UAH Hockey 2016-17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UAH Hockey 2016-17

Very disappointed in the second portion of the game tonight. The team just quit skating and working to get shots on the net, these are games that you have to win. Kudos to Alaska for making the comeback.

Comment

Originally posted by UAHHerd4 View Post
      Very disappointed in the second portion of the game tonight. The team just quit skating and working to get shots on the net, these are games that you have to win. Kudos to Alaska for making the comeback.
      The box score was a 3-3 OT tie. What happened to the new WCHA overtime format this season which prevents a tie from happening?
      Originally Posted by aparch
      I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
        The box score was a 3-3 OT tie. What happened to the new WCHA overtime format this season which prevents a tie from happening?
        Since is was tied up after the 5 min OT, the official score is a 3-3 tie. Many box scores indicate that UAF took the extra WCHA point somewhere, just not the official scoring line. But it's still a tie.

A pretty good result for the Nooks considering the first half of the game where we went down 3-0. Overall play was uninspiring and not great goaltending. We looked like a much better team the second half. We had some good opportunities to win it in the third and in OT, just couldn't quite bury the puck. Hope we have a better start tonight and maintain some consistency. Encouraging to see the boys claw their way back into that one after the rough start.

Go Nooks!

Comment

Originally posted by mmf View Post
          Since is was tied up after the 5 min OT, the official score is a 3-3 tie. Many box scores indicate that UAF took the extra WCHA point somewhere, just not the official scoring line. But it's still a tie.

A pretty good result for the Nooks considering the first half of the game where we went down 3-0. Overall play was uninspiring and not great goaltending. We looked like a much better team the second half. We had some good opportunities to win it in the third and in OT, just couldn't quite bury the puck. Hope we have a better start tonight and maintain some consistency. Encouraging to see the boys claw their way back into that one after the rough start.

Go Nooks!
          Yeah props to you guys, they outplayed UAH the second half of the game. We quit skating and tried to play conservative. Doesn't usually work and it cost us tonight. I guess we are still trying to figure out how to hold on to a lead.

Comment

Originally posted by mmf View Post

Go Nooks!
            So did they play an additional 3 on 3 five minute overtime following the 5 on 5 overtime period? And if they were still tied, why didn't they go to a shooutout? Or did they? The stats are not at all clear.

3-on-3 OT and Shootout: Ensuring that each contest will have a "winner" in the league standings, each WCHA regular season league game that remains tied after regulation and the NCAA-mandated, five-minute 5-on-5 overtime period will now advance to a second five-minute overtime period, of 3-on-3 play; if the game is still tied, it will be settled in a sudden death shootout (wherein each team will receive a minimum of one shot, and the second team to shoot can match if the first team to shoot, scores). Games decided in 3-on-3 overtime or shootout will officially be recorded as a tie, but the winner will receive an extra point in the WCHA standings.
            Three-point Games: Coinciding with the new overtime format, each WCHA regular season league game will now be worth three points. Teams will be awarded the full three points for winning in regulation or the 5-on-5 overtime period; will receive one point for a tie (after regulation and the 5-on-5 overtime); and, one point for winning in 3-on-3 overtime or shootout.
            - See more at: http://www.wcha.com/men/pres1617/201....AzvlRHiI.dpuf

I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
              So did they play an additional 3 on 3 five minute overtime following the 5 on 5 overtime period? And if they were still tied, why didn't they go to a shooutout? Or did they? The stats are not at all clear.
              They played the 3-on-3 overtime after the 5-on-5. Alaska scored 21 seconds into the 3-on-3, so it ended there.

Box score shows a note after records: "Alaska Scores in 3x3 Overtime"
              http://collegehockeystats.net/1617/boxes/makfalh1.n11

Keep in mind that no statistics count in the 3-on-3 OT.
              Michael Napier - UAH '97
              uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey
              U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
              NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
              CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
              CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

Comment

For UAH's Brandon Carlson Senior Night came a bit early... Due to the early start to his academics his eligibility ran out before the season did so he played his last D1 game last night. He's technically eligible until the 28th but since there are no more games before then sadly, he's done as an on-ice Charger player.

