This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UAA `16-17 Let's end this thing with a BANG

At least two of the games will be tape delayed, and yes every single person that doesn't show up will continue to put our team in the hole.

http://www.goseawolves.com/ViewArtic...B_OEM_ID=13400
    Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

...or we can just mope around and watch them turn into a club team. If we don't fight for them, they're gone for sure. It's not a done deal, if we voice our concern. These were three options, not the only options. There are a lot of politics in play here. Let your voice be heard if you feel collegiate hockey/athletics are important to you...3% of the overall budget, is not much. Surely more money could be saved by replacing some of those rural satellite campuses with a good online substitute.

Originally posted by AKSWF View Post
      UAA home attendance:
      12-13 2729 4-25-7, 2-20-6
      13-14 2526 18–16–4, 12–12–4
      14-15 2091 8–22–4, 5–21–2
      15-17 1763 11–20–3, 8–18–2

One can only help. The numbers from 13-14 to 14-15 are really depressing.
      Last edited by hockeytownak; 08-31-2016, 05:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
        Yup. The WCHA is killing us.
        Pretty much everyone in the league outside the Tech-Mankato-BG grouping is hurting for money, and if you ask the guys from Ohio, they'll complain about the big travel cost spike from the CCHA days. I know that this makes y'all shake your heads —*I don't know if you even bus to Fairbanks —*but it is a reality whether we like it or not. I ran the travel numbers the other night, and they're no joke. UAA and UAF were generally traveling 32-33k miles a season, and the only teams breaking 20k were UAH and NMU (since we both did the double twice already).

I hope that the situation can be equitable. Not everyone flies to Huntsville, but plenty of folks do, and traveling here isn't cheap — and we have a subsidy, too, although not as stiff.

GFM
        Geof F. Morris
        UAH BSE MAE 2002
        UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
          Pretty much everyone in the league outside the Tech-Mankato-BG grouping is hurting for money, and if you ask the guys from Ohio, they'll complain about the big travel cost spike from the CCHA days. I know that this makes y'all shake your heads —*I don't know if you even bus to Fairbanks —*but it is a reality whether we like it or not. I ran the travel numbers the other night, and they're no joke. UAA and UAF were generally traveling 32-33k miles a season, and the only teams breaking 20k were UAH and NMU (since we both did the double twice already).

I hope that the situation can be equitable. Not everyone flies to Huntsville, but plenty of folks do, and traveling here isn't cheap — and we have a subsidy, too, although not as stiff.

GFM
          Do you see us in your season thread?

Comment

Originally posted by hockeytownak View Post
            ...or we can just mope around and watch them turn into a club team.
            I've brought my friends to games over the years, and let me just say that is no easy feat seeing how nearly everybody knows the hockey teams losses a lot. The only person I've gotten to go more than once was my gf, a dead atmosphere, losing team, the growing amount of ice on the roads during winter, a much older audience are all contributing factors of why us youngins don't have UAA hockey high on the list of things to do Friday/Saturday nights. All that aside, me and my gf still attend most home games.

If we don't fight for them, they're gone for sure. It's not a done deal, if we voice our concern. These were three options, not the only options.
            I have been voicing my concern, over on twitter to no avail.

There are a lot of politics in play here. Let your voice be heard if you feel collegiate hockey/athletics are important to you...3% of the overall budget, is not much. Surely more money could be saved by replacing some of those rural satellite campuses with a good online substitute.
            I made a doodle pool seeing the public's interest in donating money to save hockey. I have shared it on here, twitter, the email of UAA hockey fans, ADN, etc.

8 responses, two of which are from me and gf are well you know. Interestingly enough, Tuttle was the first person to respond. Here's the link: http://doodle.com/poll/9p3udwkszmxf5d89
            Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

8 responses, two of which are from me and gf are well you know. Interestingly enough, Tuttle was the first person to respond. Here's the link: http://doodle.com/poll/9p3udwkszmxf5d89
              When we were in peril, what saved us was our hockey alumni working with our giving alumni to really increase the donations. That's the only thing that saved us —*not the Save UAH Hockey song-and-dance that they had me doing over on the side to drive publicity. I sure hope that the money is there for you.

GFM
              Geof F. Morris
              UAH BSE MAE 2002
              UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                When we were in peril, what saved us was our hockey alumni working with our giving alumni to really increase the donations. That's the only thing that saved us —*not the Save UAH Hockey song-and-dance that they had me doing over on the side to drive publicity. I sure hope that the money is there for you.

GFM
                The measures taken by alumni and supporters for UAH Hockey and UAB football. Those, along with a new hockey friendly President at UAH and a President in the midst of a PR nightmare at UAB. I'm sure fans in Fairbanks and Anchorage are working their legislators and potential donors. Keep your voices heard, loudly & often. Hopefully at least one, if not both, programs can continue and have the resources needed to be successful.
                "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by Blitz View Post
                  Tentatively when will the final decision be made and what year will it impact? Will any decision impact next season 2017 / 2018? NCAA schedules may potentially be affected and i would think lead time would be required as it impacts the entire conference in some way. Maybe it will take even longer depending on how everything plays out, but i would suspect 2017 / 2018 would be the earliest with 2018 / 2019 more likely. Thoughts?
                  I read that if hockey is eliminated it would take 2 years to implement, but who knows!
                  Originally Posted by aparch
                  I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

At least two of the games will be tape delayed, and yes every single person that doesn't show up will continue to put our team in the hole.

http://www.goseawolves.com/ViewArtic...B_OEM_ID=13400
                    That is just a stupid move on the Universities part. Hackett told me they would evaluate the situation after last season if the attendance was negatively affected, and it was. They are hurting so badly to get butts in the seats, but putting it on air LIVE isn't helping one bit. Talk to people like Haider, who has spent his life in radio, and he will tell you this is not a smart move. (Yes, he and I have discussed this quite a bit).
                    I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

If the WCHA changed from clutch and grab to shoot and scoot, perhaps more people would watch.
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

I read that if hockey is eliminated it would take 2 years to implement, but who knows!
                        It'll absolutely vary from situation to situation, but when UAH initially dropped the program, cut all the scheduling contracts (and paid the termination fees), and released the players within three weeks' time with an plan to end the program at the end of the newly-started season. The situation was the same or worse for the other programs that have cut hockey over the last few years: Wayne State, Findlay, Iona, and Fairfield. As I remember it, Wayne State knew that they had a season left, Iona and Fairfield announced the cut mid-season, and Findlay axed the program after the season is over.

GFM
                        Geof F. Morris
                        UAH BSE MAE 2002
                        UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                          If the WCHA changed from clutch and grab to shoot and scoot, perhaps more people would watch.
                          Its already changed to wide open hockey, you missed the memo

Comment

If hockey gets eliminated, it'll be an instant death. No one will want to play for a program that's going nowhere.
                            BGSU Class of 2017

Comment

Didn't see Hackett or any of his minions there last night.
                              What a surprise.
                              Maybe I didn't look hard enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Seawolf Fan View Post
                                Didn't see Hackett or any of his minions there last night.
                                What a surprise.
                                Maybe I didn't look hard enough.
                                Was anyone from the University there?

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Working...
                                X