Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 151

Thread: UAH Hockey 2016-17

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Cary, NC
    Posts
    619

    UAH Hockey 2016-17

    This will be UAH's 32nd season of varsity hockey and 38th overall. This is the 24th season in Division I (19th since rejoining in 1998), and the fourth in the WCHA.

    The 2016-17 schedule (home games in bold):

    Oct. 1-2 Ferris State*
    Oct. 7-8 Connecticut
    Oct. 14-15 Michigan Tech*
    Oct. 21-22 Lake Superior State*
    Oct. 28-29 St. Cloud State
    Nov. 4-5 Alaska Anchorage*
    Nov. 11-12 Alaska*
    Nov. 18-19 Bowling Green*
    Dec. 3-4 Ferris State*
    Dec. 9-10 Northern Michigan*
    Dec. 30-31 Mariucci Classic at Minneapolis (Massachusetts, then Minnesota/Mercyhurst)
    Jan. 6-7 Minnesota State*
    Jan. 20-21 Lake Superior State*
    Jan. 27-28 Michigan Tech*
    Feb. 3-4 Alaska*
    Feb. 10-11 Bemidji State*
    Feb. 24-25 Bowling Green*

    The roster: http://www.uahchargers.com/roster.aspx?path=mhockey
    Signings info: http://www.uahchargers.com/news/2016...r-2016-17.aspx

    Roster breakdown:
    Seniors: 7 (Carlson, Fletcher, Guerriero, Larose, Marooney, Salhany, Soquila)
    Juniors: 7 (Buri, Champagne, Kestner, McHugh, Parker, Saulnier, Uhelski)
    Sophomores: 9 (Anderson, Dunn, Gorowsky, Gosselin, Houcher, Knight, Poulsen, Teets, Wilcox)
    Freshmen: 5 (Beaulieu, James, Larson, Salerno, Rappleyea)

    Forwards: 16
    Defensemen: 9
    Goaltenders: 3

    Lost: Block, Brears, Misuraca, Prince, White. All but Block were graduating seniors.

    Last season, the Chargers were 7-21-6 overall and 5-17-6 in the WCHA. Despite missing the playoffs, the Chargers did improve slightly in overall win percentage (.294) and WCHA points (16) from 2014-15. UAH will improved slightly in scoring offense (2.15 GPG) and defense (3.12 GAPG), but still at or near the bottom of the league.
    Michael Napier - UAH '97
    uahhockey.com

    UAH Chargers Hockey
    U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
    NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
    CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
    CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

  2. #2
    gfmorris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Madison, AL, USA
    Posts
    7,486

    Re: UAH Hockey 2016-17

    It's hard to believe that our first tourney team is ten years in the rear view mirror. That's bonkers.

    GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    49

    Re: UAH Hockey 2016-17

    I'm excited about the season, just a few weeks away. I think it's time for this team and coaching staff to make the next step. I see no reason why this team can't make the playoffs again, I would like to know what everyone's realistic expectations are for this team heading into the season?

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Cary, NC
    Posts
    619

    Re: UAH Hockey 2016-17

    Quote Originally Posted by UAHHerd4 View Post
    I'm excited about the season, just a few weeks away. I think it's time for this team and coaching staff to make the next step. I see no reason why this team can't make the playoffs again, I would like to know what everyone's realistic expectations are for this team heading into the season?
    I'm hoping for the same thing I was expecting last season: Double digit wins. I'm really hoping we make some strides offensively.
    Michael Napier - UAH '97
    uahhockey.com

    UAH Chargers Hockey
    U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
    NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
    CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
    CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Marquette, MI
    Posts
    6,040
    Quote Originally Posted by UAHStatman View Post
    I'm hoping for the same thing I was expecting last season: Double digit wins. I'm really hoping we make some strides offensively.
    The team has shown steady improvement as it jumped from 1.08 to 1.63 to 2.15 goals per game in its 3 seasons in the WCHA. Defensively they've gone 4.17 to 3.18 to 3.12. Net shots on goal has gone from -22 to -16 to -10. If the team can add another 10 goals for and subtract 10 against, the Chargers will stand a great chance to be in the playoffs. They look to have a little more depth up front and another year of experience for the young D. If Carmine can get back to his 2014-15 self and LaRose continues his strong play of last year, the team could take a big step.

  6. #6
    gfmorris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Madison, AL, USA
    Posts
    7,486

    Re: UAH Hockey 2016-17

    For those wondering: UAH/Carmine Guerriero won an appeal of his playing past age 21 in his final season in the CCHL. (They were on a postseason run, and he was the starting goalie.) CG35 played 12 regular-season games past his 21st birthday, so he will have to sit out the first 12 games this year. The best thing is that he'll get to graduate — anything else is secondary.