Here's the sendoff that his teammates gave him...
                Doug
                UAH 1974
                Charger Hockey - Born 1979 ~ Killed 2012
                Executioner: Malcom Portera - Chancellor, University of Alabama System
                Reason: Hates all things not in Tuscaloosa (i.e. UAH & UAB)
                Revived: Two Months Later - Thanks Nathan et al... Save UAH Hockey
                Reborn: 1/17/2013 - Thanks Bob - Thanks WCHA!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Douglas View Post
                  For UAH's Brandon Carlson Senior Night came a bit early... Due to the early start to his academics his eligibility ran out before the season did so he played his last D1 game last night. He's technically eligible until the 28th but since there are no more games before then sadly, he's done as an on-ice Charger player.

Here's the sendoff that his teammates gave him...
                  I hate when than happens, it's sad for the player and for the fans. Happened to a UAA player years ago.

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Condolences to UAH hockey alumni Dave Wallenstein and his family on the loss of his father, a hockey broadcasting legend. We learned about his death during one of the intermissions of Friday's NBC Rangers/Flyers game. Although we had forgotten the name "Bob Chase", we recognized that they were talking about Dave's father when they mentioned the 63-years with the Fort Wayne Komets. It's a great story, including the part about his name.

http://www.news-sentinel.com/sports/...ase-has-passed
                    Last edited by tnlong; 11-26-2016, 02:50 AM.

Comment

UAH has to split or better this weekend with Ferris. The two teams are tied for fifth in the league, and should they stay close, this would give the Chargers the A tiebreaker. I think that would be the first time that UAH would have that in WCHA play. The teams behind UAH are underperforming, but the only series that UAH can be expected to win after this weekend are on the road: Northern Michigan, Lake Superior, and Alaska. Otherwise, the Chargers face Bemidji State (currently 1st), Michigan Tech (2nd), and Minnesota State (4th) at home and Bowling Green (3rd) on the road.

It doesn't get any easier from here.

GFM
                      Geof F. Morris
                      UAH BSE MAE 2002
                      UAHHockey.com

Comment

we are down to about a month before some of us fly down to UAH for the series with our Mavs. Before I get our hotel booked I thought I would see if I could get some information about where to stay, places to eat, post game victory drinks haha, etc. Is staying near Von Braun the best bet or will we have to travel for pre/post game drinks? Is there a place before the game that a lot of hockey fans meet up at? thanks for the information! Looking forward to the trip!!!
                        All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity. - Gordie Howe

Minnesota State Mankato Mavericks

Comment

Originally posted by MavsFan19 View Post
                          we are down to about a month before some of us fly down to UAH for the series with our Mavs. Before I get our hotel booked I thought I would see if I could get some information about where to stay, places to eat, post game victory drinks haha, etc. Is staying near Von Braun the best bet or will we have to travel for pre/post game drinks? Is there a place before the game that a lot of hockey fans meet up at? thanks for the information! Looking forward to the trip!!!
                          To start, thank you for coming to Huntsville!

Getting around: Uber serves Huntville. The major roads are I-565 (east-west) and Memorial Parkway (north-south). Downtown and the VBC are to the southeast of their intersection. On I-565, exit at 19C. On the Parkway, exit east at Clinton Avenue for easiest access to the VBC (you will be coming at the northwest corner of the complex and can turn into the lesser-used South Hall parking garage on Pollard).

Hotels (TripAdvisor links come on the name of the hotel): there are plenty of options in town, with price varying based on how far you want to drive.

1. The Embassy Suites Hotel that is connected to the Von Braun Center (TripAdvisor #5) is, in my mind, the best hotel choice if your budget allows. Fans routinely enjoy staying there because you can walk through the connector and into the VBC. There's a Ruths Chris Steakhouse that has a fairly decent hotel bar (with fairly not-decent hours). The Embassy Suites is about five years old.

