This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
    Guy has given years to your program. Had to go out and raise money just before the season started just so UAF would have a radio broadcast for all games. Would make more money by not having to take time off work to go to Huntsville or Marquette or Mankato. Be very grateful for what you have.
    I am very grateful for Bruce. He is a tremendous supporter of our program and one of those classic college announcers who isn't necessarily the best announcer but has so much character that it's part of what makes college sports great. He reminds me a bit of Dave South at Texas A&M in that regard. Plus the fact that Seawolves can't stand him means he's doing something right.
    “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

• Re: UAA `16-17 Let's end this thing with a BANG

So, is the giant door that slammed in UAAs face tonight and last night for end of season and loss of Governors Cup the BANG that this threads subject was supposed to be about? :-)

Comment

• Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
        I am very grateful for Bruce. He is a tremendous supporter of our program and one of those classic college announcers who isn't necessarily the best announcer but has so much character that it's part of what makes college sports great. He reminds me a bit of Dave South at Texas A&M in that regard. Plus the fact that Seawolves can't stand him means he's doing something right.
        Bruce is a great guy and does a great job. He truly loves the program and yes he'd to get help from outside the University to make it to all of the games this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by UAFIceAngel View Post
          So, is the giant door that slammed in UAAs face tonight and last night for end of season and loss of Governors Cup the BANG that this threads subject was supposed to be about? :-)
          Eh, no need to gloat. On to Mankato.
          “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Originally posted by Hal9K View Post
            Someday Anchorage will hire the correct coach to right this shipwreck.
            *true administration support, playing in that concrete tomb, smart scheduling (should've sent Minny home and save $30-40K and play UA_ six times, but no, for ****s sake both teams are partnered with Alaska Airlines can't be that difficult to have a home and home on short notice), UAA shuttles to and from the game, playing in the Alaska Airlines Center, better rates from SMG, decrease the $27 plush seats, close the upper bowl, wet side, more public events that showcase the players helping out in the community

Fixed it for you. Any coach would have a better shot.
            Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hal9K View Post
              Another painful season put to an end by Fairbanks. Someday Anchorage will hire the correct coach to right this shipwreck.
              Or maybe properly invest in the program? Give that coach the resources he needs to be a consistent success. Since joining the WCHA in the early 90's, no coach has been able to win. They weren't all dummies.

Comment

Originally posted by RapidsCity View Post
                Or maybe properly invest in the program? Give that coach the resources he needs to be a consistent success. Since joining the WCHA in the early 90's, no coach has been able to win. They weren't all dummies.
                And what "resources" are those, resources that UA_ has that UAA does not have? Hackett did a lot to improve the hockey program when he came in. The Farg is remodeled and is a beautiful workout facility for the team. He increased all of the coaches salaries. A big change from the prior AD, when possible, he does not schedule basketball games when there is a hockey game. He has really done a lot for hockey that people will never know about. What more do they need to do? They need to find the RIGHT COACH, and they just have not been able to do that yet. How the heck does FAIRBANKS out recruit us? It has nothing to do with our "resources" vs. their resources. They just have made smarter hiring decisions to their coaching staff. So, what do you suggest?
                Originally Posted by aparch
                I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by AKSWF View Post
                  *true administration support, playing in that concrete tomb, smart scheduling (should've sent Minny home and save $30-40K and play UA_ six times, but no, for ****s sake both teams are partnered with Alaska Airlines can't be that difficult to have a home and home on short notice), UAA shuttles to and from the game, playing in the Alaska Airlines Center, better rates from SMG, decrease the $27 plush seats, close the upper bowl, wet side, more public events that showcase the players helping out in the community

Fixed it for you. Any coach would have a better shot.
                  There is no ice in the AA Center, and Keith Hackett HAD NO PART in that decision. We fans need to get over that and move on. There's nothing that can be done about it now, and *****ing about it will not solve a thing.

One bright spot is I saw numerous Aces fans this weekend, with their Aces jerseys and blue cowbells. I really think the attendance will increase now that they have folded.

For those who have Facebook, you should read Matt Nevalas Facebook post, very encouraging! Let's see if I can copy it here.

Matt Nevala with Robyn Forbes and 10 others at Sullivan Arena.
                  February 24 at 7:14pm · Anchorage ·

We're here. Where are you, devastated Anchorage hockey community? @JaromirBlagr @UAAHockey @NickWalters17 @DallasUAASID @SeawolfCoach https://t.co/sOrOkvwkvj

Here were some of the comments:

They are the same place that they were during the Aces games. At home blaming the owners, who did everything they could to save the team.

On the way!

In the building! I'm reppin!

I was there!

I was there the entire game right to the bitter end!

Horseman was there rocking for the Seawolves....tonight too

We were there and will be there again tonight after watching the Aces game at Pipers.

Yep.. was there with my season ticket. Also gave out a bunch of tickets and got butts in seats on Sat night, too.

Now THAT is encouraging! Hopefully UAA has some great specials on season tickets for next season to sweeten the pot for all the Aces fans who will now become Seawolf fans! AND GET THE GAMES OFF OF LIVE TELEVISION PLEASE!!!
                  Last edited by Suze; 02-26-2017, 11:12 AM.
                  I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
                    There is no ice in the AA Center. We fans need to get over that and move on. There's nothing that can be done about it now, and *****ing about it will not solve a thing.
                    It can be done, it will be a couple million for renovation. The Sully is taking up space, using resources, are they gonna keep the ice up permanently in between games. Why keep a 34 year old building running, when there is a brand new one that can do what the Sully can do, but better.

Keith is doing a helluva job, surprised he is staying on the job for this long, he must really care. While improvements have been made, our program and it's facilities are still behind most of the other WCHA teams. Don't forgot the lingering budget problems, and the loss of a hockey team in the city. The long list of reasons why we are still behind UA_ has been discussed before, and I listed most of them above.
                    Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

• Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                      Bruce is great! I am glad to have someone so dedicated to the program, though at times he may forget that the game is going on until the air horn reminds him.

Comment

Originally posted by AKSWF View Post
                        It can be done, it will be a couple million for renovation. The Sully is taking up space, using resources, are they gonna keep the ice up permanently in between games. Why keep a 34 year old building running, when there is a brand new one that can do what the Sully can do, but better.

Keith is doing a helluva job, surprised he is staying on the job for this long, he must really care. While improvements have been made, our program and it's facilities are still behind most of the other WCHA teams.
                        I'm not saying you are wrong about the renovations, but I clearly recall the arguing that went on between some of the alumni, namely Eric Tuott, and Dr. Cobb, about laying the infrastructure for ice in the Alaska Airlines Center, so that if they wanted to use the arena for hockey at a later date it could be done. I remember reading that if it wasn't done during construction, it couldn't be done. To think it could be done NOW is not very realistic, given the economic state of Alaska. Also, I bet it would cost a whole lot more than 2 million.

If UAA were still in the old WCHA, I would agree that our facilities are behind most of the WCHA schools. But with the nWCHA, I don't see that being the case. Heck, I would take the Sully over several of the arenas in our league. The Carlson being one. Some of them still have bleachers in them! I don't think the Sully is that bad of a barn. And when it's full it's an intimidating place to play. Hopefully we will get the influx of new fans in the next few seasons, with the Aces no longer being around.

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

• Originally posted by Suze View Post
                          I'm not saying you are wrong about the renovations, but I clearly recall the arguing that went on between some of the alumni, namely Eric Tuott, and Dr. Cobb, about laying the infrastructure for ice in the Alaska Airlines Center, so that if they wanted to use the arena for hockey at a later date it could be done. I remember reading that if it wasn't done during construction, it couldn't be done. To think it could be done NOW is not very realistic, given the economic state of Alaska. Also, I bet it would cost a whole lot more than 2 million.

If UAA were still in the old WCHA, I would agree that our facilities are behind most of the WCHA schools. But with the nWCHA, I don't see that being the case. Heck, I would take the Sully over several of the arenas in our league. The Carlson being one. Some of them still have bleachers in them! I don't think the Sully is that bad of a barn. And when it's full it's an intimidating place to play. Hopefully we will get the influx of new fans in the next few seasons, with the Aces no longer being around.
                          I've been to every rink in the league. Sully isn't awful from a fan perspective, but it still would be in the lower half of the league, but when you consider the facilities for the teams to use, it ranks dead last. Sully beats the Carlson Center up top, but down below, it's no contest. How many rinks have you been to in the past few years?

Bemidji is easily the best overal, by a wide margin, then I'd have a group with Mankato, Tech & NMU as the better rinks. Lake State, Bowling Green & Ferris would be middle of the pack and Huntsville and the Alaskas would be at the lower level.
                          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                            I've been to every rink in the league. Sully isn't awful from a fan perspective, but it still would be in the lower half of the league, but when you consider the facilities for the teams to use, it ranks dead last. Sully beats the Carlson Center up top, but down below, it's no contest. How many rinks have you been to in the past few years?

Bemidji is easily the best overal, by a wide margin, then I'd have a group with Mankato, Tech & NMU as the better rinks. Lake State, Bowling Green & Ferris would be middle of the pack and Huntsville and the Alaskas would be at the lower level.
                            What do you mean by "facilities for the teams to use"? Have you been in the remodeled Farg where UAA practices? The Carlson center has plywood floors down below - almost cut myself on the crude metal railings last season. No way ANY part of the Carlson is better than the Sully. Have you been to the Sully since they did the upgrades?
                            Last edited by Suze; 02-26-2017, 06:04 PM.

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

• Originally posted by Suze View Post
                              What do you mean by "facilities for the teams to use"? Have you been in the remodeled Farg where UAA practices? The Carlson center has plywood floors down below - almost cut myself on the crude metal railings last season. No way ANY part of the Carlson is better than the Sully. Have you been to the Sully since they did the upgrades?
                              I was in Sullivan in December. From the upper level to the dressing rooms. As I said, Sully is better than the Carlson center in the fan areas. But both the home and visitors dressing rooms and coaches & training areas (the facilities for teams to use) at the Carlson Center are way above Sullivan. The Farg is immaterial in discussing Sullivan Arena. The games aren't played there

That's no knock on the UAA fans or Anchorage. It's a beautiful city and is one of my favorite towns in the league. The core group of fans is passionate and very knowledgeable. You and your team deserve better..
                              Last edited by davyd83; 02-26-2017, 06:44 PM.
                              "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                                I was in Sullivan in December. From the upper level to the dressing rooms. As I said, Sully is better than the Carlson center in the fan areas. But both the home and visitors dressing rooms and coaches & training areas (the facilities for teams to use) at the Carlson Center are way above Sullivan. The Farg is immaterial in discussing Sullivan Arena. The games aren't played there

That's no knock on the UAA fans or Anchorage. It's a beautiful city and is one of my favorite towns in the league. The core group of fans is passionate and very knowledgeable. You and your team deserve better..
                                Ya, that's why I asked you to elaborate on your wording. I've never been to the bowels of the Sully, so I can't comment. But as far as facilities for the TEAM itself, the remodel of the Farg is pretty amazing, and the players love it. I am talking mainly fan perspective ... and from what I saw on TV of Ferris State, it didn't look very modern, and don't they have bleachers throughout the entire arena? Did look like they have some nice box seating - that is one of the things I wish the Sully had.

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Working...
                                X