Page 25 of 41 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: Norwich 2016-17 Season Thread: ISO first NEHC title

Re: Norwich 2016-17 Season Thread: ISO first NEHC title

Quote Originally Posted by peddler View Post
    You really want to see Skidmore a third time?
    No. I certainly do not want to see Skidmore again. But that's the way I see it playing out.
    Norwich '13

Quote Originally Posted by NU Pastime View Post
    No. I certainly do not want to see Skidmore again. But that's the way I see it playing out.
    Big sheet vs small sheet: I am not sure makes much difference to this team…and while I love those long graceful passes on the big ice and the wide open game—it just didn’t seem to faze this team when they had to deal with joints like UMass Boston and the other smaller venues. And as someone mentioned earlier... its not really an issue given the barns we are likely to play in going forward.

Do I want to see Skidmore Again? I still think how tough even USM played us only a month ago…just as they have befuddled other teams throughout this season. They have spoiler potential for any team they face as they have nothing to lose. I watched both NEC games and honestly didn’t see the stronger team that their current record and stats represents. Obviously they are better than I thought. So I am scared of them on any given night. Babson would be a tough game especially if it were for all the marbles. And yup, even Skidmore with dreams of another miracle on ice—have the sincere belief they can take us down. And they played that way in the second game where the lead changed hands four times and we needed seven rockets to win. There is only one path, e.g. focusing on the next opponent...one at a time...all the way.

The Kriezberg Effect: All that said---consider the other guys perspective as I love the idea of playing at home. Several years ago a former UMass Boston player told me that playing at Kriezberg Arena is like playing in Yankee Stadium. NU is an intimidating joint with its huge sheet, always with a capacity crowd of partisan fans, all those Championship banners...and this year--- very good hockey team with a 21-1-3 record...with a bunch of very eager seniors who want to leave behind their OWN banner in the rafters. I would think that would be very chilling to any opponent regardless of who they are. Polls, stats, records, etc. are great indicators of how a team MAY perform. So it both a strong winning tradition and great heart. This NU team seems to have it all in spades...now they just have pull the trigger and to do it.

So All Things Considered? Well actually, I'd rather be in our shoes (er...skates) than theirs including Skidmore's. Go get 'em Cadets!
    Last edited by Old Rook NU'66; 02-13-2017 at 09:27 PM.
    Old Rook NU'66--Roll On Cadets
    Organized crime in America takes in over forty billion dollars a year and spends very little on office supplies.

Proud supporter of Osmirwich hockey

Kyle Thomas '13 has gotten his first AHL call-up! 25-game PTO with the defending AHL champion Cleveland Monsters (affiliate of the Blue Jackets). He currently ranks 2nd in ECHL scoring.

http://www.clevelandmonsters.com/tea...s-pto-contract

Congrats Kyle!
    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10
    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" Joecct
    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
    GO LAKERS!!!
    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
    Oswego State '09

Nice article in today's Burlington Free Press on this year's Cadets ...

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/s...sion/97882214/

Nate LePage, Siena '13 CARDS_rule_the_Burgh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
    Kyle Thomas '13 has gotten his first AHL call-up! 25-game PTO with the defending AHL champion Cleveland Monsters (affiliate of the Blue Jackets). He currently ranks 2nd in ECHL scoring.

http://www.clevelandmonsters.com/tea...s-pto-contract

Congrats Kyle!
    Good luck to him! He deserves the chance!

best of luck to him

Cadets fan by marriage

First NCAA Rankings are out at: http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/icehock...gional-ranking

We could hardly have done better thanks to both Williams and Babson making the list of "ranked teams". Maybe the Cards will pull an upset in the SUNYAC, and we will have faced 4 "ranked teams"?
    The "Miracle" was winning the Gold Medal Game against the Finns. I'm biased, I was there.