    UAH is clearly going smaller. We'll see how that works.

    GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    south sioux city, ne
    Posts
    876

    Re: UAH Hockey 2016-17

    Quote Originally Posted by gfmorris View Post
    For those wondering: UAH/Carmine Guerriero won an appeal of his playing past age 21 in his final season in the CCHL. (They were on a postseason run, and he was the starting goalie.) CG35 played 12 regular-season games past his 21st birthday, so he will have to sit out the first 12 games this year. The best thing is that he'll get to graduate anything else is secondary.

    UAH is clearly going smaller. We'll see how that works.

    GFM
    After the Penguins' run last spring, a lot of organizations are going to look at getting smaller (Well, at least faster, which will generally mean smaller). Hoping the officiating lets smaller, speedier guys do their thing.

  8. #8
    gfmorris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Madison, AL, USA
    Posts
    7,486

    Re: UAH Hockey 2016-17

    Quote Originally Posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
    After the Penguins' run last spring, a lot of organizations are going to look at getting smaller (Well, at least faster, which will generally mean smaller). Hoping the officiating lets smaller, speedier guys do their thing.
    I don't care what any other level does. I just hope that we're skating away from our grit-and-grind-and-chip-and-change history. Watching that style of hockey at some level or another for the last 10 years has been really hard.

    GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

  9. #9
    Still upright
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Somewhere in the Andes
    Posts
    5,912

    Re: UAH Hockey 2016-17

    Quote Originally Posted by gfmorris View Post
    I don't care what any other level does. I just hope that we're skating away from our grit-and-grind-and-chip-and-change history. Watching that style of hockey at some level or another for the last 10 years has been really hard.

    GFM
    I've got you with 11 wins, starting with a split at UConn.
    There used to be an advantage to having big guys, but that is going away a bit more every year what with the way the rules are being enforced.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

    It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    49
    Looks like we'll be there for at least two games...would be cool as anything to see a win at the VBC.

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Cary, NC
    Posts
    619

    Re: UAH Hockey 2016-17

    Quote Originally Posted by manurespreader View Post
    I've got you with 11 wins, starting with a split at UConn.
    There used to be an advantage to having big guys, but that is going away a bit more every year what with the way the rules are being enforced.
    I wonder if the extra four inches behind the net will help as well.
    Michael Napier - UAH '97
    uahhockey.com

    UAH Chargers Hockey
    U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
    NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
    CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
    CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Cary, NC
    Posts
    619

    Re: UAH Hockey 2016-17

    Quote Originally Posted by Stratus View Post
    Looks like we'll be there for at least two games...would be cool as anything to see a win at the VBC.
    I'm making the 10-hour drive from N.C. for the home opening series vs. Lake State. Can't wait.
    Michael Napier - UAH '97
    uahhockey.com

    UAH Chargers Hockey
    U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
    NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
    CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
    CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

  13. #13
    gfmorris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Madison, AL, USA
    Posts
    7,486

    Re: UAH Hockey 2016-17

    I thought that I'd look at the guys who didn't come to Huntsville but were listed as verbal commitments with various sources.

    Nelson Gadoury has signed with Quad City in the ECHL, so there's zero chance that he'd enroll for classes and come in for three years. [We already could presume that given that Salerno and Poulsen have done exactly that the last two years and have been mentioned in the PR for their class.] Good luck to him —*he's put up some big numbers in the AJHL and could really snipe and snarl at this level.

    Connor Wood is on the Odessa Jackalopes' protected list for next year, so he'll be playing out his final year of juniors at the NAHL level, his third. He has 473 PIM in 103 NAHL GP with 277 PIM in 44 GP last year —*Shane Stewart numbers for sure, and a little surprising for a guy listed at 5'8", 176#.

    Huntsville's Ted Rotenberger will play one more year of juniors, this year with the Shreveport Mudbugs. Shreveport has just 6D on their protected list, so hopefully he'll see some ice time and have a chance to catch on with the hometown team. Everyone that I've ever talked to about Teddy has had nothing but great things to say about him as a person.

    UAH does have two commitments for the class of 2021 in Christian Rajic (1997) and Tyr Thompson (1998), smaller guys who are putting up decent numbers as they come into a higher level of competition at a younger age. If he enrolls, Thompson will definitely be the first Charger born after my enrollment date at UAH (Rajic would be close).

    GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Cary, NC
    Posts
    619

    Re: UAH Hockey 2016-17

    Quote Originally Posted by gfmorris View Post
    I thought that I'd look at the guys who didn't come to Huntsville but were listed as verbal commitments with various sources.

    Nelson Gadoury has signed with Quad City in the ECHL, so there's zero chance that he'd enroll for classes and come in for three years. [We already could presume that given that Salerno and Poulsen have done exactly that the last two years and have been mentioned in the PR for their class.] Good luck to him —*he's put up some big numbers in the AJHL and could really snipe and snarl at this level.

