Doug Woog vs. Dave Hakstol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Doug Woog vs. Dave Hakstol

Woog was the better coach. His Woogisms were far more entertaining than Hakstol's epithets shouted across the rink at on-ice officials.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by Speed Kills View Post
      For many years North Dakota fans have gone out of their way to say bad things about Doug Woog every time his name comes up in conversation, basing pretty much their entire argument on the fact that he never coached a team to a national championship victory. Funny thing about that, the same can be said of Dave Hakstol.

Now, in my opinion those two coaches both had very successful careers at the college level. While neither one of them won a national championship, their teams were contenders pretty much year in and year out. Every year there are a handful of very good teams but only one of them can win a national championship. There is something to be said for consistently being among the top five to ten in the nation. Just thought I'd throw this out there for discussion...

How are they similar? How are they different? How do their achievements compare to one another? Who was the better coach? I think the best way to get fair and unbiased opinions is to exclude North Dakota fans as well as Gopher fans from the discussion. I'm looking for completely objective opinions.
      I am not so sure that's true. I know many UND fans that like Wooger and respect him. I've met him in passing a few times and he seems like a great guy.
      Contributing Editor and College Hockey Writer at Inside Hockey
      Eric's Twitter
      The Sin Bin The Sports Daily

Comment

Originally posted by willythekid View Post
        You spelled goofers wrong.
        tl:dr

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
          As a stats guy I'll take the bait.

If I've done my math correctly Doug Woog was 41 when he become Minnesota's head coach, his one and only head coaching position. Dave Hakstol was 36 when be became North Dakota's head coach, his first (and only NCAA) head coaching position. Both followed successful coaches, although both programs were years removed from post season success (4 seasons for UND, 6 seasons for UM). As mentioned, both also failed to win the NCAA title during their tenures, but both programs did win the NCAA title after each left (3 seasons later for UM, the following season for UND). The biggest difference is that Coach Woog ended his tenure with 2 losing seasons and moved into broadcasting, while Coach Hakstol ended his tenure with 11 straight winning seasons and moved onto becoming a NHL head coach.

Their coaching records show that Coach Woog was the more successful coach when it comes to wins and loses with a 390-187-40 record, a 0.665 winning percentage. In that time he had 12 winning seasons, 7 30+ win seasons and the most ever wins in a single season for the Gophers. Included in that were 4 regular season titles (1 shared) and 7 second place finishes, along with a fourth, fifth and sixth place finish. Coach Hakstol had a 289-143-43 record, a 0.654 winning percentage with 11 winning seasons, but only 1 30+ win season. Included in that were 3 regular season titles, 2 second place finishes, 2 third place finishes, 3 fourth place finishes (2 shared) and 1 fifth place finish.

When it comes to the post season Coach Hakstol is the more successful coach with 4 league tournament titles, 11 NCAA appearances, and 7 Frozen Fours (with one 2nd and six Semifinal appearances). Coach Woog won 3 league tournament titles, with 12 NCAA appearances and 6 Frozen Fours (with one 2nd, two 3rds, one 4th and two Semifinal appearances).

When it comes to acclaim by their peers Coach Hakstol received two league Coach of the Year awards, with Coach Woog receiving one.

When it comes to players Coach Woog coached 5 first team All-Americans, 8 second team All-Americans, 12 first team WCHA, 16 second team WCHA, 3 Frozen Four All-Tournament team, 4 WCHA Players of the Year, 2 WCHA Rookies of the Year and 2 Hobey Award winners. Coach Hakstol coached 6 first team All-Americans, 5 second team All-Americans, 11 league first team (3 NCHC, 8 WCHA), 12 leauge second team (4 NCHC, 8 WCHA), 1 Frozen Four All-Tournament team, 2 league Players of the Year, 1 league Rookie of the Year and 1 Hobey Award winner.

