X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Norwich 2016-17 Season Thread: ISO first NEHC title

Pretty convincing.

So now we get Adrian.

One of the most penalized team (14th) with 18.2 PIM per game vs. One of the least penalized teams (6th least) at 8.9.

This makes me a little nervous because sometimes the Cadets get sucked into retaliating against those kinds of teams - (like CSC)
    2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
    2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
    2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
    2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Make no mistake as Adrian is a heavily penalized team they are big and they can play.
      I cannot believe the Cadets could pit up 6 on this goalie from Hamilton tonight. My hats off to the Cadets. Our Oswego boys did not fare well against him.
      Utica should be a lot of fun, as we and many other visitors wish their teams were there

Comment

• Originally posted by NUProf View Post
        Pretty convincing.

So now we get Adrian.

One of the most penalized team (14th) with 18.2 PIM per game vs. One of the least penalized teams (6th least) at 8.9.

This makes me a little nervous because sometimes the Cadets get sucked

into retaliating against those kinds of teams - (like CSC)

With everything else equal, I have always believe that a disciplined offense without the unnecessary roughness trumps (pardon the pun) the rough stuff. Dumb penalties...are just that...dumb. Now we get to see if I am right. As I said earlier I believe that this is the best all around NU club I've seen in recent years. But also having attended that final four that saw NU and St. Norbert's go into two exhausting OTs...to see NU win the the closing seconds of the last OT..tells that me at this point anyone can win it. Go Cadets.
        Old Rook NU'66--Roll On Cadets
        Organized crime in America takes in over forty billion dollars a year and spends very little on office supplies.

Comment

• Originally posted by NUProf View Post
          Pretty convincing.

So now we get Adrian.

This makes me a little nervous because sometimes the Cadets get sucked into retaliating against those kinds of teams - (like CSC)
          If the officiating that Adrian normally gets for its games is anything like the crap we got this weekend for the women's National Championship, I'm fairly certain Even Norwich would be called for a ton of penalties. Gustavus was one of the least-penalized teams in the country, and got smacked for 10 minors on Friday alone.
          Plattsburgh CARDINALS
          SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
          ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
          NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
          NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
          NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
          NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

• Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
            If the officiating that Adrian normally gets for its games is anything like the crap we got this weekend for the women's National Championship, I'm fairly certain Even Norwich would be called for a ton of penalties. Gustavus was one of the least-penalized teams in the country, and got smacked for 10 minors on Friday alone.
            Wanna bet that the officials were told before the weekend to call the standard with no lee way?
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Rook NU'66 View Post
              With everything else equal, I have always believe that a disciplined offense without the unnecessary roughness trumps (pardon the pun) the rough stuff. Dumb penalties...are just that...dumb. Now we get to see if I am right. As I said earlier I believe that this is the best all around NU club I've seen in recent years. But also having attended that final four that saw NU and St. Norbert's go into two exhausting OTs...to see NU win the the closing seconds of the last OT..tells that me at this point anyone can win it. Go Cadets.
              I was there for that Final game in Lake Placid as well. I would suggest that, given the competition we have experienced this year, it is still hard for me to judge the national quality of this team, or to try to compare it to the last Cadet National Championship (men) team. My guess is that if they win Friday afternoon, I'll be able to have a better take on it as I leave Utica on Sunday.
              The "Miracle" was winning the Gold Medal Game against the Finns. I'm biased, I was there.

Comment

• Originally posted by peddler View Post
                I was there for that Final game in Lake Placid as well. I would suggest that, given the competition we have experienced this year, it is still hard for me to judge the national quality of this team, or to try to compare it to the last Cadet National Championship (men) team. My guess is that if they win Friday afternoon, I'll be able to have a better take on it as I leave Utica on Sunday.
                They aren't that 2010 team; that team was loaded - especially that one class with Thomas, Mulvey, Forkey, Cotnoir, etc. BUT, after last night, I am confident they are good enough to win the whole thing. That doesn't mean they will.

Comment

Originally posted by lakont55 View Post
                  Make no mistake as Adrian is a heavily penalized team they are big and they can play.
                  I cannot believe the Cadets could pit up 6 on this goalie from Hamilton tonight. My hats off to the Cadets. Our Oswego boys did not fare well against him.
                  Utica should be a lot of fun, as we and many other visitors wish their teams were there
                  Looking at the pre-game program last night revealed an interesting offensive comparison (which may have absolutely no statistical relevance whatsoever). When comparing the 5 top scorers for each team (which I have since tried to reconcile to the statistics for both teams, and can't), Norwich had approximately 166 points among those 5 (Pelletier, Salvucci, Smith, Flaherty & Piacentini), while the corresponding 5 for Hamilton had about 108. Since the level of goal-tending seemed to be similar, the Defensive ranks were almost equal, and the strength of their schedules was not too different, I was hoping that this apparent offensive advantage for the Cadets would play out. That was the game I watched last night for the most part.
                  The "Miracle" was winning the Gold Medal Game against the Finns. I'm biased, I was there.

Comment

• Originally posted by KRBFLINT03 View Post
                    They aren't that 2010 team; that team was loaded - especially that one class with Thomas, Mulvey, Forkey, Cotnoir, etc. BUT, after last night, I am confident they are good enough to win the whole thing. That doesn't mean they will.
                    Don't get me wrong that 2010 team was absolutely great with some superb individual talent...my favorite was Cotnoir who while almost one his back delivered an unforgettable winning goal against Middlebury...just as he delivered in Lake Placid against St. Norbert's great All American goalie that gave us the NCAA title. This years Cadet team seems loaded with talent as well...but now with two talented goalies in Braydon and Ty...what seems to be strong defense led by Cody...and all with Tyler, Will and Kevin up front with four solid scoring lines. But what just appeals to me most is this seems like more of a total team effort than ever before. Can't quite put my finger on it. But you are right...that 2010 team was something else.

But like you said even with all they have...at this point the NCAA title can be won by any of the four remaining teams. Go Cadets.
                    Last edited by Old Rook NU'66; 03-19-2017, 11:05 AM.
                    Organized crime in America takes in over forty billion dollars a year and spends very little on office supplies.

Comment

Looking at the pre-game program last night revealed an interesting offensive comparison (which may have absolutely no statistical relevance whatsoever). When comparing the 5 top scorers for each team (which I have since tried to reconcile to the statistics for both teams, and can't), Norwich had approximately 166 points among those 5 (Pelletier, Salvucci, Smith, Flaherty & Piacentini), while the corresponding 5 for Hamilton had about 108. Since the level of goal-tending seemed to be similar, the Defensive ranks were almost equal, and the strength of their schedules was not too different, I was hoping that this apparent offensive advantage for the Cadets would play out. That was the game I watched last night for the most part.
                      Interesting. Have you done the same exercise to compare NU to Adrian?

Comment

Interesting. Have you done the same exercise to compare NU to Adrian?
                        The same exercise has Norwich about 5% better than Adrian. No where near the gap of last night's contest. Offense and defense ranks similar. Adrian would appear to have had a tougher schedule (SOS) but that's hard to evaluate, given the minimal number of East-West contests during the regular season. The only place I see a significant difference is between the pipes. Norwich has a pair ranked #3 & #4 (based on an average 1.689 GAA), Entmaa from Adrian is 15-6-2, with a 2.175 GAA, and a save % of .915. That's enough to make him #20 on the D3 ranking of goaltenders. I have yet to watch the Cadets outside of Kreitzberg this year, but they are 10-1-2 off home ice. The Aud in Utica measures only 5 feet narrower, and the same length as Kreitzberg, a fairly similar playing surface.

If I had money to bet.....I'd keep it in my pocket, and enjoy the weekend!
                        Last edited by peddler; 03-19-2017, 11:30 AM.

Comment

The same exercise has Norwich about 5% better than Adrian. No where near the gap of last night's contest. Offense and defense ranks similar. Adrian would appear to have had a tougher schedule (SOS) but that's hard to evaluate, given the minimal number of East-West contests during the regular season. The only place I see a significant difference is between the pipes. Norwich has a pair ranked #3 & #4 (based on an average 1.689 GAA), Entmaa from Adrian is 15-6-2, with a 2.175 GAA, and a save % of .915. That's enough to make him #20 on the D3 ranking of goaltenders. I have yet to watch the Cadets outside of Kreitzberg this year, but they are 10-1-2 off home ice. The Aud in Utica measures only 5 feet narrower, and the same length as Kreitzberg, a fairly similar playing surface.

If I had money to bet.....I'd keep it in my pocket, and enjoy the weekend!
                          Thanks...and you are right. I'd never bet on any team at this point. Besides the difference in goal tending...Adrian spends on average close to 18 minutes a game in the box vs half that for NU.. Not sure you can do that in these final four games against a disciplined team. That said Adrian has done well with short handed goals...but again that depends on who they were scored against. Stats only tell you so much.

My next question is I seem to recall that when he was given a choice in a four game playoff series starting on a Friday, that Coach McShane has opted for the later of the two Friday games. I guess it was to give the coaches a chance to look down the road as to who they might play next. I maybe wrong...but if that's the case...why with the best record among the four finalist is NU playing the earlier game in Utica. Does the NCAA arbitrarily decide which pair open the final four? Like I said, I maybe totally wrong.
                          Last edited by Old Rook NU'66; 03-19-2017, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Thanks...and you are right. I'd never bet on any team at this point. My next question is I seem to recall that when he was given a choice in a four game playoff series starting on a Friday, that Coach McShane has opted for the later of the two Friday games. I guess it was to give the coaches a chance to look down the road as to who they might play next. I maybe wrong...but if that's the case...why with the best record among the four finalist is NU playing the earlier game in Utica. Does the NCAA arbitrarily decide which pair open the final four? Like I said, I maybe totally wrong.
                            Seeing now that SNC/Trinity play in the opener according to D3 hockey and the NCAA sites..
                            SNC Men:
                            Five Time National Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014. 2018....
                            NCHA Champions: 1997, 1998, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017. 2018, 2019...
                            SNC Women:
                            O'Brien Cup Champions: 2013.

Comment

• Originally posted by pete99race View Post
                              Seeing now that SNC/Trinity play in the opener according to D3 hockey and the NCAA sites..
                              Thanks. I was looking at the Norwich team page on USCHO and they have us playing Adrian at 3 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Old Rook NU'66 View Post
                                My next question is I seem to recall that when he was given a choice in a four game playoff series starting on a Friday, that Coach McShane has opted for the later of the two Friday games. I guess it was to give the coaches a chance to look down the road as to who they might play next. I maybe wrong...but if that's the case...why with the best record among the four finalist is NU playing the earlier game in Utica. Does the NCAA arbitrarily decide which pair open the final four? Like I said, I maybe totally wrong.
                                Late games allow teams to maintain their normal gameday routine, morning skate (if allowed), lunch, nap, early dinner, get to the rink early. Granted, NU is used to playing the 4p Saturday games all season, the 7p slot allows for their full routine.

On that note, I'm a little bummed that DU plays at 11a mountain time next Saturday, for the same "routine" reasons, they tend to play worse in earlier games.

r

Comment

Working...
                                X