Providence College on the road to Chicago

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Providence College on the road to Chicago

Its time for a new thread, Tampa is gone and we are set to go to Chicago with a lot of new talent

Re: Providence College on the road to Chicago

Cav how does this year look

Comment

Originally posted by satyking View Post
      Cav how does this year look
      I will start with the post I put in the last thread.

Originally posted by cavbim View Post
      Well this is has been quite Actually was looking for the thread Saty started for '16 but that must long gone. So I'll use this since Cox has a lot to use to bring this up

The recent news relates to the NJEC going on now where tweets from Cox and Divver have mentioned Foley and Bjorkvist. Cox had a good one on Bjorkvist and Divver had one about Foley being primed for a breakout year

Cox also had a recent article ranking the recruiting classes, he linked in the Lowell thread if you want to read it. Obviously with replacing the seniors the incoming class is a key so his PC wrap up is a pretty look into how PC will look next year

This past week PC landed a Boston area kid Prompting Cox to note the list of '99's Leaman and company have been able to get from the Boston area Which is very true plus the kid quoted above (a 2000) and the Koopman's ('98's I believe) and said amazing inroads Leaman has made. Which is very true, Army's failure to land this type of kid from New England was a key reason for his lack of success.

Finally Buccigross had a preseason top 10 with PC 9th (BC 8th so for both maybe a bit optimistic preseason). However Divvver got a look at some of the kids as summer session tweeted and said by season end this will be a very strong team. I suspect he is right.
      Let's Go Pirates!

Comment

I will emphasize Divver's tweet. Year end this will be a good team. The question is do they at least position selves to get one of the last bids? Growing pains could kill early.

I'd believe people at this point more comfortable going into the season with Hawkey, then at this point with Ellis. The ultimate answer will be will Hawkey answer the bell like Ellis did

The defense is still veterans. 4 guys who have dressed just about all the time they were healthy, 2 sophomores who got their feet wet--Ruggiero a true freshman so often time those guys take their game up a notch. Plus Leaman has 2 USHL Dmen to work into the lineup like his 2 last year

Offense is a question. Wasn't there at the end, when needed and 6 valuable forwards graduated. Still the new guys by and large seem an upgrade, just they are freshmen, not seniors. Divver also tweeted Foley looks like Foley has taken his game to next level.
        Let's Go Pirates!

Comment

I truly expect Foley to be a scorer and a threat shorthanded

Comment

Originally posted by satyking View Post
            Its time for a new thread, Tampa is gone and we are set to go to Chicago with a lot of new talent
            Thank you for starting it. Things are on the uptick and continued success seems likely.

Comment

Found it.

Comment

Welcome aboard

Comment

My thoughts on this team is an NCAA bubble team come the end of the season should be the goal. Pinho really needs to step up his game and take a leadership role on the offensive end.

Foley was outstanding at the Junior Camp working well in the corners and getting in front of the net. Now the Finn looks to be a fantastic two way center with elite passing skill bad played shorthanded for the Finnish team. He was on the WJC team last year as a fourth liner so he expects to win.

The key guy is Conway who already has a year under his belt at Penn State before being kicked off the team. He was their top scorer so can he find the scoring touch like he did at Penn State and in the BCHL?

Duhaime from the reports I have seen is expected to be an integral top six forward who also scored a ton in the BCHL.

I think Hawkey will be fine between the pipes and will continue to show that Leaman's defensive system will keep the GAA down with outside shots.

Anyways, everyone in Hockey East is playing fir second place behind the greatest freshman class ever at BU...;-)
                  Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
                    My thoughts on this team is an NCAA bubble team come the end of the season should be the goal. Pinho really needs to step up his game and take a leadership role on the offensive end.

Foley was outstanding at the Junior Camp working well in the corners and getting in front of the net. Now the Finn looks to be a fantastic two way center with elite passing skill bad played shorthanded for the Finnish team. He was on the WJC team last year as a fourth liner so he expects to win.

The key guy is Conway who already has a year under his belt at Penn State before being kicked off the team. He was their top scorer so can he find the scoring touch like he did at Penn State and in the BCHL?

Duhaime from the reports I have seen is expected to be an integral top six forward who also scored a ton in the BCHL.

I think Hawkey will be fine between the pipes and will continue to show that Leaman's defensive system will keep the GAA down with outside shots.

