Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 991

Thread: UAA `16-17 Let's end this thing with a BANG

  1. #81
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    577

    Unhappy Re: UAA `16-17 Let's end this thing with a BANG

    Quote Originally Posted by The Sicatoka View Post
    “Right now we’re not recruiting, because we don’t really have a program to sell to,”

    http://www.ktva.com/hockey-other-spo...a-budget-cuts/
    Hopefully a lot of people will show up today for the meeting with Dr. Johnsen. I am not sure what he can really do though. His hands are very tied.

  2. #82
    AKA - "Drop The Puck"
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    In Your Head
    Posts
    1,958

    Re: UAA `16-17 Let's end this thing with a BANG

    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
    Hopefully a lot of people will show up today for the meeting with Dr. Johnsen. I am not sure what he can really do though. His hands are very tied.
    He could show he isn't a bagman for the legislature and push back. But he won't because he (like every other UAA upper level official ... Bill Spindle and Tom Case) are only concerned with their positions and not concerned with what's best for the University and community. Not a single testicle between the three of them.

  3. #83
    AKA - "Drop The Puck"
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    In Your Head
    Posts
    1,958

    Re: UAA `16-17 Let's end this thing with a BANG

    Got to see some of the forum online (they posted a bad link at first) but was lucky enough to see Chuck Homan speak ... someone shake his hand for me and thank him for what he said.

    Everyone I saw speak spoke in positive support of athletics at UAA. We'll see if Johnsen has any cajones or if this event was just BS because he's got his marching orders from his masters (the legislature). Not much to do except crossing of the fingers. I personally tend toward pessimism at this point.

  4. #84
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Alaxsxaq
    Posts
    739

    Re: UAA `16-17 Let's end this thing with a BANG

    Dr. Johnsen is a pencil neck. His cocky smirk throughout the forum has me wondering if the legislators have already made up their mind. He is a good public speaker though, didn't dance around the questions too much. I got there a little before 1, I'd say 90% of the speakers were in favor of UAA Athletics. The head coaches that I saw spoke (Cross Country, Men's BB, Women's BB) were great and moving, Jim Dahl gave the most moving speech about former student athletes and their public jobs. Good to see two students speak in favor of athletics. When they only had enough time for two last speakers, this woman was oblivious to the fact the Brush was behind here (which I call baloney seeing as how she as worked the games for as long as I can remember), didn't allow him to speak and instead gave a short but sweet speech. You gotta let the godfather speak woman. It was well attended, it spilled out of the cafeteria. Good to see all the hockey alumni there, Dahl, JJ, others that I can't name right now, and Haider. I think we did all we could.
    “At the end of the day, the Gov Cup is just a trophy,” UAA senior Jordan Kwas said. “I’d rather be in the Final Five every time over winning the Gov Cup.”

    Matt Thomas' Record
    (2013-14) 18-16-4
    (2014-15) 8-22-4
    (2015-16) 11-20-3
    (2016-17) 7-21-6
    (Total) 44-79-17

    2016-17 Word(s) of the Season: Medicore coaching for 24 years due to administration

  5. #85
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Alaxsxaq
    Posts
    739

    Re: UAA `16-17 Let's end this thing with a BANG

    Quote Originally Posted by uaafanblog View Post
    Got to see some of the forum online (they posted a bad link at first) but was lucky enough to see Chuck Homan speak ... someone shake his hand for me and thank him for what he said.

    Everyone I saw speak spoke in positive support of athletics at UAA. We'll see if Johnsen has any cajones or if this event was just BS because he's got his marching orders from his masters (the legislature). Not much to do except crossing of the fingers. I personally tend toward pessimism at this point.
    Wonder how the UAS forum will go.
    “At the end of the day, the Gov Cup is just a trophy,” UAA senior Jordan Kwas said. “I’d rather be in the Final Five every time over winning the Gov Cup.”

    Matt Thomas' Record
    (2013-14) 18-16-4
    (2014-15) 8-22-4
    (2015-16) 11-20-3
    (2016-17) 7-21-6
    (Total) 44-79-17

    2016-17 Word(s) of the Season: Medicore coaching for 24 years due to administration

  6. #86
    Coach Emeritus
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Enjoying the arrival of the Broadmoor Trophy in 2017
    Posts
    2,462

    Re: UAA `16-17 Let's end this thing with a BANG

    Because I'm not up to speed on Alaska politics, I'm looking for an answer on these points.

