Page 10 of 42 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Norwich 2016-17 Season Thread: ISO first NEHC title

Re: Norwich 2016-17 Season Thread: ISO first NEHC title

Attendance numbers are always relative too .. We drew 1, 724 last night ... Compare that with ...
    Army .. 1, 516
    Princeton ... 1, 587
    St. Lawrence ... 1, 426
    Alaska Anchorage ... 612
    Plattsburgh ... 1, 601
    Wisconsin Stevens Point ... 657
    Middlebury ... 474

I think you get the idea ....

Quote Originally Posted by PuckVoice View Post
    Attendance numbers are always relative too .. We drew 1, 724 last night ... Compare that with ...
    Army .. 1, 516
    Princeton ... 1, 587
    St. Lawrence ... 1, 426
    Alaska Anchorage ... 612
    Plattsburgh ... 1, 601
    Wisconsin Stevens Point ... 657
    Middlebury ... 474

I think you get the idea ....
    Are we perhaps exaggerating the attendance decline too? When people talk about the "glory days" they're probably talking about days before I first got on campus in 2009. Being from Illinois, I had never heard of Plattsburgh or Trinity or Middlebury. But, as a freshman, I remember being really impressed, almost shocked, at how big of a deal DIII hockey was and how big the crowds were. I vividly remember during the 2009-2010 season standing two or three rows deep at the railing and watching the Cadets slaughter people.

So I looked up the attendance from some of those games I remember (based on score) and I guess it was in the last year of the interlock since they were almost all against NESCAC teams. Hamilton, Wesleyan, and Trinity drew crowds of 1400, 1400, and 1700, respectively. Plattsburgh, played at the Primelink and in early January when the students were gone, drew 1000 and 1200. Only big difference I see is Castleton and Middlebury being sellouts, where last year both drew below 1000.

But, given historical context, 1724 against a conference contender but not a traditional rival seems to be rather in line with past numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by NU Pastime View Post
    Are we perhaps exaggerating the attendance decline too? When people talk about the "glory days" they're probably talking about days before I first got on campus in 2009. Being from Illinois, I had never heard of Plattsburgh or Trinity or Middlebury. But, as a freshman, I remember being really impressed, almost shocked, at how big of a deal DIII hockey was and how big the crowds were. I vividly remember during the 2009-2010 season standing two or three rows deep at the railing and watching the Cadets slaughter people.

So I looked up the attendance from some of those games I remember (based on score) and I guess it was in the last year of the interlock since they were almost all against NESCAC teams. Hamilton, Wesleyan, and Trinity drew crowds of 1400, 1400, and 1700, respectively. Plattsburgh, played at the Primelink and in early January when the students were gone, drew 1000 and 1200. Only big difference I see is Castleton and Middlebury being sellouts, where last year both drew below 1000.

But, given historical context, 1724 against a conference contender but not a traditional rival seems to be rather in line with past numbers.
    I am extremely skeptical of that number given the sea of empty maroon seats

Quote Originally Posted by KRBFLINT03 View Post
    Well tickets sold is always different than actual attendance, but I think pretty much every level of athletics goes by tickets sold for official attendance numbers.

Well tickets sold is always different than actual attendance, but I think pretty much every level of athletics goes by tickets sold for official attendance numbers.
    Exactly. I fully believe that many tickets were sold. I really think the biggest issue is season ticket holders staying home. The students don't sit in those sections, if they sit at all, anyway. I believe those tickets were sold and the purchasers chose not to come.

Tickets sold vs. Fannies in the seats.

Member of the REAL Zoo Crew

For Sticks and Giggles....

