Alaska Nanooks: 2016-17 Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
    I don't understand why UAA athletics would be shut down instead of UAF.
    It's cheaper to travel to Anchorage and there's a larger population base to support the programs.
    It's actually cheaper to fly into Fairbanks than it is to Anchorage. At least it is from Detroit.
    Co-Founder/Editor of BGSUHockey.com

Comment

Re: Alaska Nanooks: 2016-17 Season Thread

Originally posted by BGDrew View Post
      It's actually cheaper to fly into Fairbanks than it is to Anchorage. At least it is from Detroit.
      Here is some more news on the situation:

http://www.ktva.com/university-weigh...deep-cuts-349/

Comment

It's cheaper to travel to Anchorage and there's a larger population base to support the programs.
        I found flights to Anchorage from Seattle for $281.00 vs flights to Fairbanks from Seattle at $308.00... that's a $27.00 difference per ticket. So take 27 x 30 a people travel party x 8 non-AK road trips for UAF in 2016-17, and that's only 6,480 increase in travel costs over UAA.

That isn't too big of a number compared to the millions these athletic programs need to operate, overall it doesn't appear that one of these programs is drastically different for a budget standpoint.

Option 1 seems too drastic, it would save the most money but also make the state of Alaska the only US State without college athletics (in addition US territories of Washington DC and Puerto Rico have college athletics) Option 2 is probably the most likely, it seems to be the most cost saving while also the least catastrophic overall. It keeps the current mix of sports but just fewer options with the sport offerings divided between the two universities. Option 3A doesn't seem to make a lot of sense because it adds sports that the two universities both don't currently offer, adding costs to facility procurement as well as travel to-and-from the lower 48. Option 3B stays closer to status quo so that's likely not going to happen unless massive donor support comes up.

Comment

Originally posted by BGDrew View Post
          That's because _airbanks and Detroit have a lot in common. No body wants to go there.
          Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
          UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
            To be frank, I see no reason as to why only Fairbanks would keep hockey in all of this. Costs would be higher, revenue potential is much lower. Community support is good and all but that can erode very quickly.
            If they are serious that UA athletics will receive a 50% cut in state support by 2020 and zero state support by 2025 then they might as well shut it all down now. That’s impossible. I’m not sure GNAC would even allow expansion into other sports if both programs will cease within a couple of years. But to your point, I can see them keeping hockey somewhere for the short term and Fairbanks would probably be an easier place to pull the plug in the not so distant future (see Opt 3b)

Opt 1. I do not see them eliminating all athletics this time around. I could see them discussing eliminating UAF only, but I don’t think they have the balls for that in the initial phase of shutting down athletics.
            Opt 2. The whole concept of a consortium is that a student at either campus could make the varsity squad. Schools are typically very short distances from each other. I do not believe this would get NCAA approval.
            Opt 3a. I can see them forcing both schools to GNAC only sports, which in effect shuts down UAF because the GNAC options are just not viable in Fairbanks. This is a much more politically acceptable method of shutting down UAF only and still cutting costs at UAA. It would just take a little bit longer.
            Opt 3b. I can see them moving UAA to GNAC sports only and leaving UAF status quo for now, and emphasizing the reduced state funding mandates. Fairbanks travel and other costs are higher than Anchorage, but UAF operates a much more bare bones operation than UAA. In a year or two they could say UAF is not meeting agreed upon fund raising efforts and shut us down.

I don't think these are well thought out conspiracies or anything, just how they eventually may play out.
            In the end I can see athletics only at UAA as a member of GNAC (no hockey).
            Last edited by mmf; 08-19-2016, 02:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mmf View Post

I don't think these are well thought out conspiracies or anything, just how they eventually may play out.
              In the end I can see athletics only at UAA as a member of GNAC (no hockey).
              I agree with this. Everything else is just fluff. I think with the constraints UA has been given by the legislature, this is what is going to end up. They have no care in the world about university sports. Even smalls states like Wyoming and Montana care more about their athletics than Alaska. It is very pathetic.

Comment

Not sure I understand your question. They are considering shutting down all sports at both schools, and other options in between.

Or do you mean why don’t they leave UAA alone and just shut down UAF now. The difference in travel costs between Anchorage and Fairbanks is immaterial in the grand scheme of things, and the larger population base stays home.

So they are back to considering all options.

Comment

*potential to support UAA programs, Women's BB has been better than the men for almost a decade and they still barely outdraw them (~2000 in a 5000 seat arena)
                  Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

Doesn't matter if there's a larger population base when they don't show up.
                    “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

I've known this was coming for a while now. My guess is one of the Option 3 variances is what happens but who knows.

To say I'm ashamed of the people who are pushing this (legislators, Johnsen, certain high level UA administrators) would be an understatement. Athletics is not the effing problem, but it can sure be part of the solution. I've already made it abundantly clear that I will pull every penny of my academic donations if they cut athletics at UAF.

The time for public comment is now. Doesn't matter if you're a Nanook or a Seawolf. Fight back or something that we all love dearly is going to cease to exist at the whim of a vocal minority.
                      “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                        I've known this was coming for a while now. My guess is one of the Option 3 variances is what happens but who knows.

To say I'm ashamed of the people who are pushing this (legislators, Johnsen, certain high level UA administrators) would be an understatement. Athletics is not the effing problem, but it can sure be part of the solution. I've already made it abundantly clear that I will pull every penny of my academic donations if they cut athletics at UAF.

The time for public comment is now. Doesn't matter if you're a Nanook or a Seawolf. Fight back or something that we all love dearly is going to cease to exist at the whim of a vocal minority.
                        I wrote to all of the Alaska legislators and one of them asked me to write a letter to the editor of the ADN. Not sure what good that would do.
                        Originally Posted by aparch
                        I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
                          I wrote to all of the Alaska legislators and one of them asked me to write a letter to the editor of the ADN. Not sure what good that would do.
                          Your one letter to a representative is just that. One to the ADN may spur dozens/hundreds more. Politicians like to use the media.

GFM
                          Geof F. Morris
                          UAH BSE MAE 2002
                          UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
                            I've been told one of the best things anyone can do right now is submit comment through the Strategic Pathways website.

Here's a News Miner article that discusses why: Possible loss of big-ticket UA athletics draws comments

http://www.newsminer.com/news/local_news/possible-loss-of-big-ticket-ua-athletics-draws-comments/article_2d6af6cc-6683-11e6-8f71-6730dd436bfb.html

(Sent from NewsMinerApp)

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                              I've been told one of the best things anyone can do right now is submit comment through the Strategic Pathways website.

Here's a News Miner article that discusses why: Possible loss of big-ticket UA athletics draws comments

http://www.newsminer.com/news/local_...0dd436bfb.html

(Sent from NewsMinerApp)
                              Just adding the tags...
                              U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                              Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                              I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                              But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                              Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                              Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                                Just adding the tags...
                                It is absolutely essential that everyone comment on the Strategic Pathways website to help preserve athletics at UAA and UAF.

Comment

Working...
                                X