This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UAA `16-17 Let's end this thing with a BANG

What is Alaska's unfunded pension liability? You have to get that down to a reasonable number.

What about other fixed costs? labor, utilities, materials? transfer payments???

Not all of the loose change can go to fund athletics. In fact, I'm guessing UA athletics is pretty low in the pecking order.

Sucks.
    Last edited by joecct; 08-31-2016, 05:43 AM.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
      What is Alaska's unfunded pension liability? You have to get that down to a reasonable number.

What about other fixed costs? labor, utilities, materials? transfer payments???

Not all of the loose change can go to fund athletics. In fact, I'm guessing UA athletics is pretty low in the pecking order.

Sucks.
      One of the things that is killing the program is the high cost of renting out the Sullivan Arena. I was told it costs $24,000 to rent it for a series. If UAA hockey goes away, that is a huge revenue loss for the city - the alumni association and the University should put pressure on getting those fees reduced, IMO. I believe Fairbanks pays a similar amount to rent the Carlson.

And yes, athletics is only 3% of the budget.
      Originally Posted by aparch
      I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
        One of the things that is killing the program is the high cost of renting out the Sullivan Arena. I was told it costs $24,000 to rent it for a series. If UAA hockey goes away, that is a huge revenue loss for the city - the alumni association and the University should put pressure on getting those fees reduced, IMO. I believe Fairbanks pays a similar amount to rent the Carlson.

And yes, athletics is only 3% of the budget.
        Of course the check of 15 plus grand we hand over to each visiting team in the league is not going away . ......it's going up if we are still around.
        Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
        UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

Coach Thomas said that the rent for the Sullivan was $10,000 per game. Josh provided some stats that showed renting the Sully has become much more affordable over the last 15 years. They didn't seem too concerned about the Sully. The plan is to focus on selling out the "upper bowl". If they can do this, they feel the numbers will help support/justify keeping the program. They need to focus on the potential upside the team could offer in revenue, if/when they turn things around. The WCHA's new home playoff format provides the opportunity to get up to three playoff home series...pack the barn and numbers will all work out.

Interesting stat...despite the low revenue numbers over the years, the hockey program reportedly still brings in more revenue than the women's and men's basketball. They put a decent team on the ice that competes, the fans and revenue will bounce back.

Comment

Paying for the visiting teams hotels as well!

Comment

You cannot cover the $1.9M budget with $150 season tickets. Let's say there are currently 1000 season ticket holders and that they paid $400 for their tickets. Then you sell 4000 more season tickets at $150 each. Yes, I know I left about 1000 tickets out of the equation ...

That's $1M in revenue and I haven't taken any costs from that.

If you could possibly cover the budget with revenue then maybe you can stick your tongue out at the budget cutters. Filling the joint every night at a discounted rate ain't gonna do anything to impress anyone when it doesn't make it to $1.9M.

Sorry, I just dont see how this Alumni idea is going to fix anything.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeytownak View Post
                Coach Thomas said that the rent for the Sullivan was $10,000 per game. Josh provided some stats that showed renting the Sully has become much more affordable over the last 15 years. They didn't seem too concerned about the Sully. The plan is to focus on selling out the "upper bowl". If they can do this, they feel the numbers will help support/justify keeping the program. They need to focus on the potential upside the team could offer in revenue, if/when they turn things around. The WCHA's new home playoff format provides the opportunity to get up to three playoff home series...pack the barn and numbers will all work out.

Interesting stat...despite the low revenue numbers over the years, the hockey program reportedly still brings in more revenue than the women's and men's basketball. They put a decent team on the ice that competes, the fans and revenue will bounce back.
                I got the numbers on the cost of the Sully from both Hackett and McDiffet. I believe the high cost of hiring people to run the fancy schmancy scoreboard is included in the $24,000.

What part of the upper bowl are they talking about? We are in the balcony and our tickets are a lot more than 150!
                I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Paying for the visiting teams hotels as well!
                  Yup. The WCHA is killing us.

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Tentatively when will the final decision be made and what year will it impact? Will any decision impact next season 2017 / 2018? NCAA schedules may potentially be affected and i would think lead time would be required as it impacts the entire conference in some way. Maybe it will take even longer depending on how everything plays out, but i would suspect 2017 / 2018 would be the earliest with 2018 / 2019 more likely. Thoughts?

Comment

Well, I am glad that the muni is helping this situation with only charging 10K a night for the Sully instead of 24K. I wish those with deep pockets (maybe some Alaska NHL players) could get together to help save the programs. Now the AZ State is not joining the NCHC, it would be fun to watch UAA play AZ State on a WCHA playing field (Assuming they join the WCHA).

Comment

Kamal has been on staff. You've never seen him at the Sully carrying around his laptop?
                        Yes I've seen him, thought he was just running stats and video for the team.
                        Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

the plan is not an alumni idea...stats/proposed budget was researched and delivered by Coach Thomas and Ciocco. It's not about creating a profit immediately, it's about closing the gap and justifying why they should stick around. Alumni were used to get the word out. They've proposed a 1.4M budget to help close the gap.

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
                          You cannot cover the $1.9M budget with $150 season tickets. Let's say there are currently 1000 season ticket holders and that they paid $400 for their tickets. Then you sell 4000 more season tickets at $150 each. Yes, I know I left about 1000 tickets out of the equation ...

That's $1M in revenue and I haven't taken any costs from that.

If you could possibly cover the budget with revenue then maybe you can stick your tongue out at the budget cutters. Filling the joint every night at a discounted rate ain't gonna do anything to impress anyone when it doesn't make it to $1.9M.

Sorry, I just dont see how this Alumni idea is going to fix anything.

Comment

There's a reason why the MOA contract is one of the most profitable contracts SMG has in the nation!

Originally posted by Wolfman View Post
                            Well, I am glad that the muni is helping this situation with only charging 10K a night for the Sully instead of 24K. I wish those with deep pockets (maybe some Alaska NHL players) could get together to help save the programs. Now the AZ State is not joining the NCHC, it would be fun to watch UAA play AZ State on a WCHA playing field (Assuming they join the WCHA).

Comment

They put a decent team on the ice that competes, the fans and revenue will bounce back.
                              UAA home attendance:
                              12-13 2729 4-25-7, 2-20-6
                              13-14 2526 18–16–4, 12–12–4
                              14-15 2091 8–22–4, 5–21–2
                              15-16 1763 11–20–3, 8–18–2

One can only help. The numbers from 13-14 to 14-15 are really depressing.
                              Last edited by AKSWF; 08-31-2016, 07:09 PM. Reason: 6
                              Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

My initial understanding was the entire upper level will be general admission....but looking at the seating chart on the website http://www.goseawolves.com/ViewArtic...CLID=204960305 , it appears that the lower section of 212 will be $275/assigned seats.

I got the numbers on the cost of the Sully from both Hackett and McDiffet. I believe the high cost of hiring people to run the fancy schmancy scoreboard is included in the $24,000.

What part of the upper bowl are they talking about? We are in the balcony and our tickets are a lot more than 150!

Comment

Working...
                                X