This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UAA `16-17 Let's end this thing with a BANG

I’ve been going to Seawolf games since they turned D1 in 1985 and only missed a handful of WCHA home games between 1993 and 2013, when we moved Outside. So, haven’t seen Thomas’ teams play in person. And WCHA.TV isn’t worth it… Home ice might get me on a plane back to Anchorage, but no need to book my seats just yet… So here is my two cents worth...

You always get a bump with a new coach – everyone is excited and it translates to effort and enthusiasm on the ice. Lucia’s results after arriving at CC is an extreme example. But changing coaches every 5-8 years isn’t and hasn’t been the answer. We’ve tried that… We’ve finished at (but never above) .500 in league play exactly once since joining the WCHA and that was Thomas’ first year, so by that measure he is our most successful coach. Way too early to start dragging him through the mud… Each of our coaches have been above .400 only once during their tenure (except twice for Talafous!) but not one has cracked the .500 ceiling yet. Under the current playoff configuration, you will need to be comfortably above .500 to host playoffs.

UAA’s problem goes way deeper than who is behind the bench – the hockey team is a Division 1 program struggling to operate with, at best, a Division 2 level of support. We’ve never had a D1 level of commitment to the program - never had a D1 caliber Athletic Director or athletic department, never had a D1 level of financial commitment from the University or the State. Since joining the WCHA, the hockey team has never had the resources necessary to be truly competitive with the big guns in the old WCHA. So far the same is true in the new league. The travel subsidies we have had to provide other teams obviously hurt, too. Given the current financial situation of the University and State of Alaska, and the fact that the majority of the sports at UAA are D2, I don’t see this changing.

We have been and always will be at a recruiting disadvantage simply because of our location. The Strategic Pathways debacle will impact recruiting beyond just a couple of years. There is long-term uncertainty around the program and the best recruits from Alaska or wherever will continue to go elsewhere. A Beagle or a Glencross may pop up here or there, but it’s tough to build a team around one guy that only stays for a year or two.

Not putting ice in the Alaska Airlines center was a travesty – that would have been a sign of a D1 level of commitment, but the D2 mentality struck again. It would have given the team a real home arena with easy student access - a big morale booster. When Cobb & Company promised there would be a separate ice arena on campus at a later date, it was a total snow job to placate the angry hordes - it won’t ever happen now. The right thing to do was build the facility with ice. Duh…

This doesn’t necessarily mean that we can’t be successful, but I believe that it will take a perfect storm of recruits, coaching and chemistry for UAA to achieve hockey success. By success I mean home ice for the playoffs, to start with. Getting excited about the possibility of making 8th place and the last playoff spot doesn’t cut it… Sustained success – competing for home ice year after year – doesn’t look very likely in the near future.

I gave up on blind optimism at the beginning of the season a long time ago – too many years of disappointment. But I was still there almost every night cheering them on because I love college hockey and the home team. I’ve also come to appreciate that these are kids in their early 20s – their priorities should be getting an education and having fun playing hockey. For the most part, they are doing the best they can. Fans shouldn’t be too hard on them just because the team doesn’t meet the fan’s expectations… Save that for the pro teams…

Hope all that is worth two cents…

Comment

I think you are spot on when you say we are operating a Division 1 program with a Division 2 budget and mentality. That is where it is at bottom line.

Comment

Originally posted by AKSWF View Post
        Don't know much about Joey Crabb, but he is not too far from playing in the NHL and other top leagues around the world. He is volunteering already, UAA needs to take a chance with the program still flat lining.
        Sounds good to me. From what I have seen of Thomas on the bench, he is a hot head. Hopefully he doesn't unleash like that onto the players.
        Last edited by Suze; 01-26-2017, 03:25 PM.
        Originally Posted by aparch
        I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfman View Post
          I think you are spot on when you say we are operating a Division 1 program with a Division 2 budget and mentality. That is where it is at bottom line.
          This is where UAH is, too.

GFM
          Geof F. Morris
          UAH BSE MAE 2002
          UAHHockey.com

Comment

• Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
            This is where UAH is, too.

