Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: An Experiment: A Literal Political Thread

Re: An Experiment: A Literal Political Thread

Quote Originally Posted by FreshFish View Post
    How is the sudden rush to destroy monuments and statues of figures from the losing side of The War Between the States any different than the Taliban destroying a Buddhist shrine or ISIS destroying Christian chapels?

"Oh, we are so offended by the very sight of these things that we cannot allow them to stand any longer; it is just fine for us to impose our world view on anyone who dare disagree with us because our cause is righteous and our hearts are pure."
    Apples, meet Oranges.
    Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Glass at 0%: Another First Round Exit.

How is the sudden rush to destroy monuments and statues of figures from the losing side of The War Between the States any different than the Taliban destroying a Buddhist shrine or ISIS destroying Christian chapels?

"Oh, we are so offended by the very sight of these things that we cannot allow them to stand any longer; it is just fine for us to impose our world view on anyone who dare disagree with us because our cause is righteous and our hearts are pure."
    Interesting...but not so sure I agree with the analogy. I'd say that ISIS destroying Christian chapels is similar to the US (a predominantly Christian country) destroying Mosques. Very few Americans agree with this...and it would take an act of American extremism based on societal norms for it to occur.

Religious buildings serve the purpose for themselves. Monuments and the naming of parks/schools serve signal of what society reveres. And in the end, I believe many if not most of the 'removal' efforts are for the purpose of movement to alternative locations - war museums, etc. - where their representation can better match societal preferences (as to many, important figures but trators).
    Go Gophers!

I'd been waiting for someone to make this asinine comparison since the day this became the controversy de jour. I knew it would happen sooner or later, and here we are. Color me shocked at who is making it, too.

Quote Originally Posted by 5mn_Major View Post
    Monuments and the naming of parks/schools serve signal of what society reveres. And in the end, I believe many if not most of the 'removal' efforts are for the purpose of movement to alternative locations - war museums, etc. - where their representation can better match societal preferences (as to many, important figures but trators).

um, in the late 1930s and early 1940s, the German government massacred millions of Jewish people in concentration camps, yet if you visit Germany today, you can go to a concentration camp turned into a museum, not because they "revere" it but merely because they accept it as part of their history: they don't want to pretend it never happened, they keep it as a reminder of the need to be vigilant so that it never happens again.

When apartheid ended in South Africa, the majority blacks did not go about tearing down statues and monuments, they held Truth Commissions so that they could take a clear sober unstinting look at what people did so that there could be closure, forgiveness, and the start of societal healing.

That's how a mature people deal with shameful episodes in their histories, they don't try to erase it from view, or tuck it away hidden out of sight, they acknowledge it squarely, head on.
    "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Lucia Apologist

When I was in Germany, I couldn't believe how many hitler statues they had put up since WWII. Astonishing.

Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    When I was in Germany, I couldn't believe how many hitler statues they had put up since WWII. Astonishing.
    Mountain Dew. All over the place. Thanks.
    Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Glass at 0%: Another First Round Exit.

So you're saying you think the Buddha is equivalent to slave-owning traitors directly responsible for the deaths of millions of Americans? That's a real question that I'd love your answer to. (Same question, substitute Christianity for Buddha.)

Not that logic is something with which you're tremendously familiar but logically there's far more equivalence in asking why we built a monument to Robert E. Lee in Virginia but didn't build one to Admiral Yamamoto in Hawaii. Both fought AGAINST the United States in major wars, both are responsible for the deaths of thousands of Americans, both caused untold millions of dollars of damage to US property. So why a monument to one and not the other? In fact, if you really want to get logical, Lee was worse, at least Yamamoto wasn't' also a traitor.

Statue of Erwin Rommel in Central Park? No?
    I went home with a waitress the way I always do
    How was I to know she was with the russians, too?

On the one hand, blatant violation of the thread norm. On the other, Fish deserved no less for his transparently self-serving rationalized twaddle.

For the 20th time, Fish. You can get away with your slo-pitch stuff on Red State or PJ where the IQ is the GOP mean. But you are in well over your head, here.

Now... I believe that's your intellectual dignity about 220 yards up the fairway where dxm drove it.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

"The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

That's how a mature people deal with shameful episodes in their histories, they don't try to erase it from view, or tuck it away hidden out of sight, they acknowledge it squarely, head on.
    umm, you are aware that almost all of the Confederate monuments were built AFTER the war, right? Southerners didn't acknowledge their dark, shameful past, they built monuments to it.

Again, logic, not your friend.
    I went home with a waitress the way I always do
    How was I to know she was with the russians, too?

Quote Originally Posted by E.J. Smith View Post
    umm, you are aware that almost all of the Confederate monuments were built AFTER the war, right? Southerners didn't acknowledge their dark, shameful past, they built monuments to it.

Again, logic, not your friend.
    And conveniently enough, many were constructed during the Civil Rights Era.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Boosh Factor (4/04/17): 5.242424

Just checked this thread for the first time in forever to see this. Never change FF...

Lucia Apologist

Is there a liberal policy position where you hear the phrase, "Today is not the time to talk about X"?

Here ya go Kep. When we were in grade school.....

http://www.claremont.org/crb/article...b7UvPk.twitter
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    4 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16,??? 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Is there a liberal policy position where you hear the phrase, "Today is not the time to talk about X"?
    Closest thing I could think of is when a bad abortion doctor like Kermit Gosnell gets caught.

I am still sometimes sympathetic to anti-abortion arguments when stuff like that comes up.

Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    Closest thing I could think of is when a bad abortion doctor like Kermit Gosnell gets caught.

I am still sometimes sympathetic to anti-abortion arguments when stuff like that comes up.
    Except anti abortion laws get talked about and passed all the farking time. What was the last noteworthy gun control law? The Brady bill?

Quote Originally Posted by unofan View Post
    Except anti abortion laws get talked about and passed all the farking time. What was the last noteworthy gun control law? The Brady bill?
    And most anti abortion laws get struck down in the courts.

Yep. All for life until they're born, but if they grow up to commit a crime, fry their ***. Or if they get caught in the crossfire of a madman, there's nothing we can do to prevent that.

Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    Here ya go Kep. When we were in grade school.....

http://www.claremont.org/crb/article...b7UvPk.twitter
    I got about ten paragraphs in when the pure stench of this dreck overwhelmed me. It's as if somebody warmed over a think piece from NR written in 1975. All of this is the CW of the people who thought Ronald Reagan was transformative. Evidently, they still exist, and they have learned, literally, nothing in 40+ years.

Check out his other "contributions." He's just another one of the Useful Idiots of the Weekly Standard set, dutifully regurgitating righty talking points to try to give conservatives an intellectual fig leaf to cover their empty ideology. He is the antithesis of this thread.

At least Buckley was bright.
    Last edited by Kepler; 10-09-2017 at 08:49 PM.

"The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    And most anti abortion laws get struck down in the courts.
    Still sounds like we're able to talk about it, unlike gun control.

Still sounds like we're able to talk about it, unlike gun control.
    This is the literal thread. We can, legally, talk about gun control.

Sincerely,

Your Thread HOA

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970

Thread Information