>>> RIT Tigers 2016-17: Let's Take the Next Step

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• >>> RIT Tigers 2016-17: Let's Take the Next Step

Congratulations to Jetta Rackleff and Erin Zach, who were drafted by CWHL teams today. Rackleff was drafted #52 overall by the Brampton Thunder. Zach, who played professionally for the Buffalo Beauts of the NWHL last year, was drafted by the Toronto Furies #32 overall. The Furies previously drafted Katie Stack, in 2011.

On another note, the ladies will be playing a Throwback Thursday night home game at the Frank Ritter Memorial Ice Arena, vs Penn State on October 27. I'd like to see that barn packed, just like the old days.

Powers &8^]

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
    Congratulations to Jetta Rackleff and Erin Zach, who were drafted by CWHL teams today. Rackleff was drafted #52 overall by the Brampton Thunder. Zach, who played professionally for the Buffalo Beauts of the NWHL last year, was drafted by the Toronto Furies #32 overall. The Furies previously drafted Katie Stack, in 2011.

On another note, the ladies will be playing a Throwback Thursday night home game at the Frank Ritter Memorial Ice Arena, vs Penn State on October 27. I'd like to see that barn packed, just like the old days.

Powers &8^]
    I think many would like to see them win, just like the old days, although that was when they were still a D3 team but telling recruits for several years that they were going D1 "really soon." Lol. Boy how that ship has sailed.

Comment

Re: >>> RIT Tigers 2016-17: Let's Take the Next Step

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
      I think many would like to see them win, just like the old days, although that was when they were still a D3 team but telling recruits for several years that they were going D1 "really soon." Lol. Boy how that ship has sailed.
      You seem bitter. Considering they did, in fact, go D1, I'm not sure what you're getting at. It's true they had a down year last year, but it happens, especially when you lose players of the caliber they had.

Powers &8^]

Comment

You seem bitter. Considering they did, in fact, go D1, I'm not sure what you're getting at. It's true they had a down year last year, but it happens, especially when you lose players of the caliber they had.

Powers &8^]
        I believe that is precisely shelfit's point.

They lost the top D-III players who were recruited because of the prospect of going D-I. And they were better than the D-I players RIT can now recruit.

Comment

Originally posted by nyi19 View Post
          I believe that is precisely shelfit's point. They lost the top D-III players who were recruited because of the prospect of going D-I. And they were better than the D-I players RIT can now recruit.
          Please help my meager mind. So the recruits decided to not go to RIT because RIT was going D1 and instead the recruits wanted to play D3? So it's not about the school (academics etc, or the coach) but the level of competition?

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
            Please help my meager mind. So the recruits decided to not go to RIT because RIT was going D1 and instead the recruits wanted to play D3? So it's not about the school (academics etc, or the coach) but the level of competition?
            It would seem the only possible explanation would be that they didn't want to make the extra commitment to hockey that D1 requires, instead choosing to focus more on their studies and/or other aspects of college life besides hockey.
            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
              It would seem the only possible explanation would be that they didn't want to make the extra commitment to hockey that D1 requires, instead choosing to focus more on their studies and/or other aspects of college life besides hockey.
              Would seem to be the logical conclusion. Making the assumption they ACTUALLY would spend less time. That begs the question of what the recruiters were saying on the recruiting trail. I mean a heads up somewhere?

Comment

Since this is an RIT thread, I want to ask about your former assistant coach, Lisa Marshall, who signed on with Penn State over the summer. Is there anything worth noting about her? Is she a good coach, bad coach, average coach, and how did the players respond to her coaching? Stuff like that.

Comment

They lost the top D-III players who were recruited because of the prospect of going D-I. And they were better than the D-I players RIT can now recruit.
                  I don't get it.

If RIT was able to recruit very good players by being a D-III team that might go D-I, why would they now be unable to recruit very good players as an honest-to-goodness actual D-I team?

Powers &8^]

Comment

I don't get it.

If RIT was able to recruit very good players by being a D-III team that might go D-I, why would they now be unable to recruit very good players as an honest-to-goodness actual D-I team?

