This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AKSWF View Post
    I've brought my friends to games over the years, and let me just say that is no easy feat seeing how nearly everybody knows the hockey teams losses a lot. The only person I've gotten to go more than once was my gf, a dead atmosphere, losing team, the growing amount of ice on the roads during winter, a much older audience are all contributing factors of why us youngins don't have UAA hockey high on the list of things to do Friday/Saturday nights. All that aside, me and my gf still attend most home games.

I have been voicing my concern, over on twitter to no avail.

I made a doodle pool seeing the public's interest in donating money to save hockey. I have shared it on here, twitter, the email of UAA hockey fans, ADN, etc.

8 responses, two of which are from me and gf are well you know. Interestingly enough, Tuttle was the first person to respond. Here's the link: http://doodle.com/poll/9p3udwkszmxf5d89
    It's honestly been an uphill battle for a decade plus. The team started losing, community involvement went to near zero levels, and the atmosphere got really really boring. Those three factors caused an entire generation to skip out on UAA hockey and the program essentially became a joke in the minds of most people in Anchorage. I don't how one combats that, even going on some miracle winning streak I'd doubt people would come running back.
    U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
    Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
    I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
    But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
    Originally posted by Doyle Woody
    Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Re: UAA `16-17 Let's end this thing with a BANG

Thomas was pretty clear...if anyone wants to help...buy season tickets. Bought three today! Donations are not included in revenue reporting and does no good when it comes to bean counting. Buying tickets and donating them back to the program to distribute to the community will help out more than direct donations at this point.

I made a doodle pool seeing the public's interest in donating money to save hockey. I have shared it on here, twitter, the email of UAA hockey fans, ADN, etc.

8 responses, two of which are from me and gf are well you know. Interestingly enough, Tuttle was the first person to respond. Here's the link: http://doodle.com/poll/9p3udwkszmxf5d89

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
        The measures taken by alumni and supporters for UAH Hockey and UAB football. Those, along with a new hockey friendly President at UAH and a President in the midst of a PR nightmare at UAB. I'm sure fans in Fairbanks and Anchorage are working their legislators and potential donors. Keep your voices heard, loudly & often. Hopefully at least one, if not both, programs can continue and have the resources needed to be successful.
        For starters......... How about don't take the 15+ g check... Like that would ever happen.
        Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
        UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
          When we were in peril, what saved us was our hockey alumni working with our giving alumni to really increase the donations. That's the only thing that saved us —*not the Save UAH Hockey song-and-dance that they had me doing over on the side to drive publicity. I sure hope that the money is there for you.

GFM
          My point was I am doing something.
          Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Seawolf Fan View Post
            Didn't see Hackett or any of his minions there last night.
            What a surprise.
            Maybe I didn't look hard enough.
            Did you see Scotty Gomez there? There is an article in the ADN about his retirement. I found this paragraph interesting:

Gomez again told Thompson to change tactics, so Thompson did. After the game, Gomez explained to Thompson that the rookie's initial tactic might work against Gomez, but it likely wouldn't against Gomez's teammates who were exceptional at face-offs. "Yeah, he was on the other team,'' Gomez says now. "He's still from my hometown. We always look out for one another.''

He still does that, whether it's jumping on the ice at a youth clinic, quietly taking care of a bar or restaurant tab, dropping in on a meeting of UAA hockey supporters or saving girls high school hockey in Anchorage through the Scotty Gomez Foundation, which his father runs.
            I wonder if the foundation would be interested in helping UAA?
            Originally Posted by aparch
            I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

I am going to buy season tickets and donate back to program.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfman View Post
                I am going to buy season tickets and donate back to program.
                That's very generous of you!
                I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

My point was I am doing something.
                  And I'm really happy that you are and that other people will be with you.

GFM
                  Geof F. Morris
                  UAH BSE MAE 2002
                  UAHHockey.com

Comment

Here's my feedback to the gutless Pres and Regents ...

It's typical and pitiful that the UA President and Regents lack the cajones to stand up to the state legislature and demand that they access the 54 Billion dollars available to them to maintain an already minimum amount of funding to their university system. There isn't another state in the USA who so poorly funds their post-secondary education system. Every single state exceeds Alaska in it's support of intercollegiate athletics. You want to do something positive? Then stand up to the legislature. Tell them NO in no uncertain terms. The Permanent Fund was created for EXACTLY THIS PURPOSE. For decades the University of Alaska system leadership have been nothing but bag-men for the legislators. Anything Juneau asked or demanded from you people was what they got. Aren't you grown adult men and women just tired of rolling over at their whim? It's more than pathetic. There's no doubt in my mind that consideration to standing up to the legislature and saying no won't be given ANY consideration. You should all be ashamed of yourselves for your past inactions and for what will certainly be you kowtowing in this case. Sickening.

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
                      Here's my feedback to the gutless Pres and Regents ...
                      The problem is, as previously stated, that money can't be touched without voter approval. I do agree they are not fighting for UA.

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeytownak View Post
                        I attended the UAA Alumni Meeting at 49th State Brew Co.....take away message; They need to increase revenue or hockey is doomed. The best way anyone can help is to buy season tickets...when you buy $10 tickets at the door, it only results in $4 revenue for the hockey program. Almost all of the season tickets revenue go directly toward the hockey bottomline...makes the bean counters happy! Alumni donations to the program do not count as revenue. If you want to help out/donate, call up Chris and buy season tickets in the upper bowl. Yes...they are opening the upper bowl and selling season tickets for $150. That's less than $10/game. They are in the process of figuring out how to distribute dontated season tickets to select groups in the community.

My response to this entire fiasco...with three kids--16, 14 and 9 all of which have contributed annually to the UA College Savings Plan since birth, we have over $30,000 currently invested in UA College Savings 529 Plan. If UA continues to devalue college athletics, our investments will certainly be reallocated to another state's 529 plan. Just as you politician's have choices, we also have choices and will choose to attend college in a state that values and funds education and athletics. We have 50 billion in the bank, everyone crying that we are broke, and those Juneau bozo's refuse to come up with alternative revenue source... UAA athletics is currently 3% of the overall budget. Nationwide, athletics averages 6% of a universities budget. Yet, we are demanding more cost cutting and eventually want the athletic programs to be 100% self-funded. We will soon have the two largest community colleges in the United States.
                        Chris called me today and offered two extra season tickets next to us, since we already paid twice what they are selling the balcony tickets for. We plan on giving them to some long time boosters who have fallen on hard times, no fault of their own.

I posted the link to the discount season tickets on Facebook and Twitter. Would you all please do the same? I don't know how UAA is getting the word out on this.
                        Last edited by Suze; 09-04-2016, 11:47 AM.

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Yes, let's just hand this over to the future soccer team:

https://***********/UAAHockey/status/771860230674067458
                          Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

Yes, let's just hand this over to the future soccer team:

https://***********/UAAHockey/status/771860230674067458
                            I totally didn't get the rationale of tweeting etc of that? They rolled this out last year nicely ... and now here in the midst of all this they promote that again? Whoever ok'd that made a mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
                              I totally didn't get the rationale of tweeting etc of that? They rolled this out last year nicely ... and now here in the midst of all this they promote that again? Whoever ok'd that made a mistake.
                              Probably trying to put a positive spin on a less than positive situation.

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

FYI...Here's an email sent out to all Alaska residentst that are members of USA Hockey:

Hello Alaska Hockey Participant:

In the event that you haven't heard, the collegiate hockey programs in Alaska - UAA & UAF - are potentially being eliminated. The University of Alaska is determining what athletics might stay or go. To learn more about this, please download their report and proposed options for Intercollegiate Athletics at the following link:

https://www.alaska.edu/pathways/revi...ate-athletics/

and do not hesitate leave your comments in the area provided!!

As hard as it is to wrap your mind around no collegiate hockey in Alaska, it is a distinct reality, and we as the Alaska hockey community need to do our part to ensure that not only are our voices heard, but we take action.

Tomorrow, University of Alaska President Jim Johnsen is having a community forum to discuss the options presented in the report for Intercollegiate Athletics. This meeting will take place at the Student Union Cafeteria on UAA (near the bookstore) from 12:30 to 2:00 pm. All who can make this meeting are encouraged to be there and use their voices.

Secondly, we need to take action by filling up the seats in the Sullivan Arena. Attached is a flier for General Admission season tickets. At $150 per person, you will get in to all 16 home games. That is less then $10 a ticket. Additionally, by purchasing season tickets, the hockey program gets the greatest monetary support. Purchasing individual game tickets at the door of the Sullivan Arena yields the hockey program very darn little financially.

The best way to get your general admission season tickets is by stopping into the Alaska Airlines Center at the Terry Ann Homan Box Office. It is open Monday through Friday, 10 am to 4 pm. Quick and fast and you will have your season tickets in your hand when you leave. If you are okay with picking up your season tickets at the first Seawolf game, you can also give the attached form and a check (payable to Spectra LP) to a Seawolf Hockey Alum to drop off for you or you can go to www.alaskaairlinescenter.com for tickets (there will be an online processing fee with this option). You can purchase more than general admission seats, as well as parking passes, booster room passes, etc. but really, the General Admissions option is the best deal and way to fill up the Sully!

Why am I passionate about collegiate hockey in Alaska. Great young men come to our state to play the game they love, and in turn, fall in love with our state and become vital community members. Teachers, doctors, lawyers, business people who help make our communities better. As USA Hockey's Alaska Associate Registrar, what stands out is the ever present influence of UAA/UAF hockey alumni actively coaching in Alaska's youth hockey programs. Throughout our state. . . you want a UAA/UAF player to help out with a team, just ask and they are there to help. Without the college hockey environment, our youth hockey programs may suffer and we can not let that happen.

Please, attend UAA's on campus meeting tomorrow, September 7th, 12:30 to 2:00 pm at UAA's Student Union Cafeteria. Then purchase your season tickets, helping to fill the seats in the Sully and financially supporting the UAA Hockey Program. And pass the message on to your contacts, friends and family.

Stand Up & Howl,

Lisa McPheters
                                Associate Registrar - Alaska
                                Pacific District | USA Hockey
                                akregistrar@live.com

Comment

Working...
                                X