Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Providence College on the road to Chicago

Originally posted by TheRevengeance View Post
    The context there was supposed to be the slow start to 2016 in January where PC dropped three of four points to BC and lost to Lowell and New Hampshire. Which, in Providence's case, resulted in them falling behind the BC's and Notre Dame's of the world in conference play, since their conference schedule was so backlogged. I know that PC (along with QU) was setting the world on fire in fall and wasn't trying to say otherwise.

I was keeping my own log of the Hockey East standings weekly last season to track the "true standings" at the top of the conference since PC had such a vast difference in games played relative to other teams. On 1/14 PC was 5th in points but had two games in hand, resulting in them being 4th outright in points-per-game (PPG). PC maintained roughly the same position through January, peaking at T-3rd in PPG and 4th in overall points after the Vermont series, before dipping back down to 4th/T-4th after playing Lowell. Into February, on 2/6 after sweeping Maine, they were still T-4th in overall points with BU and in 4th outright in points per game due to a single game in hand. That was the point I was trying to make, that throughout January and into February they were fighting with BU for the last bye in the HEA tournament.

I agree that that wasn't very clear in the post and I updated that first paragraph to hopefully make the context more obvious and to hype up the fall part of the schedule a bit more. Wasn't trying to discredit the hot start you had in NC play and the start of HEA play, and I apologize if you thought I was.
    Got it. Thanks for clarifying.

Comment

Originally posted by Hope Street View Post
      Kinda hard to put much stock in this piece after it mentions PC's 'relatively slow start' last season.

Really? Friars were 12-0-3 and No. 1 team in the country when they lost their first game to Cornell on Dec. 28.
      They might want to spell Providence right in the first sentence!
      Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
        They might want to spell Providence right in the first sentence!
        Added the i into the word. Would be nice to hear if anyone has any comments on the content itself. Revengeance and I were shocked to see how little scoring is returning for PC and how much they are depending on players breaking out/freshman contributions, but I don't get the vibe that PC fans are very worried. To me it seems dangerous putting so much faith in the unknown (something NU has done more often than we'd like over the years).
        "Never tell me the odds"

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

Comment

Originally posted by NU_Husky View Post
          Added the i into the word. Would be nice to hear if anyone has any comments on the content itself. Revengeance and I were shocked to see how little scoring is returning for PC and how much they are depending on players breaking out/freshman contributions, but I don't get the vibe that PC fans are very worried. To me it seems dangerous putting so much faith in the unknown (something NU has done more often than we'd like over the years).
          In Leaman we trust...you can talk about the lack of scorning returning but Providence was never a high offensive team. They won with defense and goaltending.

Foley and Bjöqvist (Finland sent a poor squad) were outstanding at the USA WJC thing earlier this summer.

Foley was battling a concussion from the scrimmage last season in the first half of the season so once he got rolling in the second half he was much better.

I think your series of articles is overvaluing Northeasten which to me got hot against the absolute crap of Hockey East last season.

I think PC finishes right on the NCAA bubble this year. Not sure in or out.

Comment

Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
            In Leaman we trust...you can talk about the lack of scorning returning but Providence was never a high offensive team. They won with defense and goaltending.

Foley and Bjöqvist (Finland sent a poor squad) were outstanding at the USA WJC thing earlier this summer.

Foley was battling a concussion from the scrimmage last season in the first half of the season so once he got rolling in the second half he was much better.

I think your series of articles is overvaluing Northeasten which to me got hot against the absolute crap of Hockey East last season.

I think PC finishes right on the NCAA bubble this year. Not sure in or out.
            I pretty much agree with Zlax on this. I certainly know PC won't be a pre season favorite. However depending on if some of the balance in the bottom half comes up to the top half my opinion is Providence stands a good chance to secure a top 4 home berth and have them somewhere between 12-16 nationally, as Zlax said on the bubble.

Could what the article says come true. I know its possible other teams have a say in what happens. I would write that as worst case scenario.

I do think As Zlax says and to be fair the article touched on Leaman will have a large role in the final results. History at Union and Providence says his teams overachieve. At Providence the closest he came to underachieving was in '14-15 and we know how that ended. Bottom line is this Leaman teams generally are sum of the parts being greater than the whole teams

Again as Zlax noted PC is very defensive oriented, and hand in hand they play a very disciplined game. Roles are clear and expectations are high. without a doubt Leaman absorbed a lot as a grad assistant from Walsh

In the defensive department PC is still very solid. From what we saw of Hawkey last year it's clear he has talent. You read back on the old thread there was a real belief Hawkey would push Ellis hard for the job and would mean going pro at this point with his stock high was best for Ellis. The defense has 6 guys with experience returning, 4 as jr/sr have played just about every healthy game for 3 or 4 years. 4 have been drafted. It gives the luxury of letting an undersized and true freshman defender in Jacob Bryson learn in a less pressure pack situation. He is terrific puck mover and as a 17 year old one of the top offensive Dmen in the USHL.

I also think it paints a picture that is fraught with issues for Conway. Both his BCHL and Leaman said they did due diligence on him. He already proved his BCHL coach right who said he did everything expected of him and then some. The part of him not being drafted is like some dishonor. Well this past spring the Merrimack beat writer Mike McMahon had an article about college free agents signing NHL deals. No coach has produced more than Leaman in the 4 years measured. Sounds like a nice partnership between Conway and Leaman. Conway had a solid season on ice at PSU, had ridiculous numbers in juniors last years, but also great number before PSU in the USHL.

Zlax also laid out the case for the issue of undervaluing Foley. However you might also add Foley was a true freshman

Leaman also is very good at getting guys who fills the roles he needs. The guys coming in not mentioned while not stars have 3rd4th line roles and these guys are coming in older. Again Leaman is following the same blueprint from Union and when he first arrived at PC.

For sure the departed classes history is written but if you divorce Gillies from that class and look at what had to be replaced this year. This class is more talented at this point in their career than Leaman's first class was with the only reasons someone would argue is that Jankowski was a first round pick (probably now a bit of a stretch and a kid who should have played in the USHL a year before college) and they do have to prove it.

I also found it funny it mentioned Providence not being able to replace its losses as readily as BC. Yet Cox rated PC's class a bit ahead of BC. Which leads to the point PC knew they were replacing all the skaters it lost and as mentioned by mid year had to have realized Ellis was a serious possibility, BC did not anticipate the magnitude of their early departures. I would guess they thought 3, worst case 4.

Also as noted earlier PC still hopes to be able to get one more kid eligible which would solidify the bottom 6 forwards. Wilkins was a member of the US's WJAC team last winter and was invited to Carolina's development camp
            Let's Go Pirates!

Comment

Originally posted by cavbim View Post
              Also as noted earlier PC still hopes to be able to get one more kid eligible which would solidify the bottom 6 forwards. Wilkins was a member of the US's WJAC team last winter and was invited to Carolina's development camp
              Wilkins just got accepted for this season

https://***********/MarkDivver/statu...33482964369408

Comment

And almost as I typed it Divver tweeted word is Wilkins has been green lighted
                Let's Go Pirates!

Comment

Hawkey was expected when he committed to be the guy between the pipes last season until his injury. It was expected that Gillies was leaving after his junior season so when recruited, that was the plan but Ellis was ready to take the job after Hawkey's knee injury

Comment

Good get for the Friars as 2000-born center Cam Hillis verbally commits. Potential struggle with the OHL for his services coming for Leaman.

https://***********/MarkDivver/statu...39215740481536
                    "Never tell me the odds"

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

Comment

Good get for the Friars as 2000-born center Cam Hillis verbally commits. Potential struggle with the OHL for his services coming for Leaman.

Hey Zlax you better go to the aid of your buddies. I believe there will be a suicide watch up in Durham. Salt in wound is Borek had a hand in this
                      Let's Go Pirates!

Comment

He was a 2nd round OHL pick as well. Definitely should be a struggle to get him to college.
                        QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS

ECAC Regular Season Champions
                        2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

ECAC Tournament Champions

NCAA Tournament
                        2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019

NCAA Frozen Four
                        2013, 2016

https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
                        https://***********/QHockeyBlog
                        https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
                        https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/

Comment

Originally posted by QUAlum2004 View Post
                          He was a 2nd round OHL pick as well. Definitely should be a struggle to get him to college.
                          Why is that? NCAA has proven over past several years to be by far the best development path. NHL teams are loaded on ice, on bench and in front office with NCAA guys. With USHL producing at its current clip you would have to be crazy to go up there

This trend will only strengthen over next several years. If from Ontario, fine. US kid, shouldn't even be an after thought

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
                            Why is that? NCAA has proven over past several years to be by far the best development path. NHL teams are loaded on ice, on bench and in front office with NCAA guys. With USHL producing at its current clip you would have to be crazy to go up there

This trend will only strengthen over next several years. If from Ontario, fine. US kid, shouldn't even be an after thought

Of course time will tell but basically I agree with you though Hillis is an Ontario kid. Check the Lowell thread for College hockey writers answer to same issue. Pretty accurate. To an extent somewhat similar to Jankowski except Hillis is a little more advanced as a junior in High school. One other of his points was kid has to this point angled toward an ncaa option. Might add to that while no names Divver said 5 schools beside PC in on him. 3 were Ivy (1B10, one other HEA)
                            Let's Go Pirates!

Comment

Hey Zlax you better go to the aid of your buddies. I believe there will be a suicide watch up in Durham. Salt in wound is Borek had a hand in this
                              I don't know what changed up at UNH but there was a major drop-off after I graduated with Borek as the assistant. Makes you wonder...

Comment

I went to order tickets earlier today and noticed the schedule still lists all home games with a start time of TBA. Any idea what's going on? The HEA website shows PC and Maine home games with TBA for a start time. Are the Friars thinking about an earlier start so the game will be over by the time the Exodus to Bradley's begins?
                                I hope they figure it out before October 2.

Comment

Working...
                                X