You can listen to Kyle Thomas' AHL debut here: http://mixlr.com/real-rock-radio-104...usive-content/

He leads Columbus with 3 shots on goal early in the second period.
    GO LAKERS!!!
    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
    Oswego State '09

You can listen to Kyle Thomas' AHL debut here: http://mixlr.com/real-rock-radio-104...usive-content/

He leads Columbus with 3 shots on goal early in the second period.
    Columbus doesn't play until tonight.

Cadets fan by marriage

We all taking the week off as well?
    The "Miracle" was winning the Gold Medal Game against the Finns. I'm biased, I was there.

We all taking the week off as well?
    Coach McShane wins 10th NEHC Coach of the Year award, six Cadets earn All-Conference.

First Team:
    William Pelletier
    Cody Smith

Second Team:
    Ty Piacentini
    Braeden Ostepchuk

Third Team:
    Kevin Salvucci
    Alec Brandrup

http://www.norwichathletics.com/spor...20170216lnfsqa
    GO LAKERS!!!
    Oswego State '09

Colorado Cadets Fan

Coach McShane wins 10th NEHC Coach of the Year award, six Cadets earn All-Conference.

First Team:
    William Pelletier
    Cody Smith

Second Team:
    Ty Piacentini
    Braeden Ostepchuk

Third Team:
    Kevin Salvucci
    Alec Brandrup

http://www.norwichathletics.com/spor...20170216lnfsqa
    Interesting goalie selection there. Reichenbach has the better GAA and SV% of the two, but has all of the negative results on his record. Is that the reason for the choice?
    2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
    2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
    2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
    2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Quote Originally Posted by NUProf View Post
    Interesting goalie selection there. Reichenbach has the better GAA and SV% of the two, but has all of the negative results on his record. Is that the reason for the choice?
    including when he replaced Ostepchuk against Endicott while behind 3-1.

Member of the REAL Zoo Crew
    Wow really Prof? After all this time you've forgotten that its a CONFERENCE award so only CONFERENCE stats matter? Thus the undefeated record, better save and gaa....am I talking to a board rookie jk.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrynu26 View Post
    including when he replaced Ostepchuk against Endicott while behind 3-1.
    Reichenbach also came in in relief late in the game against Plattsburgh and in the second Skidmore game.
    Norwich '13

Colorado Cadets Fan

Quote Originally Posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
    Wow really Prof? After all this time you've forgotten that its a CONFERENCE award so only CONFERENCE stats matter? Thus the undefeated record, better save and gaa....am I talking to a board rookie jk.
    That is, entirely possible, and indeed, I did forget about that aspect of selections. What makes that aspect odder is the fact that all-conference selections are used as a basis for all-American selection. This means (I don't think it applies here) that a very close selection based on conference statistics only could eliminate a player from AA consideration, even if his level of play overall was superior. That is an interesting way to run a Railroad.
    2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
    2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
    2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
    2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Member of the REAL Zoo Crew
    That is, entirely possible, and indeed, I did forget about that aspect of selections. What makes that aspect odder is the fact that all-conference selections are used as a basis for all-American selection. This means (I don't think it applies here) that a very close selection based on conference statistics only could eliminate a player from AA consideration, even if his level of play overall was superior. That is an interesting way to run a Railroad.
    Nik Sunberg was left off 1st team years ago because someone had better SUNYAC stats, but Nik killed him (and just about everyone) in National stats and was left off. You're absolutely right. I don't agree with how they select a National team for this reason, but like everything, it is what it is.

Cadets fan by marriage

Just noticed this morning, and sent them two reminders. The "other" website has neglected to list todays NEHC USM - NEC Quarterfinal in any of their scoreboards.

We may not show their results until Sunday, but at least we list the game on the schedule.

Nate LePage, Siena '13 CARDS_rule_the_Burgh's Avatar
    Just noticed this morning, and sent them two reminders. The "other" website has neglected to list todays NEHC USM - NEC Quarterfinal in any of their scoreboards.

We may not show their results until Sunday, but at least we list the game on the schedule.
    My understanding is that the schedule on that website is based on a system that requires input from the schools' SIDs, rather than the website's staff. If your games are not listed, you might want to talk to yours.

No help from Williams this weekend.

Thread Information