Comparing 2001-2002 with 2016-2017 Average Attendance:

Positive Gains:
    Utica +2067
    GENESEO +1635
    OSWEGO +1263
    CORTLAND +540
    FITCHBURG +521
    PLYM STATE +466
    ST.AS +425
    LAWRENCE +387

NEGATIVE ATTENDANCE
    MIDDLEBURY -1568
    ELMIRA -739
    NEC -693
    HAMILTON -630
    MSOE -512
    TRINITY -368
    SNC -343
    WILLIAMS -276
    BOWDOIN -257
    COLBY --237
    UWS -230
    ST.MARY -218
    POTSDAM -204

OTHER NOTABLES
    PLATTSBURGH -41
    NORWICH +2
    HOBART +193
    BROCKPORT +240
    UWSP +286

I will also say this too - Compared to the early 90's, especially at Plattsburgh, it has dropped big time but that has more to do with the base closing. These new fancy rinks, and all the technology (radio/video/live stats) it's just not worth it. On top of that the lack of "fun" allowed at rinks these days has gone out the window. I know I don't say and do the things I use to do 15 years ago at games, but kids these days are basically told to sit on their hands and give princess claps when the team scores. No more ragging on opposing players, no more yelling at the coach, no more giving it to the reffs, no more white boards, no more noisemakers, no more 4 letter word chants. And I love the people who say "well they're students"....yup and if most American hockey fans spent a season up in Canada and most of the Junior leagues these "kids" (most 20+ year old freshman ) are very very very well use to being ribbed during a game.

I've said it a million times. I may have been an *** during the game, but I'd be the first to buy you a beer after it. Player or fan. Opposing teams loved going into hostile environments. Sure having beer bottles chucked at you in Middlebury wasn't fun, or tussles at Maxy Hall when you steal the Bears mascot's head in the bathroom, the bagel/tennis ball nights, or the the white board chats we would have back in forth in Oswego probably were not good for 8 year olds eyes, but kids (college age and slightly there after) were allowed to be kids and it made for a much more entertaining night at the game. These "kids" don't want to go to a game now days and be told to sit down, and only clap when your team scores and don't say anything to the other team and or fans, or you will be kicked out. Thus they can stay back home, drink some...umm...beverages, and check in on the game here and there. But in our "everyone deserves a ribbon" world we live in, the NCAA has such a tight grip on the level of fun, it won't change any time soon.
    Last edited by PSUChamps2001; 12-03-2016 at 12:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post

Comparing 2001-2002 with 2016-2017 Average Attendance:

Positive Gains:
    Utica +2067
    GENESEO +1635
    OSWEGO +1263
    CORTLAND +540
    FITCHBURG +521
    PLYM STATE +466
    ST.AS +425
    LAWRENCE +387

NEGATIVE ATTENDANCE
    MIDDLEBURY -1568
    ELMIRA -739
    NEC -693
    HAMILTON -630
    MSOE -512
    TRINITY -368
    SNC -343
    WILLIAMS -276
    BOWDOIN -257
    COLBY --237
    UWS -230
    ST.MARY -218
    POTSDAM -204

OTHER NOTABLES
    PLATTSBURGH -41
    NORWICH +2
    HOBART +193
    BROCKPORT +240
    UWSP +286
    PLATTSBURGH -41 It appears the Stafford renovations have really not affected the attendance

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    Tickets sold vs. Fannies in the seats.
    Yes, I referenced that. My post was in response to George's (we DREW 1700 whatever). We may have sold that many, but we definitely didn't draw that many. Semantics nonetheless

Quote Originally Posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
    ****. That was a helluva post.

I think Jamie Rice will regret that he pulled the goalie so early. Regardless, great job to sweep the weekend.

As improved as the Cadets are on offense this year, I've been even more impressed with the defense. Overall, much better discipline this season, in my opinion. Still too many lapses, but looking solid.

My post about our 2 "#1" goalies turned out to be well-timed after Reichenbach turned in a gem today.

Forward, Cadets!

Cadets fan by marriage

What I noticed at the game tonight was that the sea of empty seats was notable to me during the anthems (especially for a Babson game), but the cheers at the end of the game came from a fairly full, if not overflowing, house.
    The "Miracle" was winning the Gold Medal Game against the Finns. I'm biased, I was there.

