Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: >>> RIT Tigers 2016-17: Let's Take the Next Step

Re: >>> RIT Tigers 2016-17: Let's Take the Next Step

Quote Originally Posted by LtPowers View Post
    You've mentioned this a few times, but I'm not sure why. Have I implied somewhere that women should be lining up to play hockey for RIT because of academics?

That seems like a tautology. If you can't compete until you're at that level, how do you get to that level without competing?

But here's what I still don't understand -- in part, I fear, because you seem to insist on hinting at things instead of simply stating them outright: If RIT attracted top D-III players by dangling the prospect of going D-I, and those players are better than the players RIT can currently recruit, then why are those players no longer considering RIT? Is the possibility of going D-I more attractive than actually being D-I?

Powers &8^]
    That's precisely the case, yes. Because not only could you dream about playing D-I, you could play for a top-5 team in D-III. Best of both worlds. But without that prospect, you have a non-nationally competitive team without scholarships. There's decidedly less pull.

Fan of chipmunk-like mascots. ARM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nyi19 View Post
    That's precisely the case, yes. Because not only could you dream about playing D-I, you could play for a top-5 team in D-III. Best of both worlds. But without that prospect, you have a non-nationally competitive team without scholarships. There's decidedly less pull.
    You're not giving the past RIT players enough credit. I'm sure that each had her reasons for wanting to go to RIT that were more sound that the logic you claim that players used. As far as hockey goes, the recruiting pitch was likely more along the lines of, "Come to RIT and be a part of building something special." That opportunity still exists, and now the staff has success at both levels to claim. I don't see the Tigers' glass as empty as you do.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by ARM View Post
    I don't see the Tigers' glass as empty as you do.
    One of only three division 1 women's programs that have won two out of their last three conference tournaments.

Quote Originally Posted by EastFan1 View Post
    One of only three division 1 women's programs that have won two out of their last three conference tournaments.
    Huge disappointment today 7-0. This was a rebuilding year but this was rough.

Lt. J. Isaac Powers, Starfleet

Quote Originally Posted by TwigBreaker View Post
    Huge disappointment today 7-0. This was a rebuilding year but this was rough.
    Didn't we just have a rebuilding year last year?

Those Mankato games were close; I was hoping we could win one of them.

Powers &8^]

"RIT Tigers 2016-17: Let's Take the Next Step"

I don't think backwards was the intended step you were looking for but that's what's happening with this team. I'm sure they're missing Ali Binnington quite a lot right about now not to mention anyone that can put the puck in the opposing net. Karma is a you-know-what....you reap what you sow.

Quote Originally Posted by shelfit View Post
    "RIT Tigers 2016-17: Let's Take the Next Step"

I don't think backwards was the intended step you were looking for but that's what's happening with this team. I'm sure they're missing Ali Binnington quite a lot right about now not to mention anyone that can put the puck in the opposing net. Karma is a you-know-what....you reap what you sow.
    The offense is hurting us more than not having a binnington caliber goalie.

Quote Originally Posted by ritBLKnORGsuit View Post
    The offense is hurting us more than not having a binnington caliber goalie.
    0-4 start to the season. 2 GF, 14 GA. Not good at either end of the ice. When you give up more than 3 goals a game or more on average in women's hockey you're going to have a losing record, if that trend continues, and I'm not sure they have any answers in sight to the current offensive and defensive problems. I won't be surprised by a Union sweep this weekend.

Karma is a you-know-what....you reap what you sow.
    What the hell is that supposed to mean?

Powers &8^]

0-4 start to the season. 2 GF, 14 GA. Not good at either end of the ice. When you give up more than 3 goals a game or more on average in women's hockey you're going to have a losing record, if that trend continues, and I'm not sure they have any answers in sight to the current offensive and defensive problems. I won't be surprised by a Union sweep this weekend.
    7 of those were in one game and from what Tiger fans in attendance at that game told me a lot of the goals were the goalie's fault. So I'm going to say we are not as bad as that stat makes us out to be.

7 of those were in one game and from what Tiger fans in attendance at that game told me a lot of the goals were the goalie's fault. So I'm going to say we are not as bad as that stat makes us out to be.
    I did say "if that trend continues" so it's all relative. Over the course of a season stats tell the tale and they don't lie. It's still early yet but some trends start right away so now they need to find a way to break out of the trend they're in at both ends of the rink.

I hate to say it, but this is not a good team. The effort is there but they just don't match up in speed, skill, or size to the likes of Penn State. Players like Rust, Stone, Clayton, and especially Lanteigne looked good, but the rest of the skaters were playing catch-up all night. It improved in the last sixth of the game, especially 6-on-5, but they were still overmatched. Something's wrong with the recruiting.

Oh, and attendance last night was really disappointing, though with the quality of play from this team I guess I understand why. But still -- it's the Ritter! Come on, people.

Powers &8^]

I hate to say it, but this is not a good team. The effort is there but they just don't match up in speed, skill, or size to the likes of Penn State. Players like Rust, Stone, Clayton, and especially Lanteigne looked good, but the rest of the skaters were playing catch-up all night. It improved in the last sixth of the game, especially 6-on-5, but they were still overmatched. Something's wrong with the recruiting.

Oh, and attendance last night was really disappointing, though with the quality of play from this team I guess I understand why. But still -- it's the Ritter! Come on, people.

Powers &8^]
    Agree. Know of one National U18 player that contacted the coaching staff numerous times yet they never reached back. She is now on a WCHA team playing a tonne of minutes. Sometimes I wonder if certain teams feel they can only attract second tier players so they dont bother reaching out to the top dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by crutch View Post
    Agree. Know of one National U18 player that contacted the coaching staff numerous times yet they never reached back. She is now on a WCHA team playing a tonne of minutes. Sometimes I wonder if certain teams feel they can only attract second tier players so they dont bother reaching out to the top dogs.
    The best days for this program are behind them. The reality is they won't be able to turn the tide until they get rid of this coach. His reputation on the recruiting end of things has caught up to him and I'm sure his reputation as a bench coach is also a problem for the reputation of his program. I bet current players are telling recruits the truth when they come for visits and that's not going to help land top level prospects. You can't pretend you're a nice person when you're recruiting and then be a tyrant in the locker-room and on the bench. That gets old real quick for players in today's game.

Powers &8^]
    I don't even recommend women's games to people any more with how bad the on ice performance is. It's a shame to watch the program come to this.

I don't even recommend women's games to people any more with how bad the on ice performance is. It's a shame to watch the program come to this.
    Wow. And that's coming from an RIT fan! Time to get Sacred Heart back on the schedule because that's the same direction RIT is going in. Won't be long until they can't beat DIII teams either.

The best days for this program are behind them. The reality is they won't be able to turn the tide until they get rid of this coach. His reputation on the recruiting end of things has caught up to him and I'm sure his reputation as a bench coach is also a problem for the reputation of his program. I bet current players are telling recruits the truth when they come for visits and that's not going to help land top level prospects. You can't pretend you're a nice person when you're recruiting and then be a tyrant in the locker-room and on the bench. That gets old real quick for players in today's game.
    I'm curious where your information is coming from and if you have any corroboration for it. From your other posts on this thread it seems that you simply enjoy sniping at the program. My criticisms came from a place of disappointment and a desire for improvement; you just seem to be offering vague unsupported criticisms for no apparent purpose. What's your angle?

Powers &8^]

I'm curious where your information is coming from and if you have any corroboration for it. From your other posts on this thread it seems that you simply enjoy sniping at the program. My criticisms came from a place of disappointment and a desire for improvement; you just seem to be offering vague unsupported criticisms for no apparent purpose. What's your angle?

Powers &8^]
    Perhaps it comes from a place of (not necessarily you) people clamoring about the program's status as a national power who can get the best players and the expectation that it was going to just jump in and be competitive at D-I (despite others' pleas to knock people down off their high horse and that it wouldn't happen that way). And you don't need to be an "insider" to know how Scotty is. He's hardly difficult to read and doesn't hide his emotions well, both on the bench and when he thinks others aren't looking (hallways, outside locker rooms, etc.) And yes, that does come from my personal experience.

Perhaps it comes from a place of (not necessarily you) people clamoring about the program's status as a national power who can get the best players and the expectation that it was going to just jump in and be competitive at D-I (despite others' pleas to knock people down off their high horse and that it wouldn't happen that way). And you don't need to be an "insider" to know how Scotty is. He's hardly difficult to read and doesn't hide his emotions well, both on the bench and when he thinks others aren't looking (hallways, outside locker rooms, etc.) And yes, that does come from my personal experience.

Ditto!

Perhaps it comes from a place of (not necessarily you) people clamoring about the program's status as a national power who can get the best players and the expectation that it was going to just jump in and be competitive at D-I (despite others' pleas to knock people down off their high horse and that it wouldn't happen that way).
    I'm not aware of anyone who thought we'd be competing for a national championship anytime soon. CHA championships, yes, but that doesn't seem unreasonable, especially considering the banners we already have.

And you don't need to be an "insider" to know how Scotty is. He's hardly difficult to read and doesn't hide his emotions well, both on the bench and when he thinks others aren't looking (hallways, outside locker rooms, etc.) And yes, that does come from my personal experience.
    As someone who isn't on campus much (and certainly never anywhere near the locker room), help me out here.

Powers &8^]

Thread Information