Page 33 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2324252627282930313233343536373839 LastLast
Results 641 to 660 of 774

Thread: Norwich 2016-17 Season Thread: ISO first NEHC title

  1. #641
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Southern Maine
    Posts
    549
    Quote Originally Posted by peddler View Post
    Looking at the pre-game program last night revealed an interesting offensive comparison (which may have absolutely no statistical relevance whatsoever). When comparing the 5 top scorers for each team (which I have since tried to reconcile to the statistics for both teams, and can't), Norwich had approximately 166 points among those 5 (Pelletier, Salvucci, Smith, Flaherty & Piacentini), while the corresponding 5 for Hamilton had about 108. Since the level of goal-tending seemed to be similar, the Defensive ranks were almost equal, and the strength of their schedules was not too different, I was hoping that this apparent offensive advantage for the Cadets would play out. That was the game I watched last night for the most part.
    Interesting. Have you done the same exercise to compare NU to Adrian?

  2. #642
    Cadets fan by marriage
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Northfield, VT
    Posts
    475

    Re: Norwich 2016-17 Season Thread: ISO first NEHC title

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Rook NU'66 View Post
    Interesting. Have you done the same exercise to compare NU to Adrian?
    The same exercise has Norwich about 5% better than Adrian. No where near the gap of last night's contest. Offense and defense ranks similar. Adrian would appear to have had a tougher schedule (SOS) but that's hard to evaluate, given the minimal number of East-West contests during the regular season. The only place I see a significant difference is between the pipes. Norwich has a pair ranked #3 & #4 (based on an average 1.689 GAA), Entmaa from Adrian is 15-6-2, with a 2.175 GAA, and a save % of .915. That's enough to make him #20 on the D3 ranking of goaltenders. I have yet to watch the Cadets outside of Kreitzberg this year, but they are 10-1-2 off home ice. The Aud in Utica measures only 5 feet narrower, and the same length as Kreitzberg, a fairly similar playing surface.

    If I had money to bet.....I'd keep it in my pocket, and enjoy the weekend!
    Last edited by peddler; 03-19-2017 at 11:30 AM.
    The "Miracle" was winning the Gold Medal Game against the Finns. I'm biased, I was there.

  3. #643
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Southern Maine
    Posts
    549
    Quote Originally Posted by peddler View Post
    The same exercise has Norwich about 5% better than Adrian. No where near the gap of last night's contest. Offense and defense ranks similar. Adrian would appear to have had a tougher schedule (SOS) but that's hard to evaluate, given the minimal number of East-West contests during the regular season. The only place I see a significant difference is between the pipes. Norwich has a pair ranked #3 & #4 (based on an average 1.689 GAA), Entmaa from Adrian is 15-6-2, with a 2.175 GAA, and a save % of .915. That's enough to make him #20 on the D3 ranking of goaltenders. I have yet to watch the Cadets outside of Kreitzberg this year, but they are 10-1-2 off home ice. The Aud in Utica measures only 5 feet narrower, and the same length as Kreitzberg, a fairly similar playing surface.

    If I had money to bet.....I'd keep it in my pocket, and enjoy the weekend!
    Thanks...and you are right. I'd never bet on any team at this point. Besides the difference in goal tending...Adrian spends on average close to 18 minutes a game in the box vs half that for NU.. Not sure you can do that in these final four games against a disciplined team. That said Adrian has done well with short handed goals...but again that depends on who they were scored against. Stats only tell you so much.

    My next question is I seem to recall that when he was given a choice in a four game playoff series starting on a Friday, that Coach McShane has opted for the later of the two Friday games. I guess it was to give the coaches a chance to look down the road as to who they might play next. I maybe wrong...but if that's the case...why with the best record among the four finalist is NU playing the earlier game in Utica. Does the NCAA arbitrarily decide which pair open the final four? Like I said, I maybe totally wrong.
    Last edited by Old Rook NU'66; 03-19-2017 at 11:56 AM.

  4. #644
    Rocking 'The Stone'
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Location
    Retired in De Pere
    Posts
    3,342

    Re: Norwich 2016-17 Season Thread: ISO first NEHC title

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Rook NU'66 View Post
    Thanks...and you are right. I'd never bet on any team at this point. My next question is I seem to recall that when he was given a choice in a four game playoff series starting on a Friday, that Coach McShane has opted for the later of the two Friday games. I guess it was to give the coaches a chance to look down the road as to who they might play next. I maybe wrong...but if that's the case...why with the best record among the four finalist is NU playing the earlier game in Utica. Does the NCAA arbitrarily decide which pair open the final four? Like I said, I maybe totally wrong.
    Seeing now that SNC/Trinity play in the opener according to D3 hockey and the NCAA sites..
    SNC Men:
    Four Time National Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014..
    NCHA Champions: 1997, 1998, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017..
    SNC Women:
    O'Brien Cup Champions: 2013.

