Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: An Experiment: A Literal Political Thread

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    The flag/vet worship started at about 7pm on 9/11/01?? Or does it go back to Kuwait??
    November 4, 1979. Iran hostages. That's when the derp really kicked into high gear, and the networks tripped all over their dicks competing for who loves Our Brave Lads more and how the flag was sniff the most moving lovely symbol in the universe sniff.

Bumblef-ckwittery is only 37 years old. It just seems eternal.
    Last edited by Kepler; 10-10-2017, 12:49 PM.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      November 4, 1979. Iran hostages. That's when the derp really kicked into high gear, and the networks tripped all over their dicks competing for who loves Our Brave Lads more and how the flag was sniff the most moving lovely symbol in the universe sniff.

That's the Department of Symbolism and the ribbons.
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
        That's the Department of Symbolism and the ribbons.
        "A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon." - Napoleon
        Cornell University
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by kepler View Post
          november 4, 1979. Iran hostages. That's when the derp really kicked into high gear, and the networks tripped all over their dicks competing for who loves our brave lads more and how the flag was sniff the most moving lovely symbol in the universe sniff.

wwii, imo.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
            wwii, imo.
            You're not familiar with how poorly American Vets were treated after Vietnam I take it?
            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
              You're not familiar with how poorly American Vets were treated after Vietnam I take it?
              I am. I was thinking all the rah-rah stuff of WWII, including quite a few propaganda films.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                I am. I was thinking all the rah-rah stuff of WWII, including quite a few propaganda films.
                Watch "Best Years if Our Lives"
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

I watched one on Netflix about how the Japanese were portrayed in that era, and it disgusted me how many distorted truths, if not flat out lies, there were. I wish I could remember the name of it.

Comment

Much of the patriotism during WW2 was legitimate. It wasn't the store-bought marketing of the Reagan Era and afterwards. There was plenty of government force-fed rah rah, but it wasn't the truly disgusting brand we've seen before and especially since.

There's always been propaganda --the WW1 propaganda was hamfisted and the government rammed it in and curtailed freedom of speech and assembly because anti-war was conflated with anti-aristocracy. But in WW2 we really were all in the same boat. It wasn't just billionaires sending the Poors to die for their marketshare like the other 20th century wars, and it wasn't the herpa-derp nationalism of Manifest Destiny like the 19th century wars.

The TV-Industrial Complex stuck its marketing tongue into the as-s crack of the military in 1979 and it's never removed it.
                    Last edited by Kepler; 10-10-2017, 04:39 PM.
                    Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                      I watched one on Netflix about how the Japanese were portrayed in that era, and it disgusted me how many distorted truths, if not flat out lies, there were. I wish I could remember the name of it.
                      Was that about the Nisei? That's another really loathsome period in American history.

Like any empire, we have our pogroms, too. Dump is trying to fire another up as we speak, which is why it's so important to sabotage the machine. Every day we stop it advancing is that much less time we all have to spend in hell for our sins.
                      Cornell University

Comment

That sounds right; I remember lines also about how "those sneaky Japanese soldiers are trying to kill our brave hero Americans" etc. Looking back, it was so blatant.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                          Was that about the Nisei? That's another really loathsome period in American history.

Like any empire, we have our pogroms, too. Dump is trying to fire another up as we speak, which is why it's so important to sabotage the machine. Every day we stop it advancing is that much less time we all have to spend in hell for our sins.
                          I think it was a Capra movie in the "Why We Fight" series. It was full Yellow Peril.

The movie "The Purple Heart" about the trial of the Doolittle Raiders (made during the war so much was fictionalized) had the stereotypical perfidious Japanese.
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                            That sounds right; I remember lines also about how "those sneaky Japanese soldiers are trying to kill our brave hero Americans" etc. Looking back, it was so blatant.
                            The Pacific War was a no rules, let's see who could be more brutal than the other guy war. Soldiers were collecting ears and heads of dead