An Experiment: A Literal Political Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: An Experiment: A Literal Political Thread

Some of y'all have raised a very interesting question, whether you intended to or not....

Suppose you are Russia. You have a choice:
    (a) No sanctions, oil at $25 / barrel
    (b) Continue sanctions, oil at $75 / barrel
    Which do you choose?

I'd have to do more research to find out how much sanctions are costing Russia compared to how much oil they are selling. There likely is some breakeven point at which they would be neutral.

It seems like, implicitly, most people here have assumed that Russia, by "supporting" Trump's election, would choose (a), while I implicitly assumed that they would choose (b).

Trusting that Trump would remove sanctions would be a gamble of sorts: maybe he would, maybe he wouldn't.
    Knowing that Trump would increase US oil production was much more certain.

I doubt Russia really cared very much who won the election, actually.....
    Last edited by FreshFish; 06-02-2017, 12:31 PM.
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
      Some of y'all have raised a very interesting question, whether you intended to or not....

Artists's conception of this post.

OTOH, I've never seen someone actually snivel online, so good work!
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
        Trump has a reputation as a tough negotiator
        Trump is the only person I've heard say this. It's like bragging about how big your dick is, unless an ex-lover confirms it, it's probably not true.

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
          Trump is the only person I've heard say this. It's like bragging about how big your dick is, unless an ex-lover confirms it, it's probably not true.
          You either negotiate with him, or his lawyers take over, from what little I know. So in a sense...yeah, kinda staring down a barrel at times....
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
            You either negotiate with him, or his lawyers take over, from what little I know. So in a sense...yeah, kinda staring down a barrel at times....
            Well he caved big time on his budget negotiations

Comment

Well he caved big time on his budget negotiations
              Seems like the US Government has better lawyers.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

An evaluation of Trump's skills in bed, er, in the conference room. But probably also in bed.
                Cornell University
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• I guess I'm putting​ this here because I'm embarrassed, disappointed and want non-snarky discussion but as someone who reluctantly voted for Trump and was hopeful things would change from the standard DC politics, I'm thoroughly embarrassed by our president.

Comment

• Originally posted by cF[Authentic] View Post
                    I guess I'm putting​ this here because I'm embarrassed, disappointed and want non-snarky discussion but as someone who reluctantly voted for Trump and was hopeful things would change from the standard DC politics, I'm thoroughly embarrassed by our president.
                    Not to be a dick, but how did you not see this coming? I really don't understand the thought process that would make someone choose trump over Clinton. I honestly am curious.

Comment

• Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                      Not to be a dick, but how did you not see this coming? I really don't understand the thought process that would make someone choose trump over Clinton. I honestly am curious.
                      The thought of change. Clinton was the same things that are always wrong with Washington. Not to mention significant policy differences.

Comment

Best case, and while I didn't vote, the following is what I was hoping for: a shakeup of the gub'ment, while getting nothing done because no one likes Trump and would stonewall anything he tried to do. I was not rooting for Trump, but I was also praying that Hillary wouldn't get elected.

In hindsight, I should have known better. I was wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                          Reasons to doubt that:

1. Trump is a longtime business partner with the Russians. He's a known quantity.
                          2. Because of his business interests, Trump may need things from the Russians. That gives them leverage.
                          3. Trump may be implicated with shady dealings with the oligarchs, who are only criminals who happened to capture a government.
                          4. Trump hates NATO and will threaten European-American relations. Good for the Russians.
                          5. Trump hates the Muzzies. Putin hates them, too.
                          6. Trump's ineptitude and general loathsomeness will weaken America's image abroad. Good for the Russians.
                          7. Trump hates the Chinese. Good for the Russians.
                          8. Trump's carelessness could trigger war, driving energy prices through the roof.
                          9. Finally, Trump can be paid off.

In contrast I can't think of any reason for the Russians to prefer Hillary.
                          Not-so-randomly selecting this post to quote, because what thread doesn't need more Kepler?

This discussion should begin and end with Secretary (ptui!) Tillerson. If you think the Russians were in any way disappointed by his selection or were thinking, "Gosh, think of the much better choice we could have had if Hillary were president..." then you are clinically bonkers*.

*another symptom of which is thinking that the extra development of US oil/gas resources under Trump will have any impact on world energy prices.
                          If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                            what thread doesn't need more Kepler?
                            The secret sex pix ones.
                            Cornell University

Comment

Oh dear
                              Code:
                              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                              Originally posted by SanTropez
                              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                              Originally posted by Kepler
                              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

How many of the people who are outraged about "too much money in politics" were also concerned with how much money was raised from outside Georgia to fund the Democrat candidate's campaign for the 6th Congressional district?

Is it really "money in politics" that bothers them? or is it merely the source of some of the funds that bothers them?

From the New York Times:

Most of the itemized contributions to Mr. Ossoff were from large Democratic states like California and New York. Just 14 percent came from Georgia, compared with 56 percent of Ms. Handel’s contributions.
                                Last edited by FreshFish; 06-21-2017, 12:22 PM.
                                "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Working...
                                X