X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UAA `16-17 Let's end this thing with a BANG

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
    These are good words, but the question is this: a no to a complete cut, or a no to any cut at all? I hope that it will all be sorted out by morning.

GFM
    I didn't see anything in writing, but it sounded like regents don't want ANY sports eliminated.
    Originally Posted by aparch
    I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
      if UAA drops UA_ will have a tough uphill battle just to survive as now teams dangle "stipends". .....like Benjamin's on a Fenwick. UAA and UA_ don't even have a cane pole to dangle a dollar from. Players will go where the money is. can't play D-1 with a D-2 mentality.
      This might be the smartest thing you've ever said.
      “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

• Originally posted by Suze View Post
        I didn't see anything in writing, but it sounded like regents don't want ANY sports eliminated.
        Check out Matt Buxton's twitter feed (@FDNMpolitics). Lots of tweets about the athletics discussion today. Sounds like the Regents don't want any sports cut. Lots can still happen but definitely great news.
        “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Is there a news link? I am not seeing anything

Comment

Not sure where the pessimism is from. Regents and Governor both made statements supporting athletics. There's positive developments.
            U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
            Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
            I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
            But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
            Originally posted by Doyle Woody
            Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
              Not sure where the pessimism is from. Regents and Governor both made statements supporting athletics. There's positive developments.
              Ok I read the story in ADN. So, maybe if we can lobby the NCAA to NOT grant the D2 or combo waiver, we just might win! That is a different development! I did not think the BoR would support Athletics, so surprising to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                Nobody wants to cut athletics.
                But is the stated goal of reducing state funding for athletics by 50% of 2016 levels by 2020 still a goal?
                Is the stated goal of eliminating all state funding to athletics by 2025 still a goal?
                Is the plan for athletic programs to take a 10%-15% cut next year and possibly future years still the reality?
                Is it still assumed that all this funding can be made up with corporate sponsorships?
                The vote won’t be to cut sports, but votes supporting the above budget actions will eventually have the same effect. It’s a good sign the BOR outwardly supports athletics, but it is kind of hollow support right now.
                The legislature still controls the Universities system wide purse strings, and the threat of continued cuts still loom.
                The BOR still needs a balanced budget request, but I do not believe we will know our fate anytime soon.

It's kind of obvious why I'm not invited to many parties...

Comment

Originally posted by mmf View Post
                  Nobody wants to cut athletics.
                  But is the stated goal of reducing state funding for athletics by 50% of 2016 levels by 2020 still a goal?
                  Is the stated goal of eliminating all state funding to athletics by 2025 still a goal?
                  Is the plan for athletic programs to take a 10%-15% cut next year and possibly future years still the reality?
                  Is it still assumed that all this funding can be made up with corporate sponsorships?
                  The vote won’t be to cut sports, but votes supporting the above budget actions will eventually have the same effect. It’s a good sign the BOR outwardly supports athletics, but it is kind of hollow support right now.
                  The legislature still controls the Universities system wide purse strings, and the threat of continued cuts still loom.
                  The BOR still needs a balanced budget request, but I do not believe we will know our fate anytime soon.

It's kind of obvious why I'm not invited to many parties...
                  There is no way athletics can support themselves 100%, corporate donors included.
                  Skiing, rifle, track and field, cross country, self supporting? Aint gonna happen.
                  Basketball, volleyball, gymnastics? They have a shot.
                  When the hockey program turns the corner with consecutive winning seasons? Maybe. The league making unrealistic fiscal demands certainly doesn't help.
                  MMF, your inability to elect people of a different bent from the charming and lovely tammie wilsons' of the world certainly doesn't enhance your chances of being invited to many parties.

Comment

Well, I just read the article in the Fairbanks Daily News about the UA BoR accepting Johnsen's proposal for a combined athletics program that would represent the "University of Alaska" system. While that doesn't eliminate sports altogether, it is still not a win for us. UAA will still lose hockey, skiing, and gymnastics. UAF might keep the hockey and rifle teams, but both campus would have to support 5 sports each for Division II between both campuses. If the NCAA approves, it likely means that UAF gets Hockey, Rifle, Swimming, Men's Skiing, and Women's Skiing. UAA would get Men's Basketball, Women's Basketball, Women's Volleyball, Men's Track and Women's Track. All under the University of Alaska moniker which makes Seawolves and Nanooks go away to just "University of Alaska." So, we still lose. It makes it look like a win, because sports is saved.

I am tired of worrying about this. I really don't care anymore...let them jack this up. Yes, I am a UAA Alumni of 1997. But, I am also a Texas State Alumni of 2000. So, I guess I will just stick to following my Texas State football team. just heartbreaking.

I know everyone says, it's not over until it is over. But, the way the University is handling this, it's over. Like MMF and Seawolf Hockey said, no of these options are sustainable in its current form, so no matter what something changes. I am not trying to be a Debbie Downer, just be realistic in expectations that is all.

Comment

Us against the world:

http://www.ktuu.com/content/sports/1...394073851.html
                      Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by AKSWF View Post
                        At least Kevin Wells likes the Seawolves; unlike Doyle Woody.

Comment

Tickets are on sale now for the University of Alaska Anchorage hockey exhibition game against Simon Fraser University, Sept. 30 at the MTA Events Center. The puck is scheduled to drop at 7:07 p.m. in Palmer.

Individual tickets for the game are priced at $12 and can be purchased in Anchorage at the Alaska Airlines Center Terry Homan Box Office, Monday thought Friday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Additionally, the Purple Moose in Palmer is selling tickets or you can contact secretary@palmerhockey.org.

Seating for the event is limited.

http://www.goseawolves.com/ViewArtic...CLID=211173602
                          Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

• Originally posted by AKSWF View Post
                            Tickets are on sale now for the University of Alaska Anchorage hockey exhibition game against Simon Fraser University, Sept. 30 at the MTA Events Center. The puck is scheduled to drop at 7:07 p.m. in Palmer.

Individual tickets for the game are priced at $12 and can be purchased in Anchorage at the Alaska Airlines Center Terry Homan Box Office, Monday thought Friday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Additionally, the Purple Moose in Palmer is selling tickets or you can contact secretary@palmerhockey.org.

Seating for the event is limited.

http://www.goseawolves.com/ViewArtic...CLID=211173602
                            I'm at the Purple Moose right now waiting to get ours. Hope the stands are full! They only take cash and said all the money goes to UAA!! Glad to hear that!
                            Originally Posted by aparch
                            I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
                              They only take cash

Comment

Supporters of College Athletics in Alaska

Your hard efforts in support of athletics paid off at the Regents meeting in Juneau. The Regents passed a recommendation 11 to 0 with one abstention to find a way to continue funding athletics. This was a huge accomplishment but it needs to be recognized by your letters, emails, phone calls thanking the regents for their support. In addition Governor Bill Walker also supported college athletics. Let us not lose our support and each of you and your friends thank these folks for their support. Perhaps someone can encourage the resources owned by the University as a land grant institution to start earning income from those resources. Just help them find a way to increase funding for the University or how to cut costs maintaining athletics.

Chuck Homan
                                Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
                                UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

Working...
                                X