Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122232425 LastLast
Results 421 to 440 of 494

Thread: Providence College on the road to Chicago

  1. #421
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Fitchburg, MA
    Posts
    3,092

    Re: Providence College on the road to Chicago

    Quote Originally Posted by The Zlax45 View Post
    Did Providence complain about having to play the national championship in Boston against Boston University two years ago? No, we don't talk about that because BU lost the game.
    Um...last time I checked they don't "place" teams in the Frozen Four. Or did you want them to MOVE the Frozen Four to, say, Dallas so that BU wouldn't be "home?"

  2. #422
    Friar Fever.... be a believer!
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Corn Neck Rd. BIRI
    Posts
    1,802

    Re: Providence College on the road to Chicago

    Western Michigan is my sleeper to win the region. I think Harvard has the best shot to advance but the Friars have a puncher's chance if the play smart.

    I hope that Friars fans come out to support the team. There isn't as much cross over support for the hockey team as I'd like to see but since the hoop team is off for the summer it is a nice opportunity to for some folks to wear their black and white and see a game at the Dunk.

  3. #423
    Opposite Girl
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Meffa, MA
    Posts
    29,040

    Re: Providence College on the road to Chicago

    Quote Originally Posted by The Zlax45 View Post
    Did Providence complain about having to play the national championship in Boston against Boston University two years ago? No, we don't talk about that because BU lost the game.
    Yeah, that's TOTALLY the same thing.

  4. #424
    Holding court
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    HOTel cORAL esSEX
    Posts
    5,628

    Re: Providence College on the road to Chicago

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Cleverly View Post
    If the NCAA did not consider attendance while making the pairings
    Unfortunately, they do so we can stop the conversation right there. Remember when BU hosted in Worcester every other year and still couldn't get out of the regionals and it got so ridiculous they started making Holy Cross host?
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010 View Post
    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

  5. #425
    Opposite Girl
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Meffa, MA
    Posts
    29,040

    Re: Providence College on the road to Chicago

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
    Unfortunately, they do so we can stop the conversation right there. Remember when BU hosted in Worcester every other year and still couldn't get out of the regionals and it got so ridiculous they started making Holy Cross host?
    You know that's not what happened. But sure, it makes for a good narrative.

    The mayor of Worcester said that since the Centrum is owned by the city and there is a D1 school in Worcester, Holy Cross will be the host school any time the Regionals are there. And not for nothing, but they went to the Frozen Four quite a few times through Worcester.

  6. #426
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    1,394

    Re: Providence College on the road to Chicago

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
    Unfortunately, they do so we can stop the conversation right there. Remember when BU hosted in Worcester every other year and still couldn't get out of the regionals and it got so ridiculous they started making Holy Cross host?
    Also, yah know. Providence in Providence was based on Bracket Integrity. They didn't need to move them there because as the brackets fell they were naturally there. Now if you think the #3 seed in the country should not need to play a team so close to home thats fair, but that is how things fell. The committee did not move them there this year
    BS UMass Lowell 2015
    PhD Georgia Institute of Technology 20(19ish?)



    Quote Originally Posted by BUtogether View Post
    And I'd be giving BJ's to any kid
    RIP KRoy4Hobey, Gr8Sk8M8(?), BUtogether(?)

  7. #427
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    1,394

    Re: Providence College on the road to Chicago

    Quote Originally Posted by The Zlax45 View Post
    Did Providence complain about having to play the national championship in Boston against Boston University two years ago? No, we don't talk about that because BU lost the game.
    what a stupid thing to say. Aren't you a UNH fan
    BS UMass Lowell 2015
    PhD Georgia Institute of Technology 20(19ish?)



    Quote Originally Posted by BUtogether View Post
    And I'd be giving BJ's to any kid
    RIP KRoy4Hobey, Gr8Sk8M8(?), BUtogether(?)

  8. #428
    Holding court
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    HOTel cORAL esSEX
    Posts
    5,628

    Re: Providence College on the road to Chicago

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet View Post
    but they went to the Frozen Four quite a few times through Worcester.
    I was there for the Denver game!
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010 View Post
    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

  9. #429
    Opposite Girl
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Meffa, MA
    Posts
    29,040

    Re: Providence College on the road to Chicago

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
    I was there for the Denver game!
    What were you like, 12???

  10. #430
    Holding court
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    HOTel cORAL esSEX
    Posts
    5,628

    Re: Providence College on the road to Chicago

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet View Post
    What were you like, 12???
    17, almost 18. There was about a month where I was biting my nails waiting for my BC acceptance letter while I held on to my acceptance letters from the safety schools; BU was tops on the safety list until the BC one arrived on April 2nd I think (Phew!), delayed by that ridiculous snowstorm April 1 1997. So yea I was there rooting for BU when Drury buried it in OT.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010 View Post
    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

  11. #431
    Friar Fever.... be a believer!
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Corn Neck Rd. BIRI
    Posts
    1,802

    Re: Providence College on the road to Chicago

    I feel that BU should have been moved to Providence to help boost attendance as well. I think the Air Force/Western Michigan game will be sparsely attended in terms of their fans traveling and neither team has enough exposure to draw casual fan interest here in New England. The bracket would be much more of a draw if BU was switched to Providence. That would have spiced things up!

