An Experiment: A Literal Political Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: An Experiment: A Literal Political Thread

Apparently other people do agree that Trump's message resonates: no one has disagreed. they have only said they despise the messenger.

I find it hard to imagine how anyone with eyes and a brain could disagree that vested special interests have hijacked our government and are using it for their own self-enrichment at the expense of the rest of us.

what to do about it, or who to do it, is a different matter. it seems that all of the disagreement comes on this latter point, none on the former.
    Last edited by FreshFish; 09-16-2016, 05:34 PM.
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

It's telling that Fish is repelled by Trump's "bombast", rather than Trump's blatant appeal to racism, or his well-established cheating of business partners through bankruptcy, or his habit of evading taxes, or his serial philandering.

And yet, it's Hillary who is the "morally depraved" candidate in his mind.

Comment

Trump wants to change the status quo. I can agree with him on that.

His methods are friggin' scary. But change is change, so many are willing to pay whatever price it is to change the political machine, which I don't agree with.

Basically put, he's out to f* things up. But his way isn't a good way. It's just a different way. And people are willing to do that. I'm all about f*ing things up, b/c we know what we're going to get with Hill. I just don't like how Trump is going about it.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

What are we going to get with Hillary, Brent?

Be specific.
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
            What are we going to get with Hillary, Brent?

Be specific.
            The same old political machine we've seen from both parties for generations. Some false promises, sprinkled with some waffling (depending on which way the wind blows, and which type of money comes in from whatever industries), etc.

I've said before, as a political machine, she's outstanding. Can work the system, can somehow maneuver around any scandal, all that jazz. It's a difficult road, and she's done it. However.....many people (like me) are sick of that sh*. If someone can come along and somehow change it, yes! Unfortunately, this time around, it happens to be Trump.

And btw, you can remove your lips from Hill's arse anytime now.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

One last thought, I'll be missing from here for a couple days:

The "us" vs "them" is tiring. It should be "we." WE all want improvements to this country. We have differing ideas on how to go about it. So let's talk and find a middle ground, rather than an "either/or" scenario. Let's compromise. If someone has a differing opinion, find the reasons why. It may offend someone, sure, but listen to them. Everyone may still walk away and disagree with the other's opinion, but they may come to an understanding of why they feel that way.

To relate it to hockey, it's the obnoxious fan vs the hated but respectable fan. Right now, the majority of both parties are obnoxious. Let's get the hated but respectable fans in there, and change the mood. Discuss, debate, even have a heated argument, then go share a beer afterwards. *shrug*

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
                Apparently other people do agree that Trump's message resonates: no one has disagreed. they have only said they despise the messenger.

I find it hard to imagine how anyone with eyes and a brain could disagree that vested special interests have hijacked our government and are using it for their own self-enrichment at the expense of the rest of us.

what to do about it, or who to do it, is a different matter. it seems that all of the disagreement comes on this latter point, none on the former.
                Of course I agree with your middle paragraph. Duh. I also agree with your last paragraph - lots of serious, intelligent people disagree on what to do about it. However, your first paragraph jumps to the conclusion that trying to "do something about it" is Trump's message. It's not. Trump's message is hate, usurping power, and bullying people weaker than himself or his country. He in no way, shape, or form cares a whit about whether special interests have too much influence in DC. I literally have no recollection of him ever saying anything about that. I do, however, remember his pandering to the NRA, etc.
                If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

With the first debate coming up on Monday, what does each candidate need to do to "win" that debate?

It seems to me that, for Ms Clinton, she needs to put forward a positive reason to vote for her, and not merely against Trump. it seems like most of her campaign so far has been variations on, "Trump is too scary to give access to the nuclear codes." or "his campaign is too 'dark'." [aside: is she running for President, or is she acting as Gary Johnson's campaign manager: it's not enough to drive people away from Trump; you also need to get them to vote for you too.]

For Trump, it seems that he needs to display a cool head, and a command of facts, figures, and nuances of issues. He's done pretty well lately reading from a teleprompter; how well will he manage when he has to think on his feet?

It's been suggested that Clinton should try to "bait" Trump into losing his cool. I'm not sure that's a good strategy for her: suppose she tries it, and it doesn't work...does she then become frustrated and lose her cool??

Even if that is not the case, her early campaign has been "it's time for a woman to be President" or "now it's her turn, finally." there's been plenty of rhetoric from people saying "she's the most qualified person ever to run for President ever" that then provides no descriptions of any qualifications whatsoever other than that she was Secretary of State. Given the state of the world these days, that may or may not be a good qualification, she needs to expand on that with some detail.

Trump can attack her record as Secretary of State: how did that "reset" with Russia work out, for the Crimea and for Ukraine? How exactly was it that some youtube video inspired a spontaneous demonstration in Libya? she needs to be prepared either to respond (not what I would recommend however) or how to talk past it in a way that seems responsive while it is actually changing the subject.

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

You had me until the second to last paragraph. Everything before that was eerily agreeable. The second to last paragraph is gibberish. The last paragraph has a few good points and is tinseled with "BENGHAZI!!!!!!!" gibberish.

Though, if trump screams BENGHAAAAAZZZZZIIIIIII and Clinton doesn't have a good answer, that would be her biggest gaffe.
                    Code:
                    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                    Originally posted by SanTropez
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                    Originally posted by Kepler
                    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

With the first debate coming up on Monday, what does each candidate need to do to "win" that debate?
                      Trump needs to just keep on doing what he's doing, it's working. Keep turning the subject back to how wonderful he is and how terrible everybody else is. When he's talking about the others he has a free pass because who doesn't like to complain about the government or talk about how the world is going to hell in a handbasket? He has an easy path -- just keep up the same act that he's been doing for 40 years. I don't see how he can fail, frankly. He only has to be himself.

Hillary -- this path is hard. She can't bury him with facts -- Gore buried Dubya with facts and we saw what good that did him. She can't bait him -- he's perpetually baited, and people like it. Her best bet is to do to him what Christie did to Rubio. It can be done because Trump is every bit as scripted as Rubio, his "script" just happens to be free form. But it always comes back to the simple message: they are either stupid or cheating you. I'm the best and I don't need to cheat you, I'm rich. Hillary needs a way to do this to Trump. Take his script from him and reframe it as the lying, evading scam it is.

How do you beat a flim flam man? Take his words away.
                      Last edited by Kepler; 09-20-2016, 09:27 AM.
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Expectations for the debate.

--------Hillary's Floor is here. If she doesn't reach it she loses.

-------Trump floor is here. If he reaches it he wins.
                        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                          You had me until the second to last paragraph. Everything before that was eerily agreeable. The second to last paragraph is gibberish. The last paragraph has a few good points and is tinseled with "BENGHAZI!!!!!!!" gibberish.

Though, if trump screams BENGHAAAAAZZZZZIIIIIII and Clinton doesn't have a good answer, that would be her biggest gaffe.
                          It is not about "Benghazi" at all, it is about the phony narrative. It has nothing to do with whether Ambassador Stevens was abandoned in his time of need or not; it is merely about her telling Chelsea in a private email that it was a terrorist attack while at the very same time telling the public that it was a spontaneous demonstration in response to an offensive video.

I doubt Trump would try to go after her about Benghazi, she's already scripted for that.

Basically, so far Clinton has been reactive, Trump has been setting the agenda and she has been responding. She needs to disregard him entirely and speak directly to the people about why they should actually want her. Trying to tear Trump down would be a losing strategy for her (imho): I can just see him shrugging his shoulders and saying, "is that all you've got? pfft." and then turning back to the cameras and talking about how great things will be once he is in office.

Comment

It is not about "Benghazi" at all, it is about the phony narrative. It has nothing to do with whether Ambassador Stevens was abandoned in his time of need or not; it is merely about her telling Chelsea in a private email that it was a terrorist attack while at the very same time telling the public that it was a spontaneous demonstration in response to an offensive video.

I doubt Trump would try to go after her about Benghazi, she's already scripted for that.

Basically, so far Clinton has been reactive, Trump has been setting the agenda and she has been responding. She needs to disregard him entirely and speak directly to the people about why they should actually want her. Trying to tear Trump down would be a losing strategy for her (imho): I can just see him shrugging his shoulders and saying, "is that all you've got? pfft." and then turning back to the cameras and talking about how great things will be once he is in office.
                            Jeezus. He can't go after her about Benghazi because there is nothing to go after. That is now crystal clear to all but those who are in desperate need for a conspiracy to rationalize their support for Trump. Benghazi was and continues to be a sham show, and most of the world knows it.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                              Jeezus. He can't go after her about Benghazi because there is nothing to go after. That is now crystal clear to all but those who are in desperate need for a conspiracy to rationalize their support for Trump. Benghazi was and continues to be a sham show, and most of the world knows it.
                              All except the Republican Party and it's voters. Which is very close to half the electorate.
                              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                                Expectations for the debate.

--------Hillary's Floor is here. If she doesn't reach it she loses.

-------Trump floor is here. If he reaches it he wins.
                                I have to agree with Scooby here.

Hillary needs to nail it.
                                Trump needs to not sh* himself; quite literally.

Comment

Working...
                                X