Fan Of Div III Hockey, GO NORWICH

Good win overall tonight, I thought Norwich dominated the game, but still we are off on our passing. Most of the passes were behind the player it was supposed to go to, and we still passed to the opponent too many times in our defensive zone. However... we maintained even pressure and blocked or poke checked a lot of pucks away from Babson. Ty did a great job in net, how lucky are we to have two excellent goalies on our team? We haven't yet seen our 3rd goalie yet, so we can't judge him, but I doubt he would be on the team if McShane didn't think he had potential. Again, I really like Jackson's defensive and offensive play, he is always in the mix and I thought Lewis and Thompson also played well. Well done Cadets! See you Tuesday night against St. Mike's who had a great weekend beating Babson and getting a tie with UMB. My guess is that we are going to see a improved or at least inspired team!
    There is no right way to do the wrong thing. Go Cadets

Quote Originally Posted by peddler View Post
    What I noticed at the game tonight was that the sea of empty seats was notable to me during the anthems (especially for a Babson game), but the cheers at the end of the game came from a fairly full, if not overflowing, house.
    I thought the same thing today. Pretty full by the end. Certainly appeared to be more full than last night

Colorado Cadets Fan

It just feels like a great college atmosphere when there's pep band there. I wonder if they'd be welcomed at a varsity game?
    Why not is it an issue with the support of the band director? The last band director who got the band to the games was a fan and made sure it happened. There's a lot of politics that goes on. As I said before - things go in cycles. One leadership group in the Corps wants to show up their processors by undoing what they did to show that they are "better." Norwich traditions (as in "we've always done it that way") tend to last 6-10 years, then the tradition changes. I wish it weren't that way, but sometimes that's what happens. The Seniors when I left wouldn't have been able to remember when the band didn't come to the games. Then it stopped, and now none of the current students remember when it happened. There's tons of good stuff that happens at Norwich, but there's a lot of for-de-rol that happens, too.
    2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
    2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
    2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
    2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

No idea what for-de-rol means, though I can guess. As for the band, all it takes is the Regimental Commander looking at the provisional battalion commander during Monday command and staff and saying "I want the band at hockey games" and it should be happen. A heads up to Mariano or whoever would probably be a courteous gesture, but otherwise, it's pretty simple.

No idea what for-de-rol means, though I can guess. As for the band, all it takes is the Regimental Commander looking at the provisional battalion commander during Monday command and staff and saying "I want the band at hockey games" and it should be happen. A heads up to Mariano or whoever would probably be a courteous gesture, but otherwise, it's pretty simple.
    I know for a fact football has gotten a number of things just by asking. Do we know if the hockey program would like the band there? It's such a part of college hockey, it would make sense to have them there.

Colorado Cadets Fan

It really did add a lot to the atmosphere. The band director retired, somebody else took over, and the band was never seen again at Krietzberg.
    2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
    2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
    2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
    2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Quote Originally Posted by NUProf View Post
    Why not is it an issue with the support of the band director? The last band director who got the band to the games was a fan and made sure it happened. There's a lot of politics that goes on. As I said before - things go in cycles. One leadership group in the Corps wants to show up their processors by undoing what they did to show that they are "better." Norwich traditions (as in "we've always done it that way") tend to last 6-10 years, then the tradition changes. I wish it weren't that way, but sometimes that's what happens. The Seniors when I left wouldn't have been able to remember when the band didn't come to the games. Then it stopped, and now none of the current students remember when it happened. There's tons of good stuff that happens at Norwich, but there's a lot of for-de-rol that happens, too.
    Some things never change. Only the uniforms, the civilians, the rink, and the trees on the upper parade. But Norwich is a great place which certainly did a lot for me.
    NU56
    Old Member
    Maybe the Oldest

Quote Originally Posted by NUProf View Post
    It really did add a lot to the atmosphere. The band director retired, somebody else took over, and the band was never seen again at Krietzberg.
    Well then, somebody has to stand up to the band!
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    4 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16,??? 4/18)

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Thread Information