    How many of the legislature members are up for re-election this fall? Is this issue being used as a selling point by candidates or used against them by their opponents? Are there lame-duck legislators who are trying to shove this through before they leave office?

  7. #87
    AKA - "Drop The Puck"
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    In Your Head
    Posts
    1,958

    Re: UAA `16-17 Let's end this thing with a BANG

    Quote Originally Posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
    Because I'm not up to speed on Alaska politics, I'm looking for an answer on these points.

    How many of the legislature members are up for re-election this fall? Is this issue being used as a selling point by candidates or used against them by their opponents? Are there lame-duck legislators who are trying to shove this through before they leave office?
    Alaska is a very RED state. For the past 40 years it's been DOMINATED by state legislators who use "Fiscal Conservatism" as PR to sell to their constituents who overwhelmingly vote right-wing because they all think they are effing cowboy individualists who are self-made successes (whether or not they are). They also believe the money in state coffers came out of their pocket somehow when nobody in the state has paid any state taxes ever. This attitude is hugely prevalent outside of the two cities. So every year it's all about cutting the budget because they've never properly forecasted revenue in advance. They're incompetent at everything except pandering to the people that they know will vote them back in.

  8. #88
    Suze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Posts
    21,191

    Re: UAA `16-17 Let's end this thing with a BANG

    Quote Originally Posted by uaafanblog View Post
    Alaska is a very RED state. For the past 40 years it's been DOMINATED by state legislators who use "Fiscal Conservatism" as PR to sell to their constituents who overwhelmingly vote right-wing because they all think they are effing cowboy individualists who are self-made successes (whether or not they are). They also believe the money in state coffers came out of their pocket somehow when nobody in the state has paid any state taxes ever. This attitude is hugely prevalent outside of the two cities. So every year it's all about cutting the budget because they've never properly forecasted revenue in advance. They're incompetent at everything except pandering to the people that they know will vote them back in.
    Actually, there were state income taxes at one time. Hammond signed a bill in 1980 to eliminate personal income tax (after the pipeline generated billions of new revenue).
    Originally Posted by aparch
    I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

    From ADN:

    "According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

    UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

  9. #89
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    577

    Re: UAA `16-17 Let's end this thing with a BANG

    So, in the meeting yesterday, UA President Jim Johnsen said that Intercollegiate athletics at UA will definitely go forward. The question is, which teams will be cut and replaced. So, If UAA replaces hockey with Mens/Womens Soccer and deletes Gymnastics and the Skiing programs, will you still support UAA?

    For me, I think it will be hard. I like our basketball and Volleyball teams, but Division I really is where it is at and UAA has a Division I hockey team. If the hockey team goes away, then I probably will dissolve my relationship with UAA. I know that it sounds harsh, but Division I is really where it is at. I have said that UAA should go Division I in all sports because while we are good at Division II, nobody cares. Will anyone care if we go all Division I? I think it would be more relevant than Division II. While I concede that we probably won't go Division I in all sports, I do hope it happens in my lifetime. For now, I am a Texas State Fan and will probably shift my allegiance. I would be a sad break-up, but it is what it is. I will keep my ear and pulse on UAA only to see if there is ever any talk about going D-1. But, with Alaska's politics and fiscal constraints, I really doubt it now.

  10. #90
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    4,598

    Re: UAA `16-17 Let's end this thing with a BANG

    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post

    For me, I think it will be hard. I like our basketball and Volleyball teams, but Division I really is where it is at and UAA has a Division I hockey team. If the hockey team goes away, then I probably will dissolve my relationship with UAA. I know that it sounds harsh, but Division I is really where it is at. I have said that UAA should go Division I in all sports because while we are good at Division II, nobody cares. Will anyone care if we go all Division I? I think it would be more relevant than Division II. While I concede that we probably won't go Division I in all sports, I do hope it happens in my lifetime. For now, I am a Texas State Fan and will probably shift my allegiance. I would be a sad break-up, but it is what it is. I will keep my ear and pulse on UAA only to see if there is ever any talk about going D-1. But, with Alaska's politics and fiscal constraints, I really doubt it now.
    If Lake State cuts hockey, I would dissolve my relationship with LSSU, so I definitely get where you are coming from on that.