Powers &8^]
                    Because the recruits' DI-coloroed glasses aren't so rosy anymore when they see the relative lack of success as a D-I team. A lot more attractive to an incoming player to get recruited to a powerhouse before they see they don't have a chance to compete on a national level.

I'm having deja vu. How many times can we have the same conversaton?

I know everyone wants to believe these girls simply go for quality education and it's not all about hockey. Some do. I'm sure of that.

That's likely the case for a lot of new RIT players. The ones they would have gotten before going D-I are now going to go to the top D-III teams because they can win more and play for a more competitive team. And, hard as it may be to believe, a quality education can be gotten in places aside from the shores of Lake Ontario.

Comment

Because the recruits' DI-coloroed glasses aren't so rosy anymore when they see the relative lack of success as a D-I team.
                      Two conference championships and an NCAA berth in four years is "lack of success"?

Powers &8^]

Comment

Two conference championships and an NCAA berth in four years is "lack of success"?

Powers &8^]
                        You have to believe that most recruits understand that winning the CHA hardly constitutes being a national power. Give the girls some credit, you know?

Comment

You have to believe that most recruits understand that winning the CHA hardly constitutes being a national power. Give the girls some credit, you know?
                          So being a "national power" is the only way to get good hockey players? Is Mercyhurst a national power? Union? Harvard? Or just Minnesota, Wisconsin, Clarkson, and Minnesota-Duluth?

Powers &8^]

Comment

So being a "national power" is the only way to get good hockey players? Is Mercyhurst a national power? Union? Harvard? Or just Minnesota, Wisconsin, Clarkson, and Minnesota-Duluth?

Powers &8^]
                            Yes, Mercyhurst is a national power. That many NCAA appearances in what was a non-AQ conference? History speaks for itself.

Yes, Harvard is a national power. It was in the NCAA championship game two years ago and had double-digit losses last season for the first time since 2010-11.

No, Union is not a national power. And it won't get the top hockey players. In fact, a school like the D-III version of RIT likely wouldn't have taken the players who play on that team.

To answer your question as it relates to competing at D-I: Established programs will always have a better chance. So if you can't get to that level, you won't compete. Level playing field for RIT at D-III with lack of scholarships. But now you better hope a star player loves the school and the programs at it if you're going to get them to go there. Men's program has been D-I for how long now? A Frozen Four run, sure, but not a whole lot else to write home about.

The question on this thread is always "Why can't they get good players?" Anyone can answer that question as soon as they stop being naive. A quality education can be obtained in places aside from private schools in upstate New York.

When you're not a top program, top players will cross you off their lists, regardless of education possibilities.

Mercyhurst, Harvard, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Clarkson, and Minnesota-Duluth have professors and offer degrees, too.
                            Last edited by nyi19; 09-13-2016, 05:21 PM.

Comment

Yes, Mercyhurst is a national power. That many NCAA appearances in what was a non-AQ conference? History speaks for itself.

Yes, Harvard is a national power. It was in the NCAA championship game two years ago and had double-digit losses last season for the first time since 2010-11.

No, Union is not a national power. And it won't get the top hockey players. In fact, a school like the D-III version of RIT likely wouldn't have taken the players who play on that team.

To answer your question as it relates to competing at D-I: Established programs will always have a better chance. So if you can't get to that level, you won't compete. Level playing field for RIT at D-III with lack of scholarships. But now you better hope a star player loves the school and the programs at it if you're going to get them to go there. Men's program has been D-I for how long now? A Frozen Four run, sure, but not a whole lot else to write home about.

The question on this thread is always "Why can't they get good players?" Anyone can answer that question as soon as they stop being naive. A quality education can be obtained in places aside from private schools in upstate New York.

When you're not a top program, top players will cross you off their lists, regardless of education possibilities.

Mercyhurst, Harvard, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Clarkson, and Minnesota-Duluth have professors and offer degrees, too.
                              Clarkson has not been around that long, but if you have a good head coach (or in our case co head coaches) who knows how to recruit, you can build a program to a national contender pretty quickly.

If you don't or can't recruit wisely, I don't care what your school name is, you will not be successful
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                              X