Norwich 2016-17 Season Thread: ISO first NEHC title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Norwich 2016-17 Season Thread: ISO first NEHC title

Gotta clean up some things but showed great character to get the equalizer. Should be a fun season!

Comment

Was not able to watch the NU/Endicott game. Anyone willing to post some detailed commentary of NU's play beyond just a scoring summary?

Comment

Originally posted by Bog Hockey View Post
        Was not able to watch the NU/Endicott game. Anyone willing to post some detailed commentary of NU's play beyond just a scoring summary?
        First point ... Endicott is GOOD. 4 D-1 transfers in the lineup.
        So this was a tough game ... way tougher than the openers Norwich has had in recent years. Cadets looked good. Good balance aamong the four lines. Line combinations still in flux ... expect we'll see different lines and D pairs over the next couple of weeks with things settling in by the Primelink and the big games the following weekend with Babson and UMB.

Comment

Coming out of the gate, it looked to me like Endicott was keeping Norwich in their own zone for the first five minutes or so. From the spectator's eye, it still looked like NU was physically weaker and were being out-bodied by the dump-and-chase game that Endicott favored. After their afterburners cooled off a bit, Endicott slowly seemed to lose hold of the remaining fifteen minutes of the first period. I seem to remember shots being something like 8-3 in favor of Norwich after the first. Scoreless after one.

Second period started out with an Endicott goal on the high side of Ostepchuk's glove hand. Looked like he faked the wrong way and left his 1-hole pretty open. Lots of penalties both ways in the second. Rowland's shot to equalize the score was from the high circle, and he looked fairly open when he took it. Really pretty shot on that kid. Norwich looked like it was taking back control for the middle ten minutes of the second, but an unfortunate powerplay for Endicott gave them a 2-1 and then a 3-1 lead going into the third. Second goal from Endicott was a net-crasher, with the puck bouncing off Ostepchuk's pad and being poked in. Can't remember Endicott's third goal for the life of me. Rough second period overall.

Third period the Cadets came out flying, with an early rebound goal from Flaherty. Pichette had an assist on that one, and has really impressed so far this season with a hat trick in the exhibition game last week. The third period was a good one for the Cadets, fending off a power play or two, and fighting back from a 3-1 deficit. The last ten seconds of play seemed to take an hour, with Norwich peppering the Endicott goaltender due to a pulled goalie. When Smith's shot rebounded and opened up for a Salvucci goal, the entire arena erupted.

Overtime was predominantly controlled by the Cadets. I'd say 9 out of 10 times at least one of the very many shots on goal during overtime would have snuck past the Endicott tender, it just didn't happen on that night. The momentum was held well and the Cadets were flying. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. Thankful to make it to such an exciting game. Heart Attack Cadets are back in full force.

Comment

Originally posted by Norwich802 View Post
            Coming out of the gate, it looked to me like Endicott was keeping Norwich in their own zone for the first five minutes or so. From the spectator's eye, it still looked like NU was physically weaker and were being out-bodied by the dump-and-chase game that Endicott favored. After their afterburners cooled off a bit, Endicott slowly seemed to lose hold of the remaining fifteen minutes of the first period. I seem to remember shots being something like 8-3 in favor of Norwich after the first. Scoreless after one.

Second period started out with an Endicott goal on the high side of Ostepchuk's glove hand. Looked like he faked the wrong way and left his 1-hole pretty open. Lots of penalties both ways in the second. Rowland's shot to equalize the score was from the high circle, and he looked fairly open when he took it. Really pretty shot on that kid. Norwich looked like it was taking back control for the middle ten minutes of the second, but an unfortunate powerplay for Endicott gave them a 2-1 and then a 3-1 lead going into the third. Second goal from Endicott was a net-crasher, with the puck bouncing off Ostepchuk's pad and being poked in. Can't remember Endicott's third goal for the life of me. Rough second period overall.

Third period the Cadets came out flying, with an early rebound goal from Flaherty. Pichette had an assist on that one, and has really impressed so far this season with a hat trick in the exhibition game last week. The third period was a good one for the Cadets, fending off a power play or two, and fighting back from a 3-1 deficit. The last ten seconds of play seemed to take an hour, with Norwich peppering the Endicott goaltender due to a pulled goalie. When Smith's shot rebounded and opened up for a Salvucci goal, the entire arena erupted.

