Page 46 of 50 FirstFirst ... 363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast

Thread: UAA `16-17 Let's end this thing with a BANG

Quote Originally Posted by Suze View Post
    He has a better record than any of the UAA coaches have had.
    Brush did better, take away his two WCHA seasons and did even better. Kyle is a career sub .500 coach, last five years under .500. You could easily argue his teams have fared worse in his second half at NMU. Certainly worse in the nWCHA. Hiring a coach on the down (and not just with the law), no thank you.

Re: UAA `16-17 Let's end this thing with a BANG

Quote Originally Posted by AKSWF View Post
    Brush did better, take away his two WCHA seasons and did even better. Kyle is a career sub .500 coach, last five years under .500. You could easily argue his teams have fared worse in his second half at NMU. Certainly worse in the nWCHA. Hiring a coach on the down (and not just with the law), no thank you.
    I wasn't advocating for his hire at UAA, BTW.
    Originally Posted by aparch
    I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

I wasn't advocating for his hire at UAA, BTW.
    On mobile, meant to multi post but screwed the pooch.

He'd certainly fit into Alaska. While I don't watch enough of NMU hockey to fully determine if they are dirty or not, I'd want my team to steer away from Kyle. While his "success" is admittedly dreamy, nothing is going to change until the program gets enough money funnled into it. Coaches (all kinds of caliber) have come and gone, and nothing has changed. Again, doing things the same way and expecting different results defines?
    UAA's hockey budget is not as low as you keep insinuating compared to many of the medium sized programs. We had a recruiter who is no longer with UAA tour Europe last year scouting, think of that cost. From what I saw, money spent with zero results. What I see, the alumni have never been able to hire a good coach who is also responsible for his coaching staff. I have seen good talent at UAA for years, just bad coaching!

Quote Originally Posted by USCH1 View Post
    UAA's hockey budget is not as low as you keep insinuating compared to many of the medium sized programs. We had a recruiter who is no longer with UAA tour Europe last year scouting, think of that cost. From what I saw, money spent with zero results. What I see, the alumni have never been able to hire a good coach who is also responsible for his coaching staff. I have seen good talent at UAA for years, just bad coaching!
    The alumni didn't hire Thomas. Many wanted Corbett until the alumni raised a ruckus and convinced the powers that be to reopen the search for a coach. I think the decision to hire Ciocco was a bad decision. Brown was 3-18-1 this season. It will be interesting to see what kind of recruits he gets for them next season. He never had ANY coaching experience prior to coming to UAA.
    Last edited by Suze; 03-16-2017 at 07:02 PM.

Which assistant? Cioccio?
    Last edited by davyd83; 03-12-2017 at 03:59 PM.

I understand that it was McDiffet who made the decision to hire Thomas. Otherwise it would have been Corbett. The alumni are the ones responsible for reopening the search for a coach. I think the decision to hire Ciocco was a bad decision. Brown was 3-18-1 this season. It will be interesting to see what kind of recruits he gets for them next season. He never had ANY coaching experience prior to coming to UAA.
    So if I get this right, an assistant coach who wasn't hired until after this year's recruiting class was completed, and most of next years is done as well is a bad hire because the team has won one less game this year than last?

Quote Originally Posted by RapidsCity View Post
    So if I get this right, an assistant coach who wasn't hired until after this year's recruiting class was completed, and most of next years is done as well is a bad hire because the team has won one less game this year than last?
    I have no clue if it was a bad hire for Brown. It was a bad hire for UAA. With the record Brown has, Josh has his work cut out for him, like at UAA. As I said, it will be interesting to see what kind of recruits he gets for them NEXT SEASON.
    I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Quote Originally Posted by davyd83 View Post
    Which assistant? Cioccio?
    Yes.

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

It was a bad hire for UAA. With the record Brown has, Josh has his work cut out for him, like at UAA. As I said, it will be interesting to see what kind of recruits he gets for them NEXT SEASON.
    Show me some reasons why it was, and who hired Ege and Mantha?
    Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
    UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
    Show me some reasons why it was, and who hired Ege and Mantha?
    Don't forget Mitchell, Brown, and the smalls who when given space and time are dangerous. The Renouf's, Jackstadt, and Leudtke have all impressed me at times.

