X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UAA `16-17 Let's end this thing with a BANG

Originally posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
    Supporters of College Athletics in Alaska

Your hard efforts in support of athletics paid off at the Regents meeting in Juneau. The Regents passed a recommendation 11 to 0 with one abstention to find a way to continue funding athletics. This was a huge accomplishment but it needs to be recognized by your letters, emails, phone calls thanking the regents for their support. In addition Governor Bill Walker also supported college athletics. Let us not lose our support and each of you and your friends thank these folks for their support. Perhaps someone can encourage the resources owned by the University as a land grant institution to start earning income from those resources. Just help them find a way to increase funding for the University or how to cut costs maintaining athletics.

Chuck Homan
    Great news!
    Originally Posted by aparch
    I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

https://youtu.be/EBmNtri1GFM?t=2m58s

That link starts at 2:58 where Johnsen begins talking about athletics. He still sounds determined to me to screw with the make-up of the various athletic teams and still mentions reducing the number of teams. That's what I heard anyway ...

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
        https://youtu.be/EBmNtri1GFM?t=2m58s

That link starts at 2:58 where Johnsen begins talking about athletics. He still sounds determined to me to screw with the make-up of the various athletic teams and still mentions reducing the number of teams. That's what I heard anyway ...
        I: cut all sport tournaments (yes even the Shootout), $100 oil is gone possibly forever, sparsely attended anyway

Ib: schedule closest rivals or closest teams available in place of the tournaments, hockey would benefit with more UA_ games (UAA can continue bending over by allowing UA_ to have four home games and we can have the remaining two) or increase to eight games for the Governor's Cup to truly save $$$

II: instead of broadcasting home games for free, go the Hawaii route and make them PPV

III: increase the amount of adult beverages

IV: for hockey, lower the tier prices

There did the job for him.
        Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

• Originally posted by AKSWF View Post
          I: cut all sport tournaments (yes even the Shootout), $100 oil is gone possibly forever, sparsely attended anyway

Ib: schedule closest rivals or closest teams available in place of the tournaments, hockey would benefit with more UA_ games (UAA can continue bending over by allowing UA_ to have four home games and we can have the remaining two) or increase to eight games for the Governor's Cup to truly save $$$

II: instead of broadcasting home games for free, go the Hawaii route and make them PPV

III: increase the amount of adult beverages

IV: for hockey, lower the tier prices

There did the job for him.
          Yes there is really no winners here. While it is true that the BoR does not want to eliminate sports, the Presedent is pursuing either merging teams to not duplicate sports or to get a waiver to go below 10 teams. Either way Hockey will be cut.

Comment

Let's talk hockey, eh?

There's 17 forwards on the roster ...

Guys I think that are locks to be in the lineup every night ...
            Anholt
            Mitchell
            Azurdia
            Kozun
            Renouf
            Renouf

I hope the other six spots are up for battle every night. I want to see rookies get their chances but there are no veterans that I want to see on the bench. That said, I want each and every veteran to earn their ice time.

Who do you think are locks? Which of the sophomores step up this year and establish themselves by scoring some goals?

On the D side ...
            There's 9 guys ... Here's how I rate them ...
            1. Van Allen
            2. Johnson
            3. Brown
            4. Roberts
            5. Trinkberger
            6. Nicholas
            7. Heikkavirta
            8. Marva - Playing in the NAHL (assume is coming for 2nd half)
            9. Anderson

My pairings ... Van Allen/Trinkberger ... Johnson/Roberts ... Brown/Nicholas-Heikkavirta ... Anderson is a practice only guy in my mind at this point.

Comment

Let's talk hockey, eh?

Anholt
              Mitchell
              Azurdia
              Kozun
              Renouf
              Renouf

I hope the other six spots are up for battle every night. I want to see rookies get their chances but there are no veterans that I want to see on the bench. That said, I want each and every veteran to earn their ice time.

Who do you think are locks? Which of the sophomores step up this year and establish themselves by scoring some goals?

On the D side ...
              1. Van Allen
              2. Johnson
              3. Brown
              4. Roberts
              5. Trinkberger
              6. Nicholas
              7. Heikkavirta
              9. Anderson

My pairings ... Van Allen/Trinkberger ... Johnson/Roberts ... Brown/Nicholas-Heikkavirta ... Anderson is a practice only guy in my mind at this point.

Trinkberger is intriguing. I got to see him several times last year in Sioux City, and he has potential. Like most big, physical guys, the skating needs some work, and he's yet to really show an offensive side, but uses his strength without crossing the line. I like to root for former Musketeers, and hoping for the best for him.

Comment

Let's talk hockey, eh?