2. The Westin at Bridge Street is the most upscale hotel in town (TripAdvisor #7) and is attached to Bridge Street Town Centre, an outdoor shopping experience with a solid movie theater, plenty of shopping, and some solid restaurants. If you stay here, I've got suggestions. This is probably your best least-driving option for being in town and has the best non-hockey experience.

3. Hampton Inn and Suites/Huntsville Research Park (TripAdvisor #2) is very new (a year or so), is right next to the Cabela's, and is very close to both Bridge Street and has solid access to I-565.

4. Springhill Suits Downtown (TripAdvisor #11) is behind the VBC. You have to walk through the service areas/parking lots of the VBC to get to the arena, but again it's a short walk and a nice hotel. Springhill is about three years old and is mainly a business hotel, so you may get a really good rate. I have this lower on the list because you're guaranteed a drive to get anywhere other than the VBC, including food (getting in at Ruths Chris without staying in the hotel is dicey).

5. The Hilton Garden Inn by the UAH campus (TripAdvisor #22) is pretty close to I-565 and is an easy jump to downtown. This would be a good choice if you're wanting to hit the U.S. Space & Rocket Center for a visit on Saturday.

Restaurants: hockey visitors have long loved visiting Dreamland BBQ on University Drive — I know that Bemidji always makes a team stop there, and I think that Dave Danis runs there from the airport. We have a dearth of truly local stuff, but good choices that are close to downtown are 1892 East, Cotton Row, Sam & Greg's Pizzeria and Gelato, and Humphrey's Bar and Grill. (Pane e Vino by the Huntsville Art Museum is a good choice, but their postgame hours suck.). If you go to Bridge Street, most of the choices are good, with only Connor's Steak and Seafood being a non-chain worth visiting.

Bars: Huntsville has a burgeoning craft beer scene. I'd recommend hitting Salty Nut, Yellowhammer, or Straight to Ale, all of which are west of the VBC on Clinton Avenue. Pints and Pixels is an interesting place to check out: local beer and classic pinball and video games in cabinets. I haven't been overly impressed with their food in the past, though, so I wouldn't make that a trip for a main meal per se.

Things to see: the US Space & Rocket Center is the main tourist attraction here. Admission is expensive, but I can also serve as a ringer if you opt for the NASA Marshall Space Flight Center tour and want a good look at my workplace, the Payload Operations Integration Center. We support all NASA science 24/7/365 (I was there 11p-7a last night and will be there the next three nights, yay!).

Meetup: we've never pulled one off, but if I have someone with a Mankato connection to help, that will be awesome. I'm also trying to get Shane Frederick of the Free Press to travel down.

I'm sure that other locals will chime in to fill the list. Hopefully this is a good start.

GFM
                          Geof F. Morris
                          UAH BSE MAE 2002
                          UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post

Getting around: Uber serves Huntville. The major roads are I-565 (east-west) and Memorial Parkway (north-south). Downtown and the VBC are to the southeast of their intersection. On I-565, exit at 19C. On the Parkway, exit east at Clinton Avenue for easiest access to the VBC (you will be coming at the northwest corner of the complex and can turn into the lesser-used South Hall parking garage on Pollard).

Hotels (TripAdvisor links come on the name of the hotel): there are plenty of options in town, with price varying based on how far you want to drive.

1. The Embassy Suites Hotel that is connected to the Von Braun Center (TripAdvisor #5) is, in my mind, the best hotel choice if your budget allows. Fans routinely enjoy staying there because you can walk through the connector and into the VBC. There's a Ruths Chris Steakhouse that has a fairly decent hotel bar (with fairly not-decent hours). The Embassy Suites is about five years old.

2. The Westin at Bridge Street is the most upscale hotel in town (TripAdvisor #7) and is attached to Bridge Street Town Centre, an outdoor shopping experience with a solid movie theater, plenty of shopping, and some solid restaurants. If you stay here, I've got suggestions. This is probably your best least-driving option for being in town and has the best non-hockey experience.

3. Hampton Inn and Suites/Huntsville Research Park (TripAdvisor #2) is very new (a year or so), is right next to the Cabela's, and is very close to both Bridge Street and has solid access to I-565.

4. Springhill Suits Downtown (TripAdvisor #11) is behind the VBC. You have to walk through the service areas/parking lots of the VBC to get to the arena, but again it's a short walk and a nice hotel. Springhill is about three years old and is mainly a business hotel, so you may get a really good rate. I have this lower on the list because you're guaranteed a drive to get anywhere other than the VBC, including food (getting in at Ruths Chris without staying in the hotel is dicey).

5. The Hilton Garden Inn by the UAH campus (TripAdvisor #22) is pretty close to I-565 and is an easy jump to downtown. This would be a good choice if you're wanting to hit the U.S. Space & Rocket Center for a visit on Saturday.

Restaurants: hockey visitors have long loved visiting Dreamland BBQ on University Drive — I know that Bemidji always makes a team stop there, and I think that Dave Danis runs there from the airport. We have a dearth of truly local stuff, but good choices that are close to downtown are 1892 East, Cotton Row, Sam & Greg's Pizzeria and Gelato, and Humphrey's Bar and Grill. (Pane e Vino by the Huntsville Art Museum is a good choice, but their postgame hours suck.). If you go to Bridge Street, most of the choices are good, with only Connor's Steak and Seafood being a non-chain worth visiting.

Bars: Huntsville has a burgeoning craft beer scene. I'd recommend hitting Salty Nut, Yellowhammer, or Straight to Ale, all of which are west of the VBC on Clinton Avenue. Pints and Pixels is an interesting place to check out: local beer and classic pinball and video games in cabinets. I haven't been overly impressed with their food in the past, though, so I wouldn't make that a trip for a main meal per se.

Things to see: the US Space & Rocket Center is the main tourist attraction here. Admission is expensive, but I can also serve as a ringer if you opt for the NASA Marshall Space Flight Center tour and want a good look at my workplace, the Payload Operations Integration Center. We support all NASA science 24/7/365 (I was there 11p-7a last night and will be there the next three nights, yay!).

Meetup: we've never pulled one off, but if I have someone with a Mankato connection to help, that will be awesome. I'm also trying to get Shane Frederick of the Free Press to travel down.

I'm sure that other locals will chime in to fill the list. Hopefully this is a good start.

GFM
                            Add Below the Radar downtown for good food. I also like Humphrey's & Sam & Greg's downtown is a terrific lunch stop. I'll second the motion on Straight to Ale (which is in an old school, hoops still up where the Brewing tanks occupy the old gym), Salty Nut (in an old gas station, tanks in the garage) and Yellowhammer which has great wood fired pizza to go with the beer. And all 3 places are in a two block radius about 1 1/4 miles from the rink. Embassy Suites & Springhill Shuttle drivers have been most helpful. Add Jefferson St Pub as a good place for a beer, and its attached to Sammy T's which is a big nightclub where a friend of mine works. And Geof, Dreamland for sure. I got to do both Huntsville & Tuscaloosa this year!

Will they have the rink in the park across from the VBC this year?

Hotels, Embassy Suites is a favorite. Great breakfast and happy hour included. Springhill is also pretty good. They are right by the rink and about a 15-20 walk from downtown dining & nightlife, or about a $5 cab ride.
                            Last edited by davyd83; 11-27-2016, 03:13 PM.
                            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

There is also a Homewood Suites within reasonable walking distance of the arena. It's surrounded by multiple restaurants (Cajun Steamer, Mei Wei, Taco Mama, ) and a Publix Grocery. The courthouse downtown area is a short walk from the arena with multiple bars/clubs, upscale dining, mid-scale dining (pizza, korean, ), and a Jimmy John's (open late).

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post

GFM

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                                Will they have the rink in the park across from the VBC this year?
                                Yes, sir - at the Huntsville Museum of Art: http://hsvmuseum.org/skatinginthepark/
                                Michael Napier - UAH '97
                                uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey
                                U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
                                NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
                                CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
                                CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

Comment

Working...
                                X