  12. #432
    Opposite Girl
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Meffa, MA
    Posts
    29,040

    Re: Providence College on the road to Chicago

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
    17, almost 18. There was about a month where I was biting my nails waiting for my BC acceptance letter while I held on to my acceptance letters from the safety schools; BU was tops on the safety list until the BC one arrived on April 2nd I think (Phew!), delayed by that ridiculous snowstorm April 1 1997. So yea I was there rooting for BU when Drury buried it in OT.
    OMG, I remember coming home from the Final Four in Milwaukee that year. It was, like 65 degrees the entire time we were there. Just gorgeous weather. Landed back in Boston on 3/31. My folks picked my up at the airport and said "we're supposed to get some snow tomorrow." Ha. Understatement.

    OK, topic. So, I asked in the Pairwise thread if, based on them really trying to do 1 vs 16, 2 vs 15, etc. if this is actually where Providence would have been seeded anyway, location be ****ed, and never got an answer. So, let's say the regional was in Worcester this year. Would Providence still be there? I'm thinking yes because they are a 4 seed.

  13. #433
    College hockey nerd
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    217

    Re: Providence College on the road to Chicago

    Quote Originally Posted by PC91 View Post
    I feel that BU should have been moved to Providence to help boost attendance as well. I think the Air Force/Western Michigan game will be sparsely attended in terms of their fans traveling and neither team has enough exposure to draw casual fan interest here in New England. The bracket would be much more of a draw if BU was switched to Providence. That would have spiced things up!
    They couldn't do a team for team swap of Western Michigan for BU because that would have created a first round intra-conference NCHC matchup in Fargo between Western Mich and North Dakota.

  14. #434
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    2,166

    Re: Providence College on the road to Chicago

    Mark Divver‏ @MarkDivver
    Two weeks after verbally committing to @FriarsHockey, Madison Caps D-man Cole Hults has decommitted. Previously committed to Lake Superior
    QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS


    ECAC Regular Season Champions
    2013, 2015, 2016

    ECAC Tournament Champions
    2016

    NCAA Tournament
    2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016

    NCAA Frozen Four
    2013, 2016

    http://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
    https://twitter.com/QHockeyBlog
    https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
    https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/

  15. #435
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    1,394
    Quote Originally Posted by QUAlum2004 View Post
    Mark Divver‏ @MarkDivver
    Two weeks after verbally committing to @FriarsHockey, Madison Caps D-man Cole Hults has decommitted. Previously committed to Lake Superior
    Huh

  16. #436
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    454

    Re: Providence College on the road to Chicago

    Quote Originally Posted by satyking View Post
    They are the last team in and playing the top team so I think its the draw not the city
    Michigan Tech was the last team in, not PC. And it was done for attendance purposes and league matches.

  17. #437
    Union Hockey fan for life
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,123
    Quote Originally Posted by Riz View Post
    They couldn't do a team for team swap of Western Michigan for BU because that would have created a first round intra-conference NCHC matchup in Fargo between Western Mich and North Dakota.
    They could have, however, switched Western Michigan with Union. Western Michigan is 300 miles from Cincy, but 900 miles from Providence. Union is 180 miles from Providence, but 700 miles from Cincy. Union would have brought a huge contingent of fans to that game. Instead, we'll probably have less than 100 fans making the trip to Cincy.

    The committee chairman was actually asked about this in an interview with CHN and this is what he had to say:

    CHN: What about, say, switching Western Michigan and Union, getting Western Michigan to Cincinnati (instead of Providence)? The school is somewhat close to Cincinnati.

    McGinnis: I don't know if that was felt to be a significant switch. When you look at it the first time through, you had Cornell (in Providence) so you couldn't move Union there. After (Cornell was moved to Manchester) you could've made that (Union-WMU) switch as well, but I don't think they felt that was a dramatic enough change.

  18. #438
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Newport, RI
    Posts
    1,270

    Re: Providence College on the road to Chicago

    This makes it 4 NCAA appearances in a row for PC.....don't know how many other schools can claim that......means we have a program not just a team or 2

  19. #439
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,018

    Re: Providence College on the road to Chicago

    I dont care if you play in your back yard, any team that beats Miami Ohio, Denver, UNO and BU in 4 straight is pretty **** good. Especially in the dominating fashion they did, blew out the first 3, regardless of what the final scores were. And they were 2-1 vs BU for the season,

  20. #440
    Unofficial Official
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    RI
    Posts
    32

    Re: Providence College on the road to Chicago

    I don't think there's as much of an advantage in placing Providence in the local regional. It's not done as a favor, just an NCAA idea to get the most money out of having the nearest team in the tourney to the site hosting it. I don't expect that players are skating around looking up at the stands and saying, "****, look at all those opponents colors out there. Terrifying! I give up!"

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •