Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Olympic Spoiler Thread - You've Been Warned.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Olympic Spoiler Thread - You've Been Warned.

heartbreaking to see runners fall down during their races. Hit those hurdles too much, and it's all over.

Comment

Funny how different KWJ's play can be in 24 hours. Playing MUCH better tonight, US/BRA in a dogfight.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
        I don't mind someone "buying" a medal as it's a misnomer anyway. Yeah their adopted country throws $$ one way or another (endorsements, training facilities, etc) at the athlete, but if they're good enough to medal period they were likely good enough for the team of their home country.
        Not necessarily. SOmetimes there is a glut in the sport they are in. All it takes is a fall, false start or injury and poof- medal. Look at gymnastics- how many of the elite gymnasts were excluded because there could only be 2. Other than Biles the next 2 were Americans and most likely could have medalled without the exclusion.

Comment

How many Americans with dual citizenship earned a medal under a different flag and wasn't good enough for the home team?

Comment

How many Americans with dual citizenship earned a medal under a different flag and wasn't good enough for the home team?
            Two 110M womens hurdlers didn't medal, just finishing 4th, and 7th- they both represented Great Britain but normally run for the US. US runners swept the podium. Which isn't what you were asking...

Comment

Not really a dual citizenship thing, but more an eligibility thing- Monica Puig won women's tennis for Puerto Rico, the US was represented by the Williams sisters. Puerto Rico is the only competing US territory with a medal at the moment (others being USVI, Guam, and American Samoa).

Comment

If I recall correctly, in many sports, you have to have a minimum qualifying time. In some countries, you might have a dozen people or more with a time that is good enough to qualify, yet only three people can go from that country. The difference in some cases is a tenth of a second between being top three and top five.
                "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

4 x 100 is such a friggin' train wreck. So much happening in such a short space and time span. So much can go wrong, and sometimes does.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                    They reported that the other day when I was watching. He stops for that ceremony no matter who won and no matter what national anthem is playing. Very cool.
                    I agree. Want respect? Give respect.
                    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by CLS View Post
                      4 x 100 is such a friggin' train wreck. So much happening in such a short space and time span. So much can go wrong, and sometimes does.
                      I just saw an update that the US women's team will get an opportunity to qualify by themselves later today. The ruling was that the Brazilian team caused the problem in the exchange.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                        I just saw an update that the US women's team will get an opportunity to qualify by themselves later today. The ruling was that the Brazilian team caused the problem in the exchange.
                        The US needs to post a time of 42.70 or better. If they do, that's not the end of it--the Canadian and Chinese teams will then need to have a run off to determine the final qualifier as they had both tied at 42.70. Now if the US posts exactly 42.70...

Comment

My head hurts!!

Watching badminton. Woof!

Comment

Originally posted by GrinCDXX View Post
                            The US needs to post a time of 42.70 or better. If they do, that's not the end of it--the Canadian and Chinese teams will then need to have a run off to determine the final qualifier as they had both tied at 42.70. Now if the US posts exactly 42.70...
                            Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                            Too bad, even if warranted, and especially because it was the Brazilians. US, rightly or wrongly, will be accused of strongarming. I have no doubt they can beat any standard; they're a lot faster than the Canadians and Chinese.

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                            My head hurts!!

Watching badminton. Woof!
                            Not that little kids backyard game where you hit the shuttlecock underhand, huh? But that goofy dink serve everyone seems to use looks silly.

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                              If I recall correctly, in many sports, you have to have a minimum qualifying time. In some countries, you might have a dozen people or more with a time that is good enough to qualify, yet only three people can go from that country. The difference in some cases is a tenth of a second between being top three and top five.
                              Which doesn't answer my question.

Comment

France is playing US tough. is griner supposed to be good or is it she is just tall? She sucks in this game
                                I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Working...
                                X