  5. #645
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Southern Maine
    Posts
    549
    Quote Originally Posted by pete99race View Post
    Seeing now that SNC/Trinity play in the opener according to D3 hockey and the NCAA sites..
    Thanks. I was looking at the Norwich team page on USCHO and they have us playing Adrian at 3 PM.

  6. #646
    cetihcra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Denver, Colorado -- VT awhile back
    Posts
    2,413
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Rook NU'66 View Post
    My next question is I seem to recall that when he was given a choice in a four game playoff series starting on a Friday, that Coach McShane has opted for the later of the two Friday games. I guess it was to give the coaches a chance to look down the road as to who they might play next. I maybe wrong...but if that's the case...why with the best record among the four finalist is NU playing the earlier game in Utica. Does the NCAA arbitrarily decide which pair open the final four? Like I said, I maybe totally wrong.
    Late games allow teams to maintain their normal gameday routine, morning skate (if allowed), lunch, nap, early dinner, get to the rink early. Granted, NU is used to playing the 4p Saturday games all season, the 7p slot allows for their full routine.

    On that note, I'm a little bummed that DU plays at 11a mountain time next Saturday, for the same "routine" reasons, they tend to play worse in earlier games.

    r

  7. #647
    Cadets fan by marriage
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Northfield, VT
    Posts
    475

    Re: Norwich 2016-17 Season Thread: ISO first NEHC title

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Rook NU'66 View Post
    Thanks. I was looking at the Norwich team page on USCHO and they have us playing Adrian at 3 PM.
    That was also the time listed in the NCAA bracket after all four of last nights games were completed. I don't know how the two time slots are allotted, but I'm sure someone here does.
    The "Miracle" was winning the Gold Medal Game against the Finns. I'm biased, I was there.

  8. #648
    Cadets fan by marriage
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Northfield, VT
    Posts
    475

    Re: Norwich 2016-17 Season Thread: ISO first NEHC title

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Rook NU'66 View Post
    Interesting. Have you done the same exercise to compare NU to Adrian?
    The numbers against St Norbert are very similar to those of Hamilton, rather than Adrian. Again this is all just ballparking apparent strengths and weaknesses.
    The "Miracle" was winning the Gold Medal Game against the Finns. I'm biased, I was there.

  9. #649
    Cadets fan by marriage
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Northfield, VT
    Posts
    475

    Re: Norwich 2016-17 Season Thread: ISO first NEHC title

    As I look back at some of the numbers from the 2010 team, the thing (amazingly) that stands out the most is Klinger's 1.2947 GAA over the entire 28 games he played through the NCAA Championship. (Ryan Klingensmith)
    The "Miracle" was winning the Gold Medal Game against the Finns. I'm biased, I was there.

  10. #650
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Plattsburgh, NY
    Posts
    2,467
    Quote Originally Posted by peddler View Post
    That was also the time listed in the NCAA bracket after all four of last nights games were completed. I don't know how the two time slots are allotted, but I'm sure someone here does.
    The women's final 4 games were 3 & 7 as well.

  11. #651
    Cadets fan by marriage
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Northfield, VT
    Posts
    475

    Re: Norwich 2016-17 Season Thread: ISO first NEHC title

    Quote Originally Posted by Birdwatcher View Post
    The women's final 4 games were 3 & 7 as well.
    We were talking about who gets which slot, rather than the start times associated with each game. NCAA site currently has SNC/Trinity at 3pm, and Norwich/Adrian at 6:30pm. Last night those two games/times were reversed.
    The "Miracle" was winning the Gold Medal Game against the Finns. I'm biased, I was there.

  12. #652
    Proud supporter of Osmirwich hockey
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Northfield, VT
    Posts
    15,661

    Re: Norwich 2016-17 Season Thread: ISO first NEHC title

    There was an error in the official schedule that was posted on NCAA.com that has now been corrected.

    Norwich will be playing at 6:30 p.m. vs. Adrian. St. Norbert plays Trinity at 3 p.m. Championship is Saturday at 7pm.

    More information later this week. Tickets are available on Utica's website and there is a direct link on www.norwichathletics.com. More information will be made available later in the week. We will find out what the official "Norwich" sections will be tomorrow on the conference call and that information will be made available as soon as I have it.
    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10
    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" Joecct
    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
    GO LAKERS!!!
    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
    Oswego State '09

  13. #653
    Cadets fan by marriage
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Northfield, VT
    Posts
    475

    Re: Norwich 2016-17 Season Thread: ISO first NEHC title

    Quote Originally Posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
    There was an error in the official schedule that was posted on NCAA.com that has now been corrected.

    Norwich will be playing at 6:30 p.m. vs. Adrian. St. Norbert plays Trinity at 3 p.m. Championship is Saturday at 7pm.

    More information later this week. Tickets are available on Utica's website and there is a direct link on www.norwichathletics.com. More information will be made available later in the week. We will find out what the official "Norwich" sections will be tomorrow on the conference call and that information will be made available as soon as I have it.
    I knew there would be "someone". Do we know how the time slots were determined?