Anholt
                Mitchell
                Azurdia
                Kozun
                Renouf
                Renouf

On the D side ...
                1. Van Allen
                2. Johnson
                3. Brown
                4. Roberts
                5. Trinkberger
                6. Nicholas
                7. Heikkavirta
                9. Anderson

Channel 2 news did a story on the team last night. I guess a lot of the guys came back to Alaska 2 months early to bond and work out together. That's a good sign! Can't wait till tomorrow night, and glad I don't have to drive 50 miles to go to a game!
                I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Lines: https://***********/UAAHockey/status/782003566194008064

Only surprise is Van Allen and Roberts being paired, and Rasmus starting in goal. Pre-season though.
                  Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

• Originally posted by AKSWF View Post
                    Lines: https://***********/UAAHockey/status/782003566194008064

Only surprise is Van Allen and Roberts being paired, and Rasmus starting in goal. Pre-season though.
                    Well that was fun! A 6-1 win for the Seawolves. Don't know how many the MTA Events Center holds but it was packed. It was good to touch base with all my hockey pals!

I was impressed with the twins, they are going to be fun to watch this season. They have the uncanny ability to know where each other is on the ice. I also liked what I saw from Ainali and Renwick. Fur sure this seemed to be one of the faster UAA teams.
                    Last edited by Suze; 10-01-2016, 01:03 PM.

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
                      Well that was fun! A 6-1 win for the Seawolves. Don't know how many the MTA Events Center holds but it was packed. It was good to touch base with all my hockey pals!

I was impressed with the twins, they are going to be fun to watch this season. They have the uncanny ability to know where each of them are on the ice. I also liked what I saw from Ainali and Renwick. Fur sure this seemed to be one of the faster UAA teams.
                      Agreed.
                      In addition to the names you mentioned I liked what I saw from all of the first game as a Seawolf players. The guys Coach sat are all locks to starting line positions as far as I can tell. We've got a lot of new guys and I think Matt wanted to see them play and give them the chance to show what they bring in a game environment.
                      The "overtime" 3 on 3 I guess was a practice for the real season situations. The "shoot out" may have been practice for doing it in front of fans not just team mates at the Farg.
                      I hope the kid who took the stick to the head shot is OK.
                      Like to see the Farg packed this evening.
                      It's a great day to be a Seawolf!

Comment

• Originally posted by Seawolf Fan View Post
                        Agreed.
                        In addition to the names you mentioned I liked what I saw from all of the first game as a Seawolf players. The guys Coach sat are all locks to starting line positions as far as I can tell. We've got a lot of new guys and I think Matt wanted to see them play and give them the chance to show what they bring in a game environment.
                        The "overtime" 3 on 3 I guess was a practice for the real season situations. The "shoot out" may have been practice for doing it in front of fans not just team mates at the Farg.
                        I hope the kid who took the stick to the head shot is OK.
                        Like to see the Farg packed this evening.
                        It's a great day to be a Seawolf!
                        According to the ADN article a couple guys are recovering from surgeries. I too hope the SF player is ok, I heard he was having vision issues.

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
                          Don't know how many the MTA Events Center holds but it was packed.
                          Official attendance was 827. Good win against an inferior opponent, confidence should be high going into the games against Minisoda and UA_.

Comment

Originally posted by AKSWF View Post
                            Official attendance was 827. Good win against an inferior opponent, confidence should be high going into the games against Minisoda and UA_.
                            Wow, that is more fans that I guessed. I figured around 600. I think there were about 100 just standing around the rink ... they had small tables and stools arranged around the perimeter of the rink and that was really crowded as well. Let's keep our fingers crossed that fans show up at the Sully this season. I really wonder how many people are going to come to a Sunday game to watch the rodents play our most hated rivals? Maybe folks will come to root against UA_?

If you listened to President Johnson's youtube video, he mentioned that UAA needed to lower their prices for hockey games. I think they are still to expensive for most families. The price for the green section is 23.75 at the door, and $25.75 online. Too high!! Although fans can get in for $10 and most likely sit in other empty seats. Still, the price for tickets for events at the AAC are $8-$10 at the door.
                            Last edited by Suze; 10-02-2016, 02:01 AM.

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Talked with a few of the guys who were out of the lineup last night against SFU. Brad Duwe hopes to play next weekend. Cam Amantea says his shoulder is nearly 100%. Tomi Heikkavirta hopes to be cleared in the next week with his wrist, he says it feels great. Kozun will be eligible to play against UAF....hopefully he doesn't beat up Justin Woods again!

Comment

• Originally posted by DTuttle View Post
                                Talked with a few of the guys who were out of the lineup last night against SFU. Brad Duwe hopes to play next weekend. Cam Amantea says his shoulder is nearly 100%. Tomi Heikkavirta hopes to be cleared in the next week with his wrist, he says it feels great. Kozun will be eligible to play against UAF....hopefully he doesn't beat up Justin Woods again!
                                Good! Thanks for the heads up!

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Working...
                                X