Alaska Nanooks: 2016-17 Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by UAFIceAngel View Post
    Wasilla had a junior team that didn't last very long. I think the Ice Dogs are doing well, but who knows at this point.
    I know. As I recall their owner had health issues and sold the team.
    “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

• Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
      Didn't know that. Either way I hope this doesn't continue with other teams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
        The owner tried to sell the team when he was diagnosed with cancer, but nobody in Alaska bought it. That organization had financial problems too, I read there was some embezzling of funds when they were at the Menard, and they ended up moving to the MTA Events center in Palmer. The owner got cancer just a year or two after that move.

The team moved to Pennsylvania I believe.
        Originally Posted by aparch
        I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

• Re: Alaska Nanooks: 2016-17 Season Thread

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel View Post
          Didn't know that. Either way I hope this doesn't continue with other teams.
          The dominoes are lined up and started falling, aces falling, brown bears falling, puts bind on Ice dogs just like if UAA falls UAC will also fall may not then but league will push out the door. But we will fully fund 138 villages.
          Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
          UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

• Originally posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
            The dominoes are lined up and started falling, aces falling, brown bears falling, puts bind on Ice dogs just like if UAA falls UAC will also fall may not then but league will push out the door. But we will fully fund 138 villages.
            Everything I've heard is that we will probably get split up again at the next round of realignment.
            “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
              Everything I've heard is that we will probably get split up again at the next round of realignment.
              And play 4 games of non-conference against ACC.

Arizona State is all but in the WCHA now. Notre Dame is going to Big Ten next year. Several Big Ten schools hate the Big Ten. More Big Ten schools potentially coming. More developing interest amongst the Pac-12 schools--Oregon has a big club team, as does Washington, Washington State, UCLA, and USC. Find a 6th team (Colorado?). Bring in UA/ACC/DU/CC on as affiliates and you've got an interesting, geographically aligned 10-team conference with much more inexpensive and shorter travel needs that helps everybody.
              Visit the Alaska Nanooks Hockey Blog at http://nanookhockey.blogspot.com

Comment

• Originally posted by UAFHockeyFan314 View Post

Arizona State is all but in the WCHA now. Notre Dame is going to Big Ten next year. Several Big Ten schools hate the Big Ten. More Big Ten schools potentially coming. More developing interest amongst the Pac-12 schools--Oregon has a big club team, as does Washington, Washington State, UCLA, and USC. Find a 6th team (Colorado?). Bring in UA/ACC/DU/CC on as affiliates and you've got an interesting, geographically aligned 10-team conference with much more inexpensive and shorter travel needs that helps everybody.
                I can't imagine DU splitting up with their spooning buddies in North Dakota.

Also, I've said this before on here, but keep an eye on Oregon. Don't underestimate Nike's influence and money there...they re-started baseball almost solely to thumb their noses at Oregon State after OSU won a couple national titles. They could drum up the money for hockey pretty easily if they wanted to.
                Last edited by Squarebanks; 02-28-2017, 04:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                  I can't imagine DU splitting up with their spooning buddies in North Dakota.

Also, I've said this before on here, but keep an eye on Oregon. Don't underestimate Nike's influence and money there...they re-started baseball almost solely to thumb their noses at Oregon State after OSU won a couple national titles. They could drum up the money for hockey pretty easily if they wanted to.
                  The biggest issue right now is geographic alignment. Huntsville should not play in the west. DU/CC shouldn't have to play in the midwest. With 60 teams, we can have an even 6 conferences with 10 teams each balanced pretty well geographically. You could even wrap Air Force in to my previous sentiment, but they fly their own planes so it may not matter.

Comment

Originally posted by UAFHockeyFan314 View Post

That has been my wet dream, but like Squarebanks said I don't see DU moving "down". Even though they would the shoe in for champion every year, CC on the other hand.
                    Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by AKSWF View Post
                      That has been my wet dream, but like Squarebanks said I don't see DU moving "down". Even though they would the shoe in for champion every year, CC on the other hand.
                      If the NCAA takes some gumption to bring some equity and restore some order to the chaos that's going on now, individual schools may not have a choice. When B1G formed, the CCHA and WCHA should have just merged into a super conference. But alas, everything is about money. But how is that working out for the NCHC right now? Not very well, is it...

Comment

Here's another behind the bench video shot just after practice this afternoon. Guys seemed to be in good spirits. It was a fun afternoon.

edit:slight editing problem - reuploading...

edit2: Sorry about that! https://youtu.be/HyjR5mbOyFY
                        Last edited by UAFHockeyFan314; 03-01-2017, 01:34 AM.

Comment

If the NCAA takes some gumption to bring some equity and restore some order to the chaos that's going on now, individual schools may not have a choice. When B1G formed, the CCHA and WCHA should have just merged into a super conference. But alas, everything is about money. But how is that working out for the NCHC right now? Not very well, is it...
                          The NCAA isn't going to do anything, even though I want them too. The NCAA was formed to make money for themselves, and not pay the athletes (though that is starting to change). If CFB got some more wacky realignment they might step in, but college hockey is not even a blip on their radar-due to hardly making any money.

Really the only thing we can do, is hound DU's administration about forming a new conference and pump their tires about well they could do.
                          Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by AKSWF View Post
                            Really the only thing we can do, is hound DU's administration about forming a new conference and pump their tires about well they could do.
                            If you haven't noticed, they're number one in the country right now where they're at. The amount of time that a school like DU would consider leaving the NCHC on their own right now is precisely zero. The only way this happens is if they're forced to. And the NCAA is the only entity that can do that.

Comment

Money is the key, when the big 12 FB (with 10 teams) clears 320 mill... Hockey is chopped
                              Liver and one party a year. Just a bump the road in the money trail.
                              Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
                              UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

Originally posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
                                Money is the key, when the big 12 FB (with 10 teams) clears 320 mill... Hockey is chopped
                                Liver and one party a year. Just a bump the road in the money trail.
                                All that hockey is to the B1G is filled time slots on Big Ten Network. The realignment killed so many great rivalries. Honestly Penn State would have fit perfectly with the CCHA of old.

Comment

Working...
                                X