  11. #91
    gfmorris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Madison, AL, USA
    Posts
    7,414

    Re: UAA `16-17 Let's end this thing with a BANG

    Quote Originally Posted by Laker Dude View Post
    If Lake State cuts hockey, I would dissolve my relationship with LSSU, so I definitely get where you are coming from on that.
    I was the same way with UAH. I told them that I'd get my master's degree elsewhere.

    GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

  12. #92
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    29

    Re: UAA `16-17 Let's end this thing with a BANG

    Excellent summary of Alaska politics.


    Quote Originally Posted by uaafanblog View Post
    Alaska is a very RED state. For the past 40 years it's been DOMINATED by state legislators who use "Fiscal Conservatism" as PR to sell to their constituents who overwhelmingly vote right-wing because they all think they are effing cowboy individualists who are self-made successes (whether or not they are). They also believe the money in state coffers came out of their pocket somehow when nobody in the state has paid any state taxes ever. This attitude is hugely prevalent outside of the two cities. So every year it's all about cutting the budget because they've never properly forecasted revenue in advance. They're incompetent at everything except pandering to the people that they know will vote them back in.

  13. #93
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    29

    Re: UAA `16-17 Let's end this thing with a BANG

    Coach Thomas just tweeted that recruiting has not been suspend. Staff are currently in the lower 48! Not to sure what that sound bit was in the news.

  14. #94
    When did our mascot get so ugly?
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Los Anchorage
    Posts
    414

    Re: UAA `16-17 Let's end this thing with a BANG

    Quote Originally Posted by The Sicatoka View Post
    “Right now we’re not recruiting, because we don’t really have a program to sell to,”
    Today's tweet from the coach:

    "Recruiting is not suspended. Staff is currently on the road recruiting. Been a positive week. Needs for 17-18 nearly met . @chnews"

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    What's up with that? :0/

  15. #95
    When did our mascot get so ugly?
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Los Anchorage
    Posts
    414

    Re: UAA `16-17 Let's end this thing with a BANG

    Oops. I must've been typing after you sent that hockeytownak.

    I went to the event the other day and was blown away that given the time they chose to hold it, topped with zero parking, that the seats were filled up and that even the balcony area looking down on the area was full of people. I was impressed with those that spoke, but not so impressed with those who held it.

  16. #96
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    108
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaRox View Post
    Today's tweet from the coach:

    "Recruiting is not suspended. Staff is currently on the road recruiting. Been a positive week. Needs for 17-18 nearly met . @chnews"

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    What's up with that? :0/
    Sounds like his first answer wasn't the company line and he was corrected.

  17. #97
    Suze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Posts
    21,191

    Re: UAA `16-17 Let's end this thing with a BANG

    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaRox View Post
    Today's tweet from the coach:

    "Recruiting is not suspended. Staff is currently on the road recruiting. Been a positive week. Needs for 17-18 nearly met . @chnews"



    What's up with that? :0/
    Good news. Too bad we lost Walker in all this mess. He would have been that blue chipper we sorely need.
    Originally Posted by aparch
    I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

    From ADN:

    "According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

    UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

  18. #98
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    577
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaRox View Post
    Today's tweet from the coach:

    "Recruiting is not suspended. Staff is currently on the road recruiting. Been a positive week. Needs for 17-18 nearly met . @chnews"

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    What's up with that? :0/
    Thats Great news!!!!!

  19. #99
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,301

    Re: UAA `16-17 Let's end this thing with a BANG

    Quote Originally Posted by hockeytownak View Post
    Excellent summary of Alaska politics.
    You are correct on the poor to nonexistent planning for the future.
    Also correct on the cutting. However the only cutting was to social programs not mega projects (dams, bridges, etc.) or oil company revenues. They did cut the pittance in taxes the oil companies paid.
    The one thing that has been left out of the summary is the elected "conservatives" were not conservative with OUR money.
    They spent and spent and spent. That's the reason we are in an unsustainable position now.
    Last edited by Seawolf Fan; 09-11-2016 at 07:05 AM.

  20. #100
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Alaxsxaq
    Posts
    739

    Re: UAA `16-17 Let's end this thing with a BANG

    “At the end of the day, the Gov Cup is just a trophy,” UAA senior Jordan Kwas said. “I’d rather be in the Final Five every time over winning the Gov Cup.”

    Matt Thomas' Record
    (2013-14) 18-16-4
    (2014-15) 8-22-4
    (2015-16) 11-20-3
    (2016-17) 7-21-6
    (Total) 44-79-17

    2016-17 Word(s) of the Season: Medicore coaching for 24 years due to administration

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •