This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Seawolf Fan View Post
    Feel free to ask the coach however the way it has been explained to me is he does not just want the puck fired on the net. He only wants his players to take "quality" shots.
    Not sure how he feels this is working out for him.
    Can't score if you don't shoot.
    “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

• Originally posted by AKSWF View Post
      Early in this season but if wins go below his last season total, I want him out. In retrospect we gave Shyiak two extra years, wins were up but attendance was ever spiraling down. Offense, possession, puck control, and passing I've seen better from mite teams. Defense has been flat footed, sticks up their ***, etc. Mantha has been trying. Frustrating to see our team regress into the teams from the oldWCHA, and yet somehow even worse statistically. With our future still uncertain 5/10 years down the road, we need to start winning and getting more butts in the seats, we literally cannot afford another sub-bar effort.

Still hoping we could snag Davis Payne, TJ Jindra might be enticed to be a head coach, is Dennis Sorenson still coaching? The ultimate wet dream team would be Joey Crabb, Justin Johnson, Kevin Reiter, and Curtis Glencross. Just think of the teams they would put on the ice.
      I don't think UAA (or UAF, if Dallas ever leaves) can afford to open the checkbook for a proven commodity with all these budget issues swirling.

If I was emperor at UAA, with what Thomas is getting paid, I'd go get a young UAA alum with an interest in coaching, and pay him about half to 2/3 what Thomas is making. The results couldn't be much worse, and your ROI has a better upside. Plus you get a guy who has ties to the school, not somebody making a pit stop enroute to somewhere else.
      “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

Comment

• Re: UAA `16-17 Let's end this thing with a BANG

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
        I don't think UAA (or UAF, if Dallas ever leaves) can afford to open the checkbook for a proven commodity with all these budget issues swirling.

If I was emperor at UAA, with what Thomas is getting paid, I'd go get a young UAA alum with an interest in coaching, and pay him about half to 2/3 what Thomas is making. The results couldn't be much worse, and your ROI has a better upside. Plus you get a guy who has ties to the school, not somebody making a pit stop enroute to somewhere else.
        I would have to agree with this. But fans are fickle. If UAA sweeps at home against Huntsville, all the complaints will be put at bay for a while.
        Originally Posted by aparch
        I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

The sad state of affairs is that they have to wake up to the real world and it is not cheap or fold up shop.

If I was emperor at UAA, with what Thomas is getting paid,
          BOO HOO . .....Just because some Alaska coaches don't get paid by the pound or have a worthless agent . If Butterbean would of hired me

we both would of made money.
          Last edited by Alaska Hockey; 10-30-2016, 10:14 PM.
          Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
          UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

• Originally posted by Suze View Post
            I would have to agree with this. But fans are fickle. If UAA sweeps at home against Huntsville, all the complaints will be put at bay for a while.
            Everyone loved the coach 2 years ago.
            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Originally posted by Suze View Post
              Unfortunately for Matt & his team, there will now be a couple recruiting classes, both at UAA & UAF, with big holes due to the uncertainty in the state. I hope the programs survive, but I wonder what kind of budget cuts will hit the programs and how that will affect recruiting as well. Hope all improves in Alaska. Hope the visit next month to Anchorage will be followed by many more. Wishing you all the best. Looking forward to visiting.
              Last edited by davyd83; 10-30-2016, 08:44 PM.
              "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                Unfortunately for Matt & his team, there will now be a couple recruiting classes, both at UAA & UAF, with big holes due to the uncertainty in the state. I hope the programs survive, but I wonder what kind of budget cuts will hit the programs and how that will affect recruiting as well. Hope all improves in Alaska. Hope the visit next month to Anchorage will be followed by many more. Wishing you all the best. Looking forward to visiting.
                Sad but true. UAA already lost one blue chip local recruit due to the uncertainty, and another may be in the making as well. I hope it all works out, but it will be tough.
                I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

And if hockey does get cut, this will just snowball. Without UAA and UAF hockey, that's got to be a big demotivator for playing youth hockey at all. Ugh.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                    And if hockey does get cut, this will just snowball. Without UAA and UAF hockey, that's got to be a big demotivator for playing youth hockey at all. Ugh.
                    I don't think so. It might have some impact, but not much. Lots of Alaska kids go on to juniors and many play for other D1 and D3 teams.

The Aces only drew 3000 fans for their game tonight. UAA outdrew them - let's hope Woody's negative articles don't keep the fans away this weekend. But for the ones who do show up, the Seawolves HAVE to win.
                    Last edited by Suze; 10-31-2016, 01:32 AM.

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
                      The Aces only drew 3000 fans for their game tonight.
                      But put an exciting brand of hockey on the ice.
                      They shot the puck......and guess what?......it went in the net a few times.......gave some excitement to the game.
                      Pretty sure those 3000 went home happy and will be back again.

Comment

Today the University of Alaska Board of Regents will hold a public call-in session for people to share their perspective on issues facing the university.
                        Call into the session at 866-726-0757 between 4 p.m. and 6 p.m.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                          The only demotivator in youth hockey is a empty checking account.
                          Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
                          UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                            The bottom already fell out on recruiting budget with the conference realignment. That's why both schools went from competitive in Year 1 to last place last year, and probably this year again too. I don't think Thomas is a terrible coach, but they're just so far behind the eight ball in terms of talent that it's almost impossible to make up.
                            Originally posted by dicaslover
                            Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                            Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Seawolf Fan View Post
                              Today the University of Alaska Board of Regents will hold a public call-in session for people to share their perspective on issues facing the university.
                              Call into the session at 866-726-0757 between 4 p.m. and 6 p.m.
                              Will it help even though I am an Alumni out of state but a huge athletics fan?

Comment

• Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
                                The bottom already fell out on recruiting budget with the conference realignment. That's why both schools went from competitive in Year 1 to last place last year, and probably this year again too. I don't think Thomas is a terrible coach, but they're just so far behind the eight ball in terms of talent that it's almost impossible to make up.
                                What in the world does the recruiting budget have to do with conference realignment? The recruiting budget got hacked because of the university budget, not the WCHA. We're all still chasing the same players.

Comment

Working...
                                X