All in all I'd say Coach Woog was the better coach as far as wins and loses go but that Coach Hakstol had better success in motivating his teams in the post season. Both recruited well, had excellent players and were able to maintain the success of their programs for over a decade. I think overall there is very little to select one over the other, but the two losing seasons at the end of Coach Woog's tenure likely make the difference and I would say Coach Hakstol is the better coach.

Sean
          Excellent post, exactly what I was looking for. Thank you so much!
          National championships won by Big Ten schools : 23 (Michigan 9, Wisconsin 6, Minnesota 5, Michigan State 3, Ohio State 0, Penn State 0, Notre Dame 0)
          National championships won by NCHC schools : 21 (North Dakota 8, Denver 8, MN-Duluth 3, Colorado College 2, St. Cloud State 0, Miami 0, NE-Omaha 0, Western Michigan 0)

23 > 21

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
            tl:dr
            Five words being too much to read. You're becoming a UND fan more and more every day!
            Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
            when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
            Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
              Must be a Sue thing....not enough trees sucks the life right out of you.
              He's a real D bag. Nothing to do with trees or lack of.
              Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

"I'm glad I coached when I did," Woog said. "Most of the players were in it for fun."
                XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

During Woog's 14 seasons MN was 30-20-6 in the regular season and 6-5 during the WCHA playoffs against UND. They didn't meet in the NCAAs. I don't know Hakstol's record vs MN, someone from UND can figure that out.
                  XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                  Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
                    During Woog's 14 seasons MN was 30-20-6 in the regular season and 6-5 during the WCHA playoffs against UND. They didn't meet in the NCAAs. I don't know Hakstol's record vs MN, someone from UND can figure that out.
                    Not that it really matters as the question was who was the better coach, not who won vs the other school, but Coach Hakstol was 11-11-4 in the regular season, 4-2 in the WCHA playoffs and 2-2 in the NCAAs against Minnesota.

Sean
                    Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                    Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                    BU Hockey highlights and extras
                    NCAA Hockey Financials
                    Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                    I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by Speed Kills View Post
                      Excellent post, exactly what I was looking for. Thank you so much!
                      Thank you. As I like stats and research I enjoyed looking the information up. However, it seems having an actual serious discussion appears to be a lost cause.

Sean
                      Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                      Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                      BU Hockey highlights and extras
                      NCAA Hockey Financials
                      Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                      I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                        Not that it really matters as the question was who was the better coach, not who won vs the other school, but Coach Hakstol was 11-11-4 in the regular season, 4-2 in the WCHA playoffs and 2-2 in the NCAAs against Minnesota.

Sean
                        That was ONE of the questions. The stats are interesting, though.

To add: other factors are in play: avg age of team (players leaving early, have to re-load/re-start the strategy of the team based on younger players), age of coaches/experience of coaches, the "name brand" is about equal, IMO, during the coaches' era, etc.
                        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
                          "I'm glad I coached when I did," Woog said. "Most of the players were in it for fun."
                          I think quotes like that partially explain why many/most UND fans like Woog.

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                            No trees in ND. Nope. None. No birds either.

http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...=1#post6351743
                            Hey! That's a picture off MY facebook page........nice try. We all know there are tress and birds in WI.
                            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                              Who was the better coach is incredibly difficult to conclude since they were both highly successful in terms of wins and losses and playoff appearances.

One post here or a carom (sp?) there and Woog or Hakstol could easily have 2 or more titles.

Both of these guys were great and any team in the country would have loved to have had either one as coach.

.02 from badger country
                              I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

Personally I despise Woog way more than Hack, therefore Woog was a better coach. There was a lot of nasty in the Woog vs Sauer games played. Hack was just another coach. Gaspirini vs Woog is way better comparo, though Gino has the upper hand.
                              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
                                Five words being too much to read. You're becoming a UND fan more and more every day!
                                To be fair, he may have just wanted it to be spelled out.
                                If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Working...
                                X