X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UAA `16-17 Let's end this thing with a BANG

Originally posted by USCH1 View Post
    Mitchell was smart to leave, Brown is getting better and starting to play well, Jackstadt works his tail off, the other three you mention not to impressive for the amount of ice time they were given.
    Hence the last two words of my post, at times.
    Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by AKSWF View Post
      Hence the last two words of my post, at times.
      And that was the problem with this team, no consistency. They beat the top teams and don't beat the bottom teams. There is NO excuse for our power play being LAST in the nation for three STRAIGHT years.
      Originally Posted by aparch
      I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
        And that was the problem with this team, no consistency. They beat the top teams and don't beat the bottom teams. There is NO excuse for our power play being LAST in the nation for three STRAIGHT years.
        You said it, NO EXCUSE! The bottom line is we have a COACHING ISSUE. Recruiting will even be more of a problem with this coach. Players look at his record and know he is on the hot seat.

Comment

You said it, NO EXCUSE! The bottom line is we have a COACHING ISSUE. Recruiting will even be more of a problem with this coach. Players look at his record and know he is on the hot seat.
          we have a nothing to offer a recruit that is almost always better and more of it in 59 other teams.

they fight for every nobody or early signing is how they have to do business . I remember a old saying that went sorta

..A UAA player is a player that was overlooked and never gave a sniff by every other coach so show that coach what he missed.
          Last edited by Alaska Hockey; 03-13-2017, 08:12 PM.
          Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
          UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

Originally posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
            we have a nothing to offer a recruit that is almost always better and more of it in 59 other teams.

they fight for every nobody or early signing is how they have to do business . I remember a old saying that went sorta

..A UAA player is a player that was overlooked and never gave a sniff by every other coach so show that coach what he missed.
            Oh come on - that statement is a joke. I guess you better start perusing the other schools threads here on USCHO ... like the one the Brown fans are arguing on right now. Sheesh. Many UAA players, currently and in years past, had several offers other than UAA, but still chose UAA. Are they going to get the cream of the crop, the players that North Dakota and Minnesota are going after? Of course not.
            Originally Posted by aparch
            I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

• Originally posted by Suze View Post
              Same problem with Shyiak, same with Hill, Talafous, and Brush. Need I continue? Our problems are not going to be solved until an upgrade to everything except the Wells Fargo locker room/lounge/film study room/locker room. MTU got good, because they spent money everywhere, UA_ does better with better overall facilities and a coach who can win (plus Parayko/Johnson playing in the show).

Can't win in DI with DII spending and mentality from the "higher ups".
              Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

• Originally posted by USCH1 View Post
                We have a no faith being shown in us from administration problem. And that trickles down to literally everything, Herb Brooks would take years to put a winning team together here.

Not to mention the budget issue, playing in a concrete tombstone who we can't even fill 1/3 of it, though Thomas is one of two head coaches to ever have a winning record at UAA in a season, Thomas also had a player he helped recruit get a two-way deal. Everything is not negative.

Comment

• Originally posted by Suze View Post
                  Oh come on - that statement is a joke. I guess you better start perusing the other schools threads here on USCHO ... like the one the Brown fans are arguing on right now. Sheesh. Many UAA players, currently and in years past, had several offers other than UAA, but still chose UAA. Are they going to get the cream of the crop, the players that North Dakota and Minnesota are going after? Of course not.
                  And how many of those players had UAA at the top of there list? Or in there top three for that matter. I'm sure there is a good number of players who choose here for the ample ice time available.

Comment

• Originally posted by AKSWF View Post
                    Can't win in DI with DII spending and mentality from the "higher ups".
                    Have to disagree. UAA spends more money on overall athletics than any school in the WCHA except Bowling Green (and BG is D1 across the board). That was as of a year ago so it might be slightly different today, but basically UAA, BG, Mankato, and Tech throw the most money at athletics by a long shot. NMU is kind of in-between, then Bemidji, UAF, and UAH are all clustered together. And Lake Superior is way below everybody else.

Everybody can argue until they're green in the face about what ails UAA hockey, but money isn't the issue. Yet.
                    “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                      Have to disagree. UAA spends more money on overall athletics than any school in the WCHA except Bowling Green (and BG is D1 across the board). That was as of a year ago so it might be slightly different today, but basically UAA, BG, Mankato, and Tech throw the most money at athletics by a long shot. NMU is kind of in-between, then Bemidji, UAF, and UAH are all clustered together. And Lake Superior is way below everybody else.
                      Everybody can argue until they're green in the face about what ails UAA hockey, but money isn't the issue. Yet.
                      Curious does that include travel as I would think that is a larger part of your budget than many?

Comment

Originally posted by AKSWF View Post
                        We have a no faith being shown in us from administration problem. And that trickles down to literally everything, Herb Brooks would take years to put a winning team together here.

Not to mention the budget issue, playing in a concrete tombstone who we can't even fill 1/3 of it, though Thomas is one of two head coaches to ever have a winning record at UAA in a season, Thomas also had a player he helped recruit get a two-way deal. Everything is not negative.
                        That two way deal had nothing to do with this coach. Also, his winning season was with a whole team of Shyiak and Blair's recruits.

Comment

How big a stipend are the players getting?
                          Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
                          UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

• Originally posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
                            No stipend, but UAA spends more on scholarships per athlete (about $3 million for 169 student athletes for a hair under $18k per athlete on average) than any other WCHA school.
                            “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

Comment

Okay enlighten us then. Tuition went up to help pay for the new Engineering building, and the Alaska Airlines Center.

BTW, UAA has recently spent a lot of money on renovations to the Commons (housing cafeteria), the first floors of the dorms (kitchens!), and fancy holiday (chirstmas lights strung up on wood) esque lighting all over the housing side of campus. And there complaining of budget cuts, if only there was a law/rule where you could transfer funds in financially tight times. Rumor has it, they built the Conoco Phillips Intergrated Science Building without securing the funds to actually run the building after it was completed. Also, the top floor of the new Engineering building doesn't have the heat turned on, because hot air rises and that should be good enough. Installed "smart" toilets in the Engineering building that flush randomly and frequently all by themselves. The slow excess draining of water and electricity is brilliant for our budget.

While we may be spending a lot, it certainly is to offset costs by the pinheads in charge.

Originally posted by giwan View Post
                              Curious does that include travel as I would think that is a larger part of your budget than many?
                              It certainly should, even being partnered with Alaska Airlines.

That two way deal had nothing to do with this coach. Also, his winning season was with a whole team of Shyiak and Blair's recruits.
                              I forgot Mitchell just chose when it was his turn to get on the ice, what situations, who is linemates were, why he was recruited to play DI. If Thomas was as bad as you think he was, he woulda buried Mitchell like Shyiak did with Selby. Just to keep him here longer.

Originally posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
                              None. Will be none for a long time.

No stipend, but UAA spends more on scholarships per athlete (about $3 million for 169 student athletes for a hair under $18k per athlete on average) than any other WCHA school.
                              Does room and board include meal plans, you used to have to buy meal plans while living on our campus (slightly better than grade school cafeteria slop).

Comment

• Originally posted by AKSWF View Post
                                Okay enlighten us then. Tuition went up to help pay for the new Engineering building, and the Alaska Airlines Center.
                                Not much to enlighten you on, the numbers on athletics are all federal public data. UAA spent almost $13 million on athletics last year. UAF, in case you're wondering, spent about $6 million.

Comment

Working...
                                X