An Experiment: A Literal Political Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: An Experiment: A Literal Political Thread

So basically all the reasons why people in the know vote for Republicans: rentiers, traders, corporate welfare recipients, and the wealthy. Got it.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I have heard some people express bewilderment that right wing candidates have as much support as they do.

I can think of plenty of good reasons for people to vote for right wing candidates, in some cases, because they believe they are corrupt; in other cases, they merely don't care at all either way.

1) Poorly educated white males in Alabama.

2) Poorly educated white males in Mississippi.

3) Poorly educated white males in Louisiana.

4) Poorly educated white males in Georgia.

5) Poorly educated white males in Arkansas.

6) All people in Wasila Ak.

7) Gopher fans.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        So basically all the reasons why people in the know vote for Republicans: rentiers, traders, corporate welfare recipients, and the wealthy. Got it.
        Yes, unfortunately, the rich and powerful control both political parties, and the only consequence of any election is which group of rich and powerful gets to divide up the spoils. More wealthy people vote D than R, you know....
        "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
          Yes, unfortunately, the rich and powerful control both political parties, and the only consequence of any election is which group of rich and powerful gets to divide up the spoils. More wealthy people vote D than R, you know....
          That's education.

The more you know the more you vote Dem, but the more you know the more you make and the more you make the more you vote Republican, so it's all a wash.

The domination of the two parties by the wealthy is bad, but the GOP welcomes it -- it's part of their mission statement. The Dems are theoretically opposed to it, though as time passes I'm becoming more convinced that since the actual party leaders are themselves wealthy those may be crocodile tears.

Still one place to go. I particularly like that the torches look like ice cream cones.
          Last edited by Kepler; 08-31-2016, 12:12 PM.
          Cornell University
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

4) Leaders of public sector unions, she will keep hiring and expanding government, more dues for their coffers! Teachers' unions in particular, no way we will see any educational reform that puts students first: they don't vote, they don't pay union dues, they count for nothing.
            The right had their shot at education reform and it was a massive failure. Take the L and stop whining.
            Originally posted by dicaslover
            Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
            Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
              The right had their shot at education reform and it was a massive failure. Take the L and stop whining.
              They had a shot at health care reform to and blew it.
              They had a shot at fixing the Middle East. Blew that.
              They had multiple shots at trickle down economics. Blown.
              They had a shot at locking up drug users. Blown.
              They had a shot at fixing Social Security and Medicare. Blown.

And, we have a man in office who has tried his heart out to implement complex fixes to many issues and they have blocked him at every turn. And the blockage only gets worse when Hillary gets elected.
              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                And the blockage only gets worse when Hillary gets elected.
                We'll see.

Any chamber controlled by the GOP might as well not even convene, but Hillary plus the Senate can do a fair amount -- if nothing else they can help the judiciary recover from the last 40 years of wingnut abuse, and undo the Great Unwinding of voting, worker, and reproductive rights.

Budget bills and active legislation are dead unless and until the Democrats get their act together in the House. I've read we will need to win the net House vote by 7M votes just to get back to 50% due to a variety of factors, not all of which are nefarious. That could happen if the bottom falls out with Apricot Adolf, but don't hold your breath -- the GOP seems to be holding serve in AZ and GA which means no wave is coming.
                Cornell University

Comment

The domination of the two parties by the wealthy is bad, but the GOP welcomes it -- it's part of their mission statement. The Dems are theoretically opposed to it, though as time passes I'm becoming more convinced that since the actual party leaders are themselves wealthy those may be crocodile tears.
                  or they are really good at fooling lots of people for long periods of time, and the media are complicit in the charade since they too have privileged positions of wealth and power to preserve...

btw, intelligent people generally are much easier to manipulate than ordinary people, all you need to do is flatter them on how smart they are..... I wouldn't be surprised if that is an important element in the Democrats' appeal.
                  "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                    I like how he's finally stopped hiding his "BSABSVR" shtick lately.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post

I can think of plenty of good reasons for people to vote for right wing candidates ...

1) Poorly educated white males in Alabama.

2) Poorly educated white males in Mississippi.

3) Poorly educated white males in Louisiana.

4) Poorly educated white males in Georgia.

5) Poorly educated white males in Arkansas.

(emphasis mine)

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
                      Why in the world would they want to fix education?

Comment

btw, intelligent people generally are much easier to manipulate than ordinary people, all you need to do is flatter them on how smart they are..... I wouldn't be surprised if that is an important element in the Democrats' appeal.
                        You shifted ground and it nullifies your argument.

You jumped to intelligence, whereas I simply talked about education. Education is what makes people more tolerant, not intelligence. There are lots of really intelligent jerks. Intelligence might even make people more jerky because they've had to deal with the small brains all their lives which is tiring.

Of course there's also the Lake Wobegone problem when it just comes to intelligence: most people think they're more intelligent than they actually are, and stupider people tend to overestimate their intelligence by proportionally larger amounts because their stupidity indicates deprivation of the ability to reason correctly from their experiences.
                        Last edited by Kepler; 08-31-2016, 06:42 PM.
                        Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                          They had a shot at health care reform to and blew it.
                          They had a shot at fixing the Middle East. Blew that.
                          They had multiple shots at trickle down economics. Blown.
                          They had a shot at locking up drug users. Blown.
                          They had a shot at fixing Social Security and Medicare. Blown.

And, we have a man in office who has tried his heart out to implement complex fixes to many issues and they have blocked him at every turn. And the blockage only gets worse when Hillary gets elected.
                          You actually think anyone wants to fix any of that? How do the rich get richer fixing that stuff?
                          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

We'll see.

Any chamber controlled by the GOP might as well not even convene, but Hillary plus the Senate can do a fair amount -- if nothing else they can help the judiciary recover from the last 40 years of wingnut abuse, and undo the Great Unwinding of voting, worker, and reproductive rights.

Budget bills and active legislation are dead unless and until the Democrats get their act together in the House. I've read we will need to win the net House vote by 7M votes just to get back to 50% due to a variety of factors, not all of which are nefarious. That could happen if the bottom falls out with Apricot Adolf, but don't hold your breath -- the GOP seems to be holding serve in AZ and GA which means no wave is coming.
                            Tangerine Tyrant?
                            Code:
                            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                            Originally posted by SanTropez
                            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                            Originally posted by Kepler
                            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                              Tangerine Tyrant?
                              Pumpkin bumpkin
                              Cornell University

Comment

Ochre Orge?
                                Code:
                                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                                Originally posted by SanTropez
                                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                                Originally posted by Kepler
                                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Working...
                                X