Overtime was predominantly controlled by the Cadets. I'd say 9 out of 10 times at least one of the very many shots on goal during overtime would have snuck past the Endicott tender, it just didn't happen on that night. The momentum was held well and the Cadets were flying. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. Thankful to make it to such an exciting game. Heart Attack Cadets are back in full force.
            Much appreciated - thanks. How'd the freshmen look to you?

Comment

Much appreciated - thanks. How'd the freshmen look to you?
              The ones who played were very impressive. Dockery has chops on defense. Dillinger (spelling?) is big and fast on offense, looks like a new Niezgoda in terms of size and mass. Erickson, the D1 transfer, also made some really nice stops and a few good transition moves. I'm sure there are more, those are just the ones I can remember off the noggin'.

Comment

I was able to turn it on last night for the third. As the stats show, it was a rough game (14 penalties combined - 5 on Norwich and 9 on USM to include a couple majors). In the past I know we've talked about the rough teams (thinking NEC) giving NU some problems, so maybe this was part of the struggles, but Norwich still fired off 44 shots. I was surprised to see it tied after 1 and then after 2, so maybe someone who saw the first two periods can shed some more light.

Off topic but related, if you're a fan of Norwich sports then the football team plays a BIG one today against Husson with conference title hopes on the line. Kickoff at noon in Bangor. Go Cadets!
                Norwich '13

2017-2018 Last Person Standing Champion

Comment

I think you will find out USM has a pretty darn good goalie: very underrated!!!

Comment

I only caught the 1st period against DW and checked in on the final score after dinner out with my family. I am impressed that Nick Pichette got 3 goals again (see Ex. game with Champlain College) and an assist. I have always felt that Nick provides unbelievable speed and fore checking and I am glad he came up big tonight. He is always hustling and never gives up. Flaherty and Salvuccci also had excellent nights. Overall, we have some gelling to do but this team definitely has old and new skilled players that with time should be as competitive as the Cadets of past years. I am hopeful!
                    There is no right way to do the wrong thing. Go Cadets

Comment

Originally posted by 17'sfanNU View Post
                      I only caught the 1st period against DW and checked in on the final score after dinner out with my family. I am impressed that Nick Pichette got 3 goals again (see Ex. game with Champlain College) and an assist. I have always felt that Nick provides unbelievable speed and fore checking and I am glad he came up big tonight. He is always hustling and never gives up. Flaherty and Salvuccci also had excellent nights. Overall, we have some gelling to do but this team definitely has old and new skilled players that with time should be as competitive as the Cadets of past years. I am hopeful!
                      Only second home game I've missed since I've been here.
                      The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                      "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                      GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                      GO LAKERS!!!
                      GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                      "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                      Oswego State '09

Comment

While I'm obviously pleased with the results, I'm fighting off a growing sense of concern...

In two blowouts (the exhibition and today) a freshman has yet to score a goal. Given our struggles putting the puck in the net last year, I'm worried that we may find ourselves in the same boat when it counts. Can someone please talk me down??

Comment

Originally posted by KRBFLINT03 View Post
                          While I'm obviously pleased with the results, I'm fighting off a growing sense of concern...

In two blowouts (the exhibition and today) a freshman has yet to score a goal. Given our struggles putting the puck in the net last year, I'm worried that we may find ourselves in the same boat when it counts. Can someone please talk me down??
                          Nick Pichette is going to lead the team in points this year.
                          The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                          "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                          GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                          GO LAKERS!!!
                          GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                          "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                          Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                            Nick Pichette is going to lead the team in points this year.
                            Certainly looks that way currently.

Comment

Todd Jackson got the game winner against USM Friday night!

Comment

According to the stats of the first 3 official games, rookies have 1 goal (A game winner for Jackson vs So. Maine) and a total of 5 assists (Dockery- 3, Jackson- 1, and Erickson- 1). Again, lines are changing, McShane is working his magic to find the right combos, and the team needs time to gel. I am more hopeful this season than last.
                                There is no right way to do the wrong thing. Go Cadets

Comment

Working...
                                X