    Connor Wood is on the Odessa Jackalopes' protected list for next year, so he'll be playing out his final year of juniors at the NAHL level, his third. He has 473 PIM in 103 NAHL GP with 277 PIM in 44 GP last year —*Shane Stewart numbers for sure, and a little surprising for a guy listed at 5'8", 176#.

    Huntsville's Ted Rotenberger will play one more year of juniors, this year with the Shreveport Mudbugs. Shreveport has just 6D on their protected list, so hopefully he'll see some ice time and have a chance to catch on with the hometown team. Everyone that I've ever talked to about Teddy has had nothing but great things to say about him as a person.

    UAH does have two commitments for the class of 2021 in Christian Rajic (1997) and Tyr Thompson (1998), smaller guys who are putting up decent numbers as they come into a higher level of competition at a younger age. If he enrolls, Thompson will definitely be the first Charger born after my enrollment date at UAH (Rajic would be close).

    GFM
    If Gadoury's in the ECHL (playing on the same team with CJ Motte no less), he'd be a professional and therefore ineligible anyway. I've taken him off our list.

    We now have commitments who were born after I graduated from UAH, so...
    Michael Napier - UAH '97
    uahhockey.com

    UAH Chargers Hockey
    U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
    NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
    CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
    CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Cary, NC
    Posts
    619

    Re: UAH Hockey 2016-17

    It's been a while since we got to use the phrase "nice start."
    https://uahhockey.com/blog/2016/10/0...ener-since-09/

    Matt Larose had to be everywhere that third period. Wow.

    THIS FEELS GREAT.
    Michael Napier - UAH '97
    uahhockey.com

    UAH Chargers Hockey
    U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
    NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
    CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
    CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

  16. #16
    UAH Alumnus / Physicist
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Madison, AL
    Posts
    6

    Re: UAH Hockey 2016-17

    #1 in the WCHA. Is it too early to be planning my Frozen Four trip?

  17. #17
    Roll along you BG Warriors!
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    OH
    Posts
    195

    Re: UAH Hockey 2016-17

    Don't look now, but in the The College Hockey Championship Belt thread UAH currently holds both the D-II Play-up Belt AND the WCHA Belt. Be sure to take some print screens.

  18. #18
    Suze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Posts
    21,221

    Re: UAH Hockey 2016-17

    Quote Originally Posted by gfmorris View Post
    I thought that I'd look at the guys who didn't come to Huntsville but were listed as verbal commitments with various sources.

    Nelson Gadoury has signed with Quad City in the ECHL, so there's zero chance that he'd enroll for classes and come in for three years. [We already could presume that given that Salerno and Poulsen have done exactly that the last two years and have been mentioned in the PR for their class.] Good luck to him *he's put up some big numbers in the AJHL and could really snipe and snarl at this level.

    Connor Wood is on the Odessa Jackalopes' protected list for next year, so he'll be playing out his final year of juniors at the NAHL level, his third. He has 473 PIM in 103 NAHL GP with 277 PIM in 44 GP last year *Shane Stewart numbers for sure, and a little surprising for a guy listed at 5'8", 176#.

    Huntsville's Ted Rotenberger will play one more year of juniors, this year with the Shreveport Mudbugs. Shreveport has just 6D on their protected list, so hopefully he'll see some ice time and have a chance to catch on with the hometown team. Everyone that I've ever talked to about Teddy has had nothing but great things to say about him as a person.

    UAH does have two commitments for the class of 2021 in Christian Rajic (1997) and Tyr Thompson (1998), smaller guys who are putting up decent numbers as they come into a higher level of competition at a younger age. If he enrolls, Thompson will definitely be the first Charger born after my enrollment date at UAH (Rajic would be close).

    GFM
    Are the Mudbugs now a junior team? We watched them in Louisiana when I was there 6 years ago, and they were pro then. Anyway, congrats on the win - impressive start!
    Originally Posted by aparch
    I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

    From ADN:

    "According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

    UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

  19. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    582
    Quote Originally Posted by Suze View Post
    Are the Mudbugs now a junior team? We watched them in Louisiana when I was there 6 years ago, and they were pro then. Anyway, congrats on the win - impressive start!
    Yes they are a juniors team and play at the hirsch now. Their first game had over 7,000 in attendance according to Shreveport Times.

  20. #20
    gfmorris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Madison, AL, USA
    Posts
    7,486

    Re: UAH Hockey 2016-17

    I'm just sad that I didn't get to watch the game yet. I'm trying to figure out if my wife will let me watch yesterday's game before today's game. I'm thinking no...

    GFM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •