Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 299

Thread: An Experiment: A Literal Political Thread

  1. #41
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    203

    Re: An Experiment: A Literal Political Thread

    The obvious answer is to not allow doubleplus ungood opinions to be heard, in order to prevent the wicked thoughts from entering the minds of the feeble. It's for your own good, after all.

    Now onward to progress. Or something.

  2. #42
    Anti-Semantic Brenthoven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    110,363

    Re: An Experiment: A Literal Political Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Armadillo View Post
    The obvious answer is to not allow doubleplus ungood opinions to be heard, in order to prevent the wicked thoughts from entering the minds of the feeble. It's for your own good, after all.

    Now onward to progress. Or something.
    We must not allow people who have different opinions to be heard, apparently. Sorta sounds like a certain candidate. Donald T, to protect his anonymity, feels the same way.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  3. #43
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    203

    Re: An Experiment: A Literal Political Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    We must not allow people who have different opinions to be heard, apparently. Sorta sounds like a certain candidate. Donald T, to protect his anonymity, feels the same way.
    Are you talking about D. Trump? Yeah, what a silly little man.
    Last edited by Armadillo; 08-03-2016 at 10:01 PM. Reason: I said a naughty.

  4. #44
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    21,491

    Re: An Experiment: A Literal Political Thread

    I'll listen to logic and science. I don't have much time for opinions that simply ignore established science and fact.

  5. #45
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    203

    Re: An Experiment: A Literal Political Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    I'll listen to logic and science. I don't have much time for opinions that simply ignore established science and fact.
    That's not what you've said, though. Or are you denying that there are robust debates on certain issues within the scientific community?

  6. #46
    Anti-Semantic Brenthoven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    110,363

    Re: An Experiment: A Literal Political Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    I'll listen to logic and science. I don't have much time for opinions that simply ignore established science and fact.
    Just saying:

    PHOEBE: Uh-oh. It's Scary Scientist Man.
    ROSS: Ok, Phoebe, this is it. In this briefcase I carry actual scientific facts. A briefcase of facts, if you will. Some of these fossils are over 200 million years old.
    PHOEBE: Ok, look, before you even start, I'm not denying evolution, ok, I'm just saying that it's one of the possibilities.
    ROSS: It's the only possibility, Phoebe.
    PHOEBE: Ok, Ross, could you just open your mind like this much, ok? Wasn't there a time when the brightest minds in the world believed that the world was flat? And, up until like what, 50 years ago, you all thought the atom was the smallest thing, until you split it open, and this like, whole mess of crap came out. Now, are you telling me that you are so unbelievably arrogant that you can't admit that there's a teeny tiny possibility that you could be wrong about this?
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  7. #47
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    21,491

    Re: An Experiment: A Literal Political Thread

    Wrong about what? That the earth isn't warming at a cataclysmic rate? Or that the earth is older than 6,000 years?

  8. #48
    Anti-Semantic Brenthoven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    110,363

    Re: An Experiment: A Literal Political Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Wrong about what? That the earth isn't warming at a cataclysmic rate? Or that the earth is older than 6,000 years?
    Maybe. I'm not disagreeing with you on the above, but others might. And if you actually read my previous post, there IS a possibility that we are both wrong.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  9. #49
    Old Dirty Basterd Shirtless Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    16,067

    Re: An Experiment: A Literal Political Thread

    I think this fits right in with the wrong idea issue. Brent is right, you can't directly fight wrong ideas with just the truth. You have to understand why the wrong believe it's to understand how to adjust the belief:
    http://www.npr.org/sections/ed/2016/...-wrong-answers

    Ps, this devolved a bit from what I hope to see here

  10. #50
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    203

    Re: An Experiment: A Literal Political Thread

    "Shut up, idiot" is not often used as a successful rebuttal. Matter of fact, arrogance and condescension usually work to push the people you're trying to convince away from your positions.

  11. #51
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    21,491

    Re: An Experiment: A Literal Political Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    Maybe. I'm not disagreeing with you on the above, but others might. And if you actually read my previous post, there IS a possibility that we are both wrong.
    Yes, there is a possibility, but there's also a possibility I could throw a tennis ball at the wall only to have the molecules rearrange themselves to allow the ball to pass trough the wall and rematerialize on the other side. But it hardly seems like that's worth talking about.

  12. #52
    Anti-Semantic Brenthoven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    110,363

    Re: An Experiment: A Literal Political Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    I think this fits right in with the wrong idea issue. Brent is right, you can't directly fight wrong ideas with just the truth. You have to understand why the wrong believe it's to understand how to adjust the belief:
    http://www.npr.org/sections/ed/2016/...-wrong-answers

    Ps, this devolved a bit from what I hope to see here
    I'll approach this from a different way. For many years, people used "science" to say that non-whites were inferior. MLK, being the obvious choice (and easiest choice) voiced his radically different opinion on that matter, which led to progress. Without communication, there is no progress. There may be a lot of bumps in the road, but eventually, progress is made.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  13. #53
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    21,491

    Re: An Experiment: A Literal Political Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    I think this fits right in with the wrong idea issue. Brent is right, you can't directly fight wrong ideas with just the truth. You have to understand why the wrong believe it's to understand how to adjust the belief:
    http://www.npr.org/sections/ed/2016/...-wrong-answers

    Ps, this devolved a bit from what I hope to see here
    That's fine for teachers, it shouldn't need to be for policymakers. They should be able to take the scientific consensus on an issue and act on it.

  14. #54
    Old Dirty Basterd Shirtless Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    16,067

    Re: An Experiment: A Literal Political Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    That's fine for teachers, it shouldn't need to be for policymakers. They should be able to take the scientific consensus on an issue and act on it.
    I thought we were talking about our discussion, between facebook, the boards and general conversation. You're not going to convince a denier with just facts, you need to understand the root of why they won't accepts onetime to truly understand how to open their mind.

  15. #55
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    21,491

    Re: An Experiment: A Literal Political Thread

    I've given up hope of convincing the antiscience crowd. They simply ignore fact and believe what the EIB deity in the soundbox tells them.

  16. #56
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    203

    Re: An Experiment: A Literal Political Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    I've given up hope of convincing the antiscience crowd. They simply ignore fact and believe what the EIB deity in the soundbox tells them.
    Something something arrogance something condescension something something idiots blah blah I am so smart.

  17. #57
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    21,491

    Re: An Experiment: A Literal Political Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Armadillo View Post
    Something something arrogance something condescension something something idiots blah blah I am so smart.
    Herp derp daderp.

    Sorry Kepler. I broke your little ships.

  18. #58
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    203

    Re: An Experiment: A Literal Political Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Herp derp daderp.

    Sorry Kepler. I broke your little ships.
    I'm sorry, was I inaccurate? Your last post was DRIPPING with contempt.

    As for policy, what scientific principles would you apply to things like the budget, debt, foreign policy, and to spice it up a bit, gun control?

  19. #59
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    21,491

    Re: An Experiment: A Literal Political Thread

    If you want to get sciencey on gun control, places like Britain and Australia provide some pretty stark case studies on it.

    Budget and debt are easy, jack up taxes big time and cut spending. No more 1-10=-9. Foreign policy is also not very complicated to deal with. Elect Hillary and continue the Obama doctrine. Else we could elect a possibly demented candidate who doesn't know the difference between Georgia and Georgia.

    And my last post was dripping in contempt because climate deniers deserve nothing more than the contempt of anyone who believes in science and the consensus of the best climate minds on earth. And well, decades of data that support their theories.

  20. #60
    Anti-Semantic Brenthoven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    110,363

    Re: An Experiment: A Literal Political Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    If you want to get sciencey on gun control, places like Britain and Australia provide some pretty stark case studies on it.

    Budget and debt are easy, jack up taxes big time and cut spending. No more 1-10=-9. Foreign policy is also not very complicated to deal with. Elect Hillary and continue the Obama doctrine. Else we could elect a possibly demented candidate who doesn't know the difference between Georgia and Georgia.

    And my last post was dripping in contempt because climate deniers deserve nothing more than the contempt of anyone who believes in science and the consensus of the best climate minds on earth. And well, decades of data that support their theories.
    Australia is a different animal, as is Hawaii. They are islands. Easier to control incoming things.

    As for debt, yes that is a good answer, but anytime you say you're going to raise taxes, listen to the outcry. People want their stuff, but don't want to pay for it. Hard to pass in this country.

    Finally, as for foreign policy, how many times has Iran been friends, and then enemies, to us? Russia has even "switched" sides a couple times in my lifetime, and in history. Just depends on the leadership in those countries, too.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •