This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UAA `16-17 Let's end this thing with a BANG

It sucks but it's better than it could've been. I think Freiss and Company just took a bullet for the hockey team, remember that donation time.
    U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
    Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
    I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
    But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
    Originally posted by Doyle Woody
    Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

So, what's the likelihood the NCAA approves the waiver? And if they don't, what are the remaining options?
      Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
      66 - 86 - 07
      59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
      59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

It looks like something where they keep the ski teams at both schools but merge them to save money...or something like that...

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
          It sucks but it's better than it could've been. I think Freiss and Company just took a bullet for the hockey team, remember that donation time.
          The track teams haven't even been around that long. They were just an addition to this fantastic Cross-Country teams. At 12:08 got the email, didn't want any teams cut but glad it's not us.

By the Numbers:

http://www.ktuu.com/content/news/LIV...398922021.html
          Last edited by AKSWF; 10-27-2016, 05:11 PM. Reason: links and sh it
          Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by aallenpollreisz View Post
            So, what's the likelihood the NCAA approves the waiver?
            No clue, nothing has quite matched this yet given our mix of DII and DI teams.
            Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

Chris Williams to the Indy Fuel of the ECHL:

https://www.indyfuelhockey.com/fuel-...s-to-blue-line

Comment

• Originally posted by aallenpollreisz View Post
                So, what's the likelihood the NCAA approves the waiver? And if they don't, what are the remaining options?
                My guess is UAF would retain skiing (good luck rebuilding that bridge) to stay at 10, and UAA would drop down to 10 or 11 teams. What makes the most sense in that situation, I think, is for UAA to get rid of track (which makes about as much sense in Alaska as soccer) and keep skiing (also good luck rebuilding that bridge).

Edit: Found the answer in the FAQ's posted online. UAF would remain at 10 and UAA would drop to 10.
                Last edited by Squarebanks; 10-27-2016, 05:46 PM.
                “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

If the waiver is denied, Johnson said UAF would see significant reductions in scholarships to meet the 20% cut mandate, and UAA would be cut to ten teams. But I think there is still pressure to cut bigger $ at UAA and hockey may be gone.

But I would like to know how much do they think they are saving by reducing scholarships. There is a big difference between “the value” of a scholarship vs the “cost savings” of eliminating a scholarship. Only if UAF is at capacity, and a student athlete is taking the seat of an otherwise paying customer, is there much of a cost to a scholarship. Make significant cuts to athletic scholarships and not one professor will lose a job, nor one cafeteria line worker, nor one housing officer, not one book store clerk and certainly not any administrator. Where are the true savings? Since many our folks are on partial scholarships, they’ll need to factor in the lost revenue from the athlete’s share of housing, food, books, etc.
                  Travel, coaching salaries, facility rental, and equipment & supplies are true, and not insignificant costs.

There is no reason our teams should not be at their full NCAA allotment of scholarships. Don’t confuse real life with internal cost allocations.

Comment

Originally posted by mmf View Post
                    If the waiver is denied, Johnson said UAF would see significant reductions in scholarships to meet the 20% cut mandate, and UAA would be cut to ten teams. But I think there is still pressure to cut bigger $ at UAA and hockey may be gone.

But I would like to know how much do they think they are saving by reducing scholarships. There is a big difference between “the value” of a scholarship vs the “cost savings” of eliminating a scholarship. Only if UAF is at capacity, and a student athlete is taking the seat of an otherwise paying customer, is there much of a cost to a scholarship. Make significant cuts to athletic scholarships and not one professor will lose a job, nor one cafeteria line worker, nor one housing officer, not one book store clerk and certainly not any administrator. Where are the true savings? Since many our folks are on partial scholarships, they’ll need to factor in the lost revenue from the athlete’s share of housing, food, books, etc.
                    Travel, coaching salaries, facility rental, and equipment & supplies are true, and not insignificant costs.

There is no reason our teams should not be at their full NCAA allotment of scholarships. Don’t confuse real life with internal cost allocations.
                    When you've got ridiculously high salaries for President (300K/yr) and Chancellors (200K/yr) plus the President's House, Chancellor's House and University House it would seem to me that just cutting Johnsen's position (Bagman for the Legislature) and selling those three properties and you'd recover nearly 2 million dollars. Johnsen keeps his job on the backs of young men and women athletes. Hope that pig can sleep at night ... nah, I don't. I hope his sleep is crap and that he develops some chronic disease as a result. And also, a Tsunami hitting Juneau when the rest of those pigs are in session would be nice.

Comment

Kevin Clark currently is #2 in goals scored in the Swedish Hockey League with 7 in 13 games playing for Brynas IF ... Three are tied at 8 goals ahead of him with teammate Daniel Paille (582 NHL games) being one of them.

He's done very very well in Europe having led the DEL a couple of years and being near the top of the scoring table last year in the Swiss League. Also, his penalty minutes have been pretty low relative to his days at UAA.

Comment

So glad we get to enjoy more seasons of terrible hockey...
                        U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                        Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                        I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                        But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                        Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                          So glad we get to enjoy more seasons of terrible hockey...
                          Pathetic effort. Thomas better start earning his paycheck.
                          Originally Posted by aparch
                          I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

So much for this season.

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
                              Pathetic effort. Thomas better start earning his paycheck.
                              They haven't been competitive against any team; it's looked like men v. boys every week. There's lots of season left ... but this team looks done. Put a fork in them. Also, someone please teach Tad Kozun how to stay on his feet or sharpen his freaking skates. Bring back the Talafous left-wing lock and you'd have more success.

Is it just me or does Matt Anholt skate about 30 mins per game? The guy is a real quality defensive player but going forward he is an absolute nightmare. He cannot control the puck on his stick. Thomas apparently doesn't see it. What did the Renouf's line get tonight? 12 minutes ... 14? Anyway, as a Captain (leadership off the ice), I've got no doubts that Matt Anholt has all the characteristics you'd want but the truth is ... his skills are subpar for a D1 hockey player.

I think every other coach for UAA has had a better winning percentage than Thomas (he's at .392 before this weekend). If you go by that then the guy is the worst coach we've ever had. In his years here I've never gotten past the impression that he doesn't really get the difference in coaching that college kids need from the ECHL.

At least the players looked happy eh? Lots of smiles under their face masks when interacting with their opponents. Glad they're having a good time.

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
                                They haven't been competitive against any team; it's looked like men v. boys every week. There's lots of season left ... but this team looks done. Put a fork in them. Also, someone please teach Tad Kozun how to stay on his feet or sharpen his freaking skates. Bring back the Talafous left-wing lock and you'd have more success.

Is it just me or does Matt Anholt skate about 30 mins per game? The guy is a real quality defensive player but going forward he is an absolute nightmare. He cannot control the puck on his stick. Thomas apparently doesn't see it. What did the Renouf's line get tonight? 12 minutes ... 14? Anyway, as a Captain (leadership off the ice), I've got no doubts that Matt Anholt has all the characteristics you'd want but the truth is ... his skills are subpar for a D1 hockey player.

I think every other coach for UAA has had a better winning percentage than Thomas (he's at .392 before this weekend). If you go by that then the guy is the worst coach we've ever had. In his years here I've never gotten past the impression that he doesn't really get the difference in coaching that college kids need from the ECHL.

At least the players looked happy eh? Lots of smiles under their face masks when interacting with their opponents. Glad they're having a good time.
                                Actually, this team reminds me of the Talafous teams. They can't score so they hope the other team makes a mistake that they can capitalize on. BORING. Not gonna fill the Sully playing like that. It's the same old story as last season. Power play sucks and they are getting outshot 2-1 or worse most games. Come on coaching staff!
                                Last edited by Suze; 10-29-2016, 10:07 PM.
                                Originally Posted by aparch
                                I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Working...
                                X