Page 47 of 51 FirstFirst ... 373839404142434445464748495051 LastLast

Thread: UAA `16-17 Let's end this thing with a BANG

Quote Originally Posted by USCH1 View Post
    You said it, NO EXCUSE! The bottom line is we have a COACHING ISSUE. Recruiting will even be more of a problem with this coach. Players look at his record and know he is on the hot seat.
    We have a no faith being shown in us from administration problem. And that trickles down to literally everything, Herb Brooks would take years to put a winning team together here.

Not to mention the budget issue, playing in a concrete tombstone who we can't even fill 1/3 of it, though Thomas is one of two head coaches to ever have a winning record at UAA in a season, Thomas also had a player he helped recruit get a two-way deal. Everything is not negative.

Quote Originally Posted by Suze View Post
    Oh come on - that statement is a joke. I guess you better start perusing the other schools threads here on USCHO ... like the one the Brown fans are arguing on right now. Sheesh. Many UAA players, currently and in years past, had several offers other than UAA, but still chose UAA. Are they going to get the cream of the crop, the players that North Dakota and Minnesota are going after? Of course not.
    And how many of those players had UAA at the top of there list? Or in there top three for that matter. I'm sure there is a good number of players who choose here for the ample ice time available.

Quote Originally Posted by AKSWF View Post
    Can't win in DI with DII spending and mentality from the "higher ups".
    Have to disagree. UAA spends more money on overall athletics than any school in the WCHA except Bowling Green (and BG is D1 across the board). That was as of a year ago so it might be slightly different today, but basically UAA, BG, Mankato, and Tech throw the most money at athletics by a long shot. NMU is kind of in-between, then Bemidji, UAF, and UAH are all clustered together. And Lake Superior is way below everybody else.

Everybody can argue until they're green in the face about what ails UAA hockey, but money isn't the issue. Yet.

Really??!!

Re: UAA `16-17 Let's end this thing with a BANG

Quote Originally Posted by Squarebanks View Post
    Have to disagree. UAA spends more money on overall athletics than any school in the WCHA except Bowling Green (and BG is D1 across the board). That was as of a year ago so it might be slightly different today, but basically UAA, BG, Mankato, and Tech throw the most money at athletics by a long shot. NMU is kind of in-between, then Bemidji, UAF, and UAH are all clustered together. And Lake Superior is way below everybody else.
    Everybody can argue until they're green in the face about what ails UAA hockey, but money isn't the issue. Yet.
    Curious does that include travel as I would think that is a larger part of your budget than many?

We have a no faith being shown in us from administration problem. And that trickles down to literally everything, Herb Brooks would take years to put a winning team together here.

Not to mention the budget issue, playing in a concrete tombstone who we can't even fill 1/3 of it, though Thomas is one of two head coaches to ever have a winning record at UAA in a season, Thomas also had a player he helped recruit get a two-way deal. Everything is not negative.
    That two way deal had nothing to do with this coach. Also, his winning season was with a whole team of Shyiak and Blair's recruits.

How big a stipend are the players getting?
    Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
    UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
    No stipend, but UAA spends more on scholarships per athlete (about $3 million for 169 student athletes for a hair under $18k per athlete on average) than any other WCHA school.

Okay enlighten us then. Tuition went up to help pay for the new Engineering building, and the Alaska Airlines Center.

BTW, UAA has recently spent a lot of money on renovations to the Commons (housing cafeteria), the first floors of the dorms (kitchens!), and fancy holiday (chirstmas lights strung up on wood) esque lighting all over the housing side of campus. And there complaining of budget cuts, if only there was a law/rule where you could transfer funds in financially tight times. Rumor has it, they built the Conoco Phillips Intergrated Science Building without securing the funds to actually run the building after it was completed. Also, the top floor of the new Engineering building doesn't have the heat turned on, because hot air rises and that should be good enough. Installed "smart" toilets in the Engineering building that flush randomly and frequently all by themselves. The slow excess draining of water and electricity is brilliant for our budget.

While we may be spending a lot, it certainly is to offset costs by the pinheads in charge.

Quote Originally Posted by giwan View Post
    Curious does that include travel as I would think that is a larger part of your budget than many?
    It certainly should, even being partnered with Alaska Airlines.

That two way deal had nothing to do with this coach. Also, his winning season was with a whole team of Shyiak and Blair's recruits.
    I forgot Mitchell just chose when it was his turn to get on the ice, what situations, who is linemates were, why he was recruited to play DI. If Thomas was as bad as you think he was, he woulda buried Mitchell like Shyiak did with Selby. Just to keep him here longer.

None. Will be none for a long time.

No stipend, but UAA spends more on scholarships per athlete (about $3 million for 169 student athletes for a hair under $18k per athlete on average) than any other WCHA school.
    Does room and board include meal plans, you used to have to buy meal plans while living on our campus (slightly better than grade school cafeteria slop).
    “At the end of the day, the Gov Cup is just a trophy,” UAA senior Jordan Kwas said. “I’d rather be in the Final Five every time over winning the Gov Cup.”

Matt Thomas' Record
    (2013-14) 18-16-4
    (2014-15) 8-22-4
    (2015-16) 11-20-3
    (2016-17) 7-21-6
    (Total) 44-79-17

2016-17 Word(s) of the Season: Medicore coaching for 24 years due to administration

Okay enlighten us then. Tuition went up to help pay for the new Engineering building, and the Alaska Airlines Center.
    Not much to enlighten you on, the numbers on athletics are all federal public data. UAA spent almost $13 million on athletics last year. UAF, in case you're wondering, spent about $6 million.

Not much to enlighten you on, the numbers on athletics are all federal public data. UAF, in case you're wondering, spent about $6 million.
    With all the ineligible players from failing grades they overspent.
    UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

With all the ineligible players from failing grades they overspent.
    Burn!

BTW, UAA has recently spent a lot of money on renovations to the Commons (housing cafeteria), the first floors of the dorms (kitchens!), and fancy holiday (chirstmas lights strung up on wood) esque lighting all over the housing side of campus. And there complaining of budget cuts, if only there was a law/rule where you could transfer funds in financially tight times. Rumor has it, they built the Conoco Phillips Intergrated Science Building without securing the funds to actually run the building after it was completed. Also, the top floor of the new Engineering building doesn't have the heat turned on, because hot air rises and that should be good enough. Installed "smart" toilets in the Engineering building that flush randomly and frequently all by themselves. The slow excess draining of water and electricity is brilliant for our budget.

While we may be spending a lot, it certainly is to offset costs by the pinheads in charge.

It certainly should, even being partnered with Alaska Airlines.

I forgot Mitchell just chose when it was his turn to get on the ice, what situations, who is linemates were, why he was recruited to play DI. If Thomas was as bad as you think he was, he woulda buried Mitchell like Shyiak did with Selby. Just to keep him here longer.

None. Will be none for a long time.

Does room and board include meal plans, you used to have to buy meal plans while living on our campus (slightly better than grade school cafeteria slop).
    Okay give the coach credit for giving Mitchel the ice time needed to showcase himself. But, as far as the rest of the criteria needed for a successful team, this coach is lacking in that department.

Okay give the coach credit for giving Mitchel the ice time needed to showcase himself. But, as far as the rest of the criteria needed for a successful team, this coach is lacking in that department.
    This is true. But it took him half the season to figure out who to play with Mason, and to put Mitchell on the first line.
    Originally Posted by aparch
    I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

This is true. But it took him half the season to figure out who to play with Mason, and to put Mitchell on the first line.
    Color him gone, who did you find to take his place? I tried, I went over and asked the Kenya kids if their cousins played hockey?

I don't recall him playing very well early on, a better version of Hubbs in the first half.
    “At the end of the day, the Gov Cup is just a trophy,” UAA senior Jordan Kwas said. “I’d rather be in the Final Five every time over winning the Gov Cup.”

Matt Thomas' Record
    (2013-14) 18-16-4
    (2014-15) 8-22-4
    (2015-16) 11-20-3
    (2016-17) 7-21-6
    (Total) 44-79-17

2016-17 Word(s) of the Season: Medicore coaching for 24 years due to administration

Did we have a first line? Seems like lines were shuffled every game.

Did we have a first line? Seems like lines were shuffled every game.
    Injuries, no chemistry.

Two newest UAA recruits:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=176224

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=186701

Looks like they can both put the puck in the net. This was tweeted on the University Alaska Anchorage page.
    https://twitter.com/search?q=univers...orage&src=typd

Sinclair, who committed to UAA earlier, also played on a line with Lavallee, according to this box score:
    http://sjhl.hockeytech.com/stats/game-summary/5148

I hope they have some good chemistry between them! Good job coaching staff! That long trip to Flin Flon paid off.
    Last edited by Suze; 03-16-2017 at 07:34 PM.
    Originally Posted by aparch
    I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Blogger
    That long trip to Flin Flon paid off.
    135 PIMs in 53 games. Looks like ya found the next Dylan Hubbs!

Quote Originally Posted by UAFHockeyFan314 View Post
    135 PIMs in 53 games. Looks like ya found the next Dylan Hubbs!
    Dylan doesn’t hold a candle to UAC’s 2 goons on the league leading and proudly 2nd in nation in penalties. But Hubbs wasn’t a after the whistle slew footing handshake line sucker puncher kind of player either. Does Butterbean get some green for that or just an extra salver of sandwiches as the mission bonus?
    Last edited by Alaska Hockey; 03-17-2017 at 02:06 PM.

Thread Information