GFM
            That's where half the conference is.
            Co-Founder/Editor of BGSUHockey.com

Comment

Out of 60 NCAA D1 hockey schools 21 are classified as D2 or D3, only 16 are full D1 schools and the others have a mix of D1 - D3 sports. The WCHA has 9 out of 10 teams classified as D2 schools. UAA is far from the bottom with their coaching and recruiting budget many schools spend less. We all know it is both coaching and recruiting to make a program successful. The frozen north of Fairbanks seems to be doing something right, not great, but consistently in the middle of the division. Union College a D3 school with D1 hockey won a National Championship 3 years ago. Have we ever had a past UAA hockey coach move on to be the head coach of another D1 hockey program?

Comment

Originally posted by USCH1 View Post
                Out of 60 NCAA D1 hockey schools 21 are classified as D2 or D3, only 16 are full D1 schools and the others have a mix of D1 - D3 sports. The WCHA has 9 out of 10 teams classified as D2 schools. UAA is far from the bottom with their coaching and recruiting budget many schools spend less. We all know it is both coaching and recruiting to make a program successful. The frozen north of Fairbanks seems to be doing something right, not great, but consistently in the middle of the division. Union College a D3 school with D1 hockey won a National Championship 3 years ago. Have we ever had a past UAA hockey coach move on to be the head coach of another D1 hockey program?
                We have had assistants that have ... Whitten for example. And there are rumors of Shyiak getting the Northern job. But you bring up some good points.
                I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by BGDrew View Post
                  That's where half the conference is.
                  I really wish that you were wrong, but you sure aren't.

GFM
                  Geof F. Morris
                  UAH BSE MAE 2002
                  UAHHockey.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Suze View Post
                    We have had assistants that have ... Whitten for example. And there are rumors of Shyiak getting the Northern job. But you bring up some good points.
                    There are rumors of a few alumni wanting Shyiak for the job. Nothing with any real substance to it.
                    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                      There are rumors of a few alumni wanting Shyiak for the job. Nothing with any real substance to it.
                      Yup, and that is why I also used the word "rumors".

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

• Originally posted by Suze View Post
                        Sounds good to me. From what I have seen of Thomas on the bench, he is a hot head. Hopefully he doesn't unleash like that onto the players.
                        I would not let one outburst define him, then you could classify Shyiak as a hot head. Shyiak and Thomas are passionate, and step up when needed. And if any of our coaches were hot heads Talafous should get the nod.
                        Last edited by AKSWF; 01-28-2017, 01:16 AM.
                        Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

• Originally posted by AKSWF View Post
                          I would not let one outburst define him, then you could classify Shyiak as a hot head. Shyiak and Thomas are passionate, and step up when needed. And if any of our coaches were hot heads Talafous should get the nod.
                          Yell at the ref when you get a bad call, you're a hothead. Stand there with your arms folded and quiet, you have no fire, no passion.

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
                            I recall last season seeing Thomas get into a shouting match with Damon Whitten during Friday postgame handshakes. Thought it may set up for an interesting Saturday, but nothing came of it.
                            Go Lakers!

Check out the Laker Hockey Blog, it's good for you! http://lakerhockeyblog.com

Comment

UAA got bailed out by Tech last night beating UAH and keeping UAA within 4 points. Need it again tonight to realistically have a shot.
                              U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                              Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                              I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                              But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                              Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                              Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by RapidsCity View Post
                                Yell at the ref when you get a bad call, you're a hothead. Stand there with your arms folded and quiet, you have no fire, no passion.
                                Some have in their vision as a perfect coach…….Mr. Rogers

I don’t think he coached a winning sports team. Me on the other hand... I confess

I should of been sent to red card heaven (joining Cookie Reese) for the times i pretended I was a want a bee bench boss. I am sorry as i am guilty in Suze's world.. I have used my outside voice at the zebras , red bands , score board person, Rink Rats , ice resurfacer driver, Rink Manager , opposing players , opposing coaches, ( yes i guess i deserved the coke tossed my way by the other bench). I have sent players start a tilly and drop some jibbs. I wanted a line brawl but some just had their nails done. Watched plenty of gong show games on the bench. And yes I yelled at my players but no I didn’t scream.
                                Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
                                UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

Working...
                                X