Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Olympic Spoiler Thread - You've Been Warned.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Olympic Spoiler Thread - You've Been Warned.

Australia just lost 7-6 in 8 rounds of PKs to host Brazil. Marta was the only Brazil player to have her shot saved.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
      First person to medal on five continents.
      Antarctica 2024!

Does skeet shooting get a lot of attention usually?
      No. Most don't know what skeet shooting is, honestly.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
        Antarctica 2024!

Good things with guns can never be televised, duh.

Comment

• Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
          Good things with guns can never be televised, duh.
          One would think while they are celebrating PC-ness they would televise the heck out of archery.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
            Antarctica 2024!

No, it doesn't, but a medal in 6 straight is big enough accomplishment, regardless of event, to at least get some publicity. Its embarrassing that there hasn't even been a mention on any broadcast I saw.
            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

One would think while they are celebrating PC-ness they would televise the heck out of archery.
              I actually watched a good bit of archery earlier this week, on television.

I've yet to hardly see a second of any mention, let alone air time, of any shooting events. Ginny Thrasher had a very brief snippet to open things up, but since then?

Comment

Oh, so because you haven't seen it primetime on NBC, they must be kowtowing to the evils of PC. Or have you been watching Bravo, USA, NBCSN and whatever other network as well?

I've been watching on the app on Roku but I'm going to guess sports like synchronized swimming, sailing, rowing, white water slalom, table tennis, badminton and other fringe sports haven't had a lot of love on NBC.

If it makes you feel better here's the NBC page celebrating Kim Rhode - and it even shows her carrying a big ol' gun!

http://www.nbcolympics.com/news/kim-...-makes-history

Comment

They don't mention because most people don't give a rip. Is that really a difficult concept?

Comment

Oh, so because you haven't seen it primetime on NBC, they must be kowtowing to the evils of PC. Or have you been watching Bravo, USA, NBCSN and whatever other network as well?

I've been watching on the app on Roku but I'm going to guess sports like synchronized swimming, sailing, rowing, white water slalom, table tennis, badminton and other fringe sports haven't had a lot of love on NBC.

If it makes you feel better here's the NBC page celebrating Kim Rhode - and it even shows her carrying a big ol' gun!

http://www.nbcolympics.com/news/kim-...-makes-history
                    Yes, I have been watching on virtually every channel they're putting events on. I've literally been bouncing all over the NBC spectrum depending on what they're covering at the time.

I don't expect anything related to the shooting events to take up their precious prime time slots, but there isn't much excuse for not giving it any attention on their 6th and 7th channels during the ever exciting daytime slots between rowing and kayaking and basket weaving.

Heck, I'm not even expecting live full broadcast of shooting events. I know that you can't really make air rifle/smallbore events that exciting, although it took a big step forward in the past decade with the addition of electronic scoring. I don't think it's asking too much to have a minute highlight package or event results in there.

Slappy, I have to think atleast some gun enthusiasts, of which we all know there are FAR TOO MANY OF in this country, would be interested. Surely it's atleast around the same amount that care about kayaking and rowing.
                    Last edited by hockeyplayer1015; 08-13-2016, 01:17 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                      They don't mention because most people don't give a rip. Is that really a difficult concept?
                      No, it's a liberal conspiracy! Duh!
                      U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                      Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                      I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                      But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                      Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                      Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
                        I actually watched a good bit of archery earlier this week, on television.

I've yet to hardly see a second of any mention, let alone air time, of any shooting events. Ginny Thrasher had a very brief snippet to open things up, but since then?
                        They showed Thrasher's first competition where she won the gold medal LIVE on one of the cable channels last Saturday morning. I watched the whole thing.

Then, they had a long studio interview with her that night on one of the cable channels.

Her accomplishment was not at all "hidden."
                        Russell Jaslow
                        [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                        U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Expected response from the usual suspects.

Because it would be the end of the world for Costas to spend 20 seconds mentioning a huge accomplishment. There's no reason to televise the actual event, it isn't that exciting, but a mention. Its in poor taste by NBC, and really, it's exactly as expected from NBC.
                          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                            Expected response from the usual suspects.

Because it would be the end of the world for Costas to spend 20 seconds mentioning a huge accomplishment. There's no reason to televise the actual event, it isn't that exciting, but a mention. Its in poor taste by NBC, and really, it's exactly as expected from NBC.
                            I'm a little bleary eyed from channel flipping, but I'll swear that's exactly what I saw last night -- i.e. Costas mentioning the 6 consecutive Olympics and five continents or whatever it is.

The problem I'm having with the minor sports is that they seem to be on kind of randomly. There are basketball, tennis, and golf specific channels, but if you want to watch, say, team handball or field hockey, it will be interspersed with other things you might not be interested in. If you look at the guide, you might be able to tell that what you want to see will appear somewhere in a two hour time block, but there's no way of knowing when in that time block it will be.

Comment

Originally posted by CLS View Post
                              I'm a little bleary eyed from channel flipping, but I'll swear that's exactly what I saw last night -- i.e. Costas mentioning the 6 consecutive Olympics and five continents or whatever it is.

The problem I'm having with the minor sports is that they seem to be on kind of randomly. There are basketball, tennis, and golf specific channels, but if you want to watch, say, team handball or field hockey, it will be interspersed with other things you might not be interested in. If you look at the guide, you might be able to tell that what you want to see will appear somewhere in a two hour time block, but there's no way of knowing when in that time block it will be.
                              I watched the Costas stuff last night and didn't hear a mention, I suppose it could have been when I was up getting a beer or taking a leak.

What you mentioned has annoyed me too. They sprinkle in the smaller stuff, and you have no clue when it will be. Even on the secondary channels, there isn't a huge variety, there is some, but it seems like they have their go-to niche sports that they'll show. I can only watch so much fencing and water polo before they get a bit old.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Expected complaint from the usual suspects.

Because it would be the end of the world for Costas to spend 20 seconds mentioning a sport no one gives a crap about. It's exactly as expected from a multinational corporation trying to turn a profit.

Send your complaints to NBC and add your voice to the hundreds of thousands of others who don't like their coverage and are unhappy (enter name of fringe sport here) isn't being covered as much as they would like.

Comment

Working...
                                X