Providence College on the road to Chicago

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jon View Post
    It inconveniences everyone. That's really not the point.
    All this talk about bracket integrity and attendance being issues and they schedule games in the middle of the day.
    It's because the NCAA women's basketball tournament (and men's on Saturday) is on at night. When is anybody going to GET it? On a nationwide level, college hockey ranks somewhere behind tiddlywinks. Just be happy the games are on. It wasn't that many years ago where the only game on was the championship game.

Comment

• Re: Providence College on the road to Chicago

Originally posted by Riz View Post
      When are they supposed to schedule them? In the middle of the night? There's more than one game that day at that site.
      This. Two years ago BU had a 2pm game in Manchester. Tomorrow they have a 3pm (2pm local) game. If they don't do this, then all the games are played at the same time and everyone *****es about whether their game is on TV or not. Providence didn't get a gift because they get to play at home in front of a rabid fan base. They got a gift because they can sleep in their own beds (I know they're probably all staying at the Marriott, which the could all walk to btw) and not have to travel and have the benefit of fans who don't have to take time off, pay for plane/hotel or at the very least drive 4+ hours.

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
        It's because the NCAA women's basketball tournament (and men's on Saturday) is on at night. When is anybody going to GET it? On a nationwide level, college hockey ranks somewhere behind tiddlywinks. Just be happy the games are on. It wasn't that many years ago where the only game on was the championship game.
        I don't think that's it. There's still a few games at night and one on site. I agree with just being happy the games are on though.
        Last edited by Riz; 03-23-2017, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Athough I have complained about the overlapping TV schedule, they might just be better off scheduling all of the semi games on Saturday and all finals on Sunday. You will get more casual fans at a Saturday semis. Do the eastern games at 1:30 and 6pm EST. Do the Central time games at 2:30pm and 7pmCST and the same times for the finals. I don't think the 5 to 10K TV audience will change that much from the current schedule. I know it interferes with BBall, but in the grand non ratings scheme of things the televising network should not care too much.
          YALE HOCKEY
          2013 National Champions

Comment

I miss USCHO so much, I can not tell you.

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
            they might just be better off scheduling all of the semi games on Saturday and all finals on Sunday.
            I don't have a problem with this idea.
            It's fun for people in the east to maybe catch two games at one site and then drive to the other regional and catch the regional final, but that obviously doesn't work in the west.
            My point was if the NCAA really cared about attendance, they'd have the two local teams playing at 8PM and consign Air Force and WMU to the 4PM game. Which isn't fair to those schools either, but the NCAA is hilariously random.
            Last edited by Jon; 03-23-2017, 04:59 PM.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
            -Blackadder
            "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
            -Casablanca
            "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
            -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
              Athough I have complained about the overlapping TV schedule, they might just be better off scheduling all of the semi games on Saturday and all finals on Sunday. You will get more casual fans at a Saturday semis. Do the eastern games at 1:30 and 6pm EST. Do the Central time games at 2:30pm and 7pmCST and the same times for the finals. I don't think the 5 to 10K TV audience will change that much from the current schedule. I know it interferes with BBall, but in the grand non ratings scheme of things the televising network should not care too much.
              But that's the point. They stagger the games because otherwise, as was the case a few years ago, there won't be enough channels to simultaneously put them on. Remember (I keep saying this but people don't get it), hockey is at the BOTTOM of the totem pole. They have lacrosse, women's basketball, track and field. If you have four semi-finals at the same time, you're only going to have two on TV and then the fans of the other four teams will be SCREAMING. It's not about ratings (the ratings probably don't even register), it's about capacity.

Not sure where you live, but travel someplace away from the "hotbed" college hockey areas during the NCAA playoffs (when men's and women's basketball, water polo, lacrosse is on). Go into a bar and ask them to put on the "college hockey game." They'll look at you like you have six heads and then ignore you.

Comment

Many years ago I had a friend with the NCAA and he told me the reason Providence was not being considered for the Frozen 4 was two part.....first the Dunk did not have enough rest rooms !!!! and the parking for the early game was not there.....I said the size of the venue had to be a reason and he insisted that if they wanted more tix sales for the income then they would just up the cost.......so we leap over 20 years and schedule a game at 4 so I hope the parking has improved and a good regional will be had by all......do not know if the carry a cup in the area deal Buddy put in is good for these games but it would be a good idea

Comment

• Originally posted by Jon View Post
                  It inconveniences everyone.
                  I'm old, cranky and I'm going to say this again.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
                  -Blackadder
                  -Casablanca
                  "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
                  -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

• Originally posted by satyking View Post
                    Many years ago I had a friend with the NCAA and he told me the reason Providence was not being considered for the Frozen 4 was two part.....first the Dunk did not have enough rest rooms !!!! and the parking for the early game was not there.....I said the size of the venue had to be a reason and he insisted that if they wanted more tix sales for the income then they would just up the cost.......so we leap over 20 years and schedule a game at 4 so I hope the parking has improved and a good regional will be had by all......do not know if the carry a cup in the area deal Buddy put in is good for these games but it would be a good idea
                    It has to do with seats...
                    Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

I have no issue with the scheduling. Last time it was in Providence the games were Saturday and Sunday. To be able to cram four games into roughly seven hours is no easy thing. Having the multiple ESPN channels to air the games on helps some of that. Skipping going to the games this year to stay in and watch everything instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by 3100IRL View Post
                        I have no issue with the scheduling. Last time it was in Providence the games were Saturday and Sunday. To be able to cram four games into roughly seven hours is no easy thing. Having the multiple ESPN channels to air the games on helps some of that. Skipping going to the games this year to stay in and watch everything instead.
                        Plus you can watch ESPN3 if you aren't interested in the game on
                        Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                          But that's the point. They stagger the games because otherwise, as was the case a few years ago, there won't be enough channels to simultaneously put them on. Remember (I keep saying this but people don't get it), hockey is at the BOTTOM of the totem pole. They have lacrosse, women's basketball, track and field. If you have four semi-finals at the same time, you're only going to have two on TV and then the fans of the other four teams will be SCREAMING. It's not about ratings (the ratings probably don't even register), it's about capacity.

Not sure where you live, but travel someplace away from the "hotbed" college hockey areas during the NCAA playoffs (when men's and women's basketball, water polo, lacrosse is on). Go into a bar and ask them to put on the "college hockey game." They'll look at you like you have six heads and then ignore you.
                          With my suggested setup or the way it is now, if you still want to watch most of the games you will have to multi view somehow. Nobody is watching the day games on Friday anyway, evryone except the tourney teams fans are still at work.
                          YALE HOCKEY
                          2013 National Champions

Comment

Screw this argument. I will not rest until all NCAA games take place in Providence at 3AM simultaneously.

-Blackadder
                            -Casablanca
                            -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
                              Screw this argument. I will not rest until all NCAA games take place in Providence at 3AM simultaneously.
                              You'd still whine.
                              Originally posted by mookie1995
                              bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
                              Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
                              Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

Originally posted by theprofromdover View Post
                                You'd still whine.
                                Sure
                                Last edited by Jon; 03-24-2017, 01:29 PM.

-Blackadder
                                -Casablanca
                                -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Working...
                                X