2 games.

I can't say I agree with much of this. These Seniors couldn't care less who scored, they wanted to win. They either put to much pressure on themselves or felt to much pressure and tried to do to much. Specifically in the Hamilton game I can remember 3 times when Herlihey or Davies or someone had the puck but could not find anyone open to pass to, they kept trying but eventually loss the puck. I don't remember any open players, who didn't get the puck or someone at least trying to get the puck to them?Individual play wasn't a sign of selfishness but of effort and opportunity. Heart, Soul and Talent was there, energy just couldn't be released.

I'm sure the coach knows better then me, but from a distance he seemed to handle the goalie situation poorly. It would be hard to imagine either goalie having much confidence in themselves against Hamilton. In the end Z didn't have enough games this year,(not all the coach, Z injury). But did you see the replay of the first goal, Jacobson is not defending the net at all. Yes I know, the goalie can't score the goals to.

We also dressed a smaller team against Hamilton. Zizek, Scorpio, Huffnagle in, Sullivan, Emmerson, Berry out. With Brun already out, we looked very small.
              The Brun injury and Botten playing on 1 knee the last 2 games, noticeable limp, were bigger factors then I think we have recognized. Botten is our #1 center, on one leg and Brun has to be our #2 or 3 defensemen, these injuries weakened our team.

As for the future, Huffnagle created a lot against Hamilton, he impressed me. I think Zizek can have an impact as well as Scorpio and Sullivan. Herlihey will lead but he's a great all around player, we will need to find some scorers and PP shooters. I'm not crazy about Campbell, I see MacMillian and Brun as our # 1 pairing, then Campbell and Rutkowski then 2 rookies, I don't think Pelnik can play here.

Goaltending is our best chance of improving a position. The Richter guy impressed everyone who saw him before practices became official. If you can improve only one position on your team, goaltending is it. Anyways, just my opinion, my 2 cents. Go Lakers!

Comment

Tough ending to a very good season. Excellent record, won the Pathfinder, won the regular season SUNYAC. Just couldn't finish.

We averaged 5.7 goals per game through January and February, but could only get three between Plattsburgh and Hamilton. Not sure what happened to Galati- he was on fire during the middle of the season but hasn't scored a goal since late January- maybe the injury? Platty and Hamilton both played the same kind of game- put a lot of bodies between the puck and the net, clogged up the middle, blocked a lot of shots. A lot of posts in the Plattsburgh game, so that one we lost by fractions of an inch, then Buitenhuis came up huge in the last game.

We did seem to lack the fire in the last two games- that's pretty hard to explain with the large group of seniors getting their last chance. Not the same team that roared back from behind at Geneseo six weeks ago. Campbell makes me nervous going forward- he's averaging a penalty a game, about double anyone else on the team.

Thanks to the players and the staff, we really appreciate all you do- a class operation.

Looking forward to some good hockey in Utica in two weeks- it just won't be quite the same...
                Oswego State 1980 Grad
                (attended in one way or another from 1968-1988, don't ask..... )

Comment

Many of us made it to all games this year including the debacle in Vermont. We felt that this team, which made a great comeback from last year, was a very talented team. A good mix of talented freshmen to seniors. Many of us have been analyzing the Plattsburgh and Hamilton game. Bottom line we got beat. Coaching staff deserves a lot of the credit for their comeback this year. I told Coach he owes us three more games, Lol.
                  My question today, we know that Adrian has been penalized for the first game of the playoffs, which is in Wisconsin at Stevens Point. Is their coach Krug and the three players allowed to travel with the ream to Wisconsin?

Comment

Originally posted by lakont55 View Post
                    Many of us made it to all games this year including the debacle in Vermont. We felt that this team, which made a great comeback from last year, was a very talented team. A good mix of talented freshmen to seniors. Many of us have been analyzing the Plattsburgh and Hamilton game. Bottom line we got beat. Coaching staff deserves a lot of the credit for their comeback this year. I told Coach he owes us three more games, Lol.
                    My question today, we know that Adrian has been penalized for the first game of the playoffs, which is in Wisconsin at Stevens Point. Is their coach Krug and the three players allowed to travel with the ream to Wisconsin?
                    It's my understanding, based on the following link, that it's only coach Krug and one player who are suspended for the upcoming game with WSP. Here is the link to the NCAA news release from September 22, 2016 http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/...nd-suspensions

I don't know if the player traveled this weekend but coach Krug did travel.

Comment

I think Campbell will have a much better season next yr as he will know what to expect,that said we will need a few more dmen to solidify the core but otherwise I am not to worried about the D....Has anyone seen the recruit goalie Richer play,did he skate this yr,and will he be a frshman or soph,otherwise I think we will be OK with Jake Hansen and Richer,if they all come back....Rooting for Norwich..

Comment

Shawn Hulshof has earned himself a tryout with the Indy Fuel of the ECHL.

Comment

Originally posted by Laker28 View Post
                          Shawn Hulshof has earned himself a tryout with the Indy Fuel of the ECHL.
                          And gets a point in his first game!

Kenny Neil gets a three game tryout with Pensacola!
                          Oswego State 1980 Grad
                          (attended in one way or another from 1968-1988, don't ask..... )

Comment

Kenny Neil, got the 1 star this evening, and had the shootout game winner from the 5th shooter spot, and records his first goal with that. Glad to see these guys getting a shot.

Comment

Good post game article and glimpse into the future, with imbedded video.

http://www.oswegonian.com/2017/03/15...ll-the-future/

Comment

Originally posted by coasttocoast View Post
                                Good post game article and glimpse into the future, with imbedded video.

http://www.oswegonian.com/2017/03/15...ll-the-future/
                                very nice job,the no call IFO the net on Neil was vexing,they call that all year long and the ref swallows his whistle all of a sudden.

Comment

Working...
                                X