Don't forget Mitchell, Brown, and the smalls who when given space and time are dangerous. The Renouf's, Jackstadt, and Leudtke have all impressed me at times.
    True, but he isn't personally responsible for all of those players coming to UAA, from what I was told. We need one or two pure goal scorers like Matt Bailey. Jackstadt works his tail off every game. I didn't think he was D1 material his rookie season, but he has proven to be one. Maybe my expectations were too high, but considering what prolific scorers the twins were in juniors, I was disappointed in them.
    Last edited by Suze; 03-12-2017 at 08:29 PM.

True, but he isn't personally responsible for all of those players coming to UAA, from what I was told. We need one or two pure goal scorers like Matt Bailey. Jackstadt works his tail off every game. I didn't think he was D1 material his rookie season, but he has proven to be one. Maybe my expectations were too high, but considering what prolific scorers the twins were in juniors, I was disappointed in them.
    USHL College Commitments everybody on list committed,saw nobody going to UAA, UAH, or the flagship UAC. we all be last ups.
    UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Mitchell was smart to leave, Brown is getting better and starting to play well, Jackstadt works his tail off, the other three you mention not to impressive for the amount of ice time they were given.

Mitchell was smart to leave, Brown is getting better and starting to play well, Jackstadt works his tail off, the other three you mention not to impressive for the amount of ice time they were given.
    Hence the last two words of my post, at times.
    “At the end of the day, the Gov Cup is just a trophy,” UAA senior Jordan Kwas said. “I’d rather be in the Final Five every time over winning the Gov Cup.”

Matt Thomas' Record
    (2013-14) 18-16-4
    (2014-15) 8-22-4
    (2015-16) 11-20-3
    (2016-17) 7-21-6
    (Total) 44-79-17

2016-17 Word(s) of the Season: Medicore coaching for 24 years due to administration

Hence the last two words of my post, at times.
    And that was the problem with this team, no consistency. They beat the top teams and don't beat the bottom teams. There is NO excuse for our power play being LAST in the nation for three STRAIGHT years.

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

And that was the problem with this team, no consistency. They beat the top teams and don't beat the bottom teams. There is NO excuse for our power play being LAST in the nation for three STRAIGHT years.
    You said it, NO EXCUSE! The bottom line is we have a COACHING ISSUE. Recruiting will even be more of a problem with this coach. Players look at his record and know he is on the hot seat.

You said it, NO EXCUSE! The bottom line is we have a COACHING ISSUE. Recruiting will even be more of a problem with this coach. Players look at his record and know he is on the hot seat.
    we have a nothing to offer a recruit that is almost always better and more of it in 59 other teams.

they fight for every nobody or early signing is how they have to do business . I remember a old saying that went sorta

..A UAA player is a player that was overlooked and never gave a sniff by every other coach so show that coach what he missed.
    Last edited by Alaska Hockey; 03-13-2017 at 08:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
    we have a nothing to offer a recruit that is almost always better and more of it in 59 other teams.

they fight for every nobody or early signing is how they have to do business . I remember a old saying that went sorta

..A UAA player is a player that was overlooked and never gave a sniff by every other coach so show that coach what he missed.
    Oh come on - that statement is a joke. I guess you better start perusing the other schools threads here on USCHO ... like the one the Brown fans are arguing on right now. Sheesh. Many UAA players, currently and in years past, had several offers other than UAA, but still chose UAA. Are they going to get the cream of the crop, the players that North Dakota and Minnesota are going after? Of course not.

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Same problem with Shyiak, same with Hill, Talafous, and Brush. Need I continue? Our problems are not going to be solved until an upgrade to everything except the Wells Fargo locker room/lounge/film study room/locker room. MTU got good, because they spent money everywhere, UA_ does better with better overall facilities and a coach who can win (plus Parayko/Johnson playing in the show).

Can't win in DI with DII spending and mentality from the "higher ups".

Thread Information