Anyways, everyone in Hockey East is playing fir second place behind the greatest freshman class ever at BU...;-)
                    Duhaime played in USHL for Chicago and Tri City had decent numbers (15-27-42 plus 4-4-8 in Tri City run to Clark Cup). He is a mid round pick (higher then Pinho was picked)

Was the BCHL guy you were thinking of rookie of year Vimal Sukamaran? He was 32-34-66 plus 7-12-19 in Chilliwack's playoffs

Divver tweeted this a little while ago. Getting this cleared up would be a help since technically we are a forward down. He was in Carolina Development camp

Mark Divver
                    @MarkDivver
                    .@FriarsHockey continuing to work on adding F Josh Wilkins for upcoming season. '97 from Sioux City had academic loose ends to tie up.
                    4:28 PM - 17 Aug 2016
                    Let's Go Pirates!

Comment

Originally posted by cavbim View Post
                      Duhaime played in USHL for Chicago and Tri City had decent numbers (15-27-42 plus 4-4-8 in Tri City run to Clark Cup). He is a mid round pick (higher then Pinho was picked)

Was the BCHL guy you were thinking of rookie of year Vimal Sukamaran? He was 32-34-66 plus 7-12-19 in Chilliwack's playoffs

Divver tweeted this a little while ago. Getting this cleared up would be a help since technically we are a forward down. He was in Carolina Development camp

Mark Divver
                      @MarkDivver
                      .@FriarsHockey continuing to work on adding F Josh Wilkins for upcoming season. '97 from Sioux City had academic loose ends to tie up.
                      4:28 PM - 17 Aug 2016
                      Yea Sukamaran was the guy I meant. The video on Wilkins shootout goal at Carolina camp is insane. Reminds me of a Riley Barber type.

https://***********/NHLCanes/status/751841260827078658
                      Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Another season coming upon us. Going to need a program for games this year with all the new names but the returning vets I suspect will need to carry the team in the early going. Hopefully Walman is fully recovered and ready to pick up where he left off before the shoulder injury. Looking for more consistency from Ruggiero. Agree on Pinho stepping it up more, would like to see Rufo doing big things. Florentino needs to have a big senior year. Hawkey taking over in net should keep the net minding play high, at least that would be the expectation. Not sure what's there for backups to him, so hopefully he stays healthy.

I'm sure there will be some growing pains but with league games early can't afford to fall too far behind the top teams.

Will be interesting to see how well the Eagles reloaded after losing so many guys late.

Comment

Season preview on NU Hockey Blog for Providence, if you folks are interested. http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/20...an-erik-foley/
                          "Never tell me the odds"

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

Comment

Originally posted by NU_Husky View Post
                            Season preview on NU Hockey Blog for Providence, if you folks are interested. http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/20...an-erik-foley/
                            Kinda hard to put much stock in this piece after it mentions PC's 'relatively slow start' last season.

Really? Friars were 12-0-3 and No. 1 team in the country when they lost their first game to Cornell on Dec. 28.

Comment

The context there was supposed to be the slow start to 2016 in January where PC dropped three of four points to BC and lost to Lowell and New Hampshire. Which, in Providence's case, resulted in them falling behind the BC's and Notre Dame's of the world in conference play, since their conference schedule was so backlogged. I know that PC (along with QU) was setting the world on fire in fall and wasn't trying to say otherwise.

I was keeping my own log of the Hockey East standings weekly last season to track the "true standings" in conference since certain teams, most notably PC, had such a vast difference in games played relative to other teams. On 1/14 PC was 5th in points but had two games in hand, resulting in them being 4th outright in points-per-game (PPG). PC maintained roughly the same position through January, peaking at T-3rd in PPG and 4th in overall points after the Vermont series, before dipping back down to T-4th/4th after playing Lowell. Into February, on 2/6 after sweeping Maine, they were still T-4th in overall points with BU and in 4th outright in points per game due to a single game in hand. That was the point I was trying to make, that throughout January and into February they were fighting with BU for the last bye in the HEA tournament.

I agree that that wasn't very clear in the post and I updated the opening bit to hopefully make the context more obvious and to hype up the fall part of the schedule a bit more. Wasn't trying to discredit the hot start you had in NC play and the start of HEA play, and I apologize if you thought I was.
                              Last edited by TheRevengeance; 08-26-2016, 06:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X