    (In some smoke-filled room?)
    Last edited by peddler; 03-19-2017 at 02:06 PM.
    The "Miracle" was winning the Gold Medal Game against the Finns. I'm biased, I was there.

  14. #654
    Colorado Cadets Fan
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Lafayette, CO
    Posts
    9,312

    Re: Norwich 2016-17 Season Thread: ISO first NEHC title

    Quote Originally Posted by pete99race View Post
    Seeing now that SNC/Trinity play in the opener according to D3 hockey and the NCAA sites..
    Coaches don't get to choose, the NCAA does. McShane always picked the early game when the ECAC East had the final four format. The NCAA rules are that the #1 seed for the host region plays the late game, unless the host team is playing. Since Utica didn't make it, that slot goes to Norwich.
    2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
    2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
    2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
    2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

  15. #655
    Cadets fan by marriage
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Northfield, VT
    Posts
    475

    Re: Norwich 2016-17 Season Thread: ISO first NEHC title

    Quote Originally Posted by NUProf View Post
    Coaches don't get to choose, the NCAA does. McShane always picked the early game when the ECAC East had the final four format. The NCAA rules are that the #1 seed for the host region plays the late game, unless the host team is playing. Since Utica didn't make it, that slot goes to Norwich.
    Prof, I see where the host team is addressed, but can't see where the #1 seed for the host region gets the late game.

    "The national semifinals will start at 3 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. Eastern time, Friday, March 24. The committee will determine the
    order of games. If applicable, the host will play in the late game."

    Unless "host" means highest host region seed.
    Last edited by peddler; 03-19-2017 at 04:06 PM.
    The "Miracle" was winning the Gold Medal Game against the Finns. I'm biased, I was there.

  16. #656
    Colorado Cadets Fan
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Lafayette, CO
    Posts
    9,312

    Re: Norwich 2016-17 Season Thread: ISO first NEHC title

    Quote Originally Posted by peddler View Post
    Prof, see where the host team is addressed, but can't see where the #1 seed for the host region gets the late game.

    "The national semifinals will start at 3 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. Eastern time, Friday, March 24. The committee will determine the
    order of games. If applicable, the host will play in the late game."

    Unless "host" means highest host region seed.
    That is what it has been interpreted as in the past when there was no "host" in the field.

    That rule was written back in the days of not having a predetermined site.
    2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
    2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
    2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
    2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

  17. #657
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    52

    Re: Norwich 2016-17 Season Thread: ISO first NEHC title

    I always liked the 2010 team right from there first game of the season they played in Maine. They just looked good ,and you knew they were going places. The Schrader twins were the best, along with Tory Allen. Yup #7, I gave him the nickname of Lucky. We thought there magic was in large part due to there ability to be able to switch gears when needed, play fast , play slow, hit or no hit, but they always had control of the game and no one could change that. Teams they played were sometimes afraid of there talent. Klinger was so good in the double over time, they could not loose. Thanks for the great season guys. We love watching you. And Thanks for bringing back the big crowds. This years team has moments of greatness , with and with out control of games so far. . Who will they play in goal? If they can pull this off we can then say they were as good as the 2010 team too. They can do it. Go Cadets!!

  18. #658
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Southern Maine
    Posts
    549
    Quote Originally Posted by NUProf View Post
    That is what it has been interpreted as in the past when there was no "host" in the field.

    That rule was written back in the days of not having a predetermined site.
    I have long figured I am far to old to worry about the NCAA. But when I read about how teams are selected...who gets byes...and now who plays at what time...I shake my head and realize the NCAA is one big shell game designed to confuse schools...players...coaches...parents...fans ...and opponents. I give up. I know now that NU plays at 6:30 and I guess that's all I am suppose to know. I do appreciate everyone's help in understanding the logic of it all.

  19. #659
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Southern Maine
    Posts
    549
    Quote Originally Posted by peddler View Post
    As I look back at some of the numbers from the 2010 team, the thing (amazingly) that stands out the most is Klinger's 1.2947 GAA over the entire 28 games he played through the NCAA Championship. (Ryan Klingensmith)
    I remember Klinger very well...actually chatted with he and his folks the morning of that final game. I also remember that St. Norbert's goalie...O'Brien I think was his name...stopped sixty some shots in almost five periods (two OTs)...and while losing was named to the all Tournament team. The kid did it all except stand on his head. What I like about NU's situation now is we have two very capable goalies instead of the just one Klingensmith we had back then.
    Last edited by Old Rook NU'66; 03-19-2017 at 08:54 PM.

  20. #660
    Smoking in the selection room. XYZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Spiez, Switzerland
    Posts
    9,183
    Quote Originally Posted by NUProf View Post
    Coaches don't get to choose, the NCAA does. McShane always picked the early game when the ECAC East had the final four format. The NCAA rules are that the #1 seed for the host region plays the late game, unless the host team is playing. Since Utica didn't make it, that slot goes to Norwich.
    There is no such rule.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 4 users browsing this thread. (1 members and 3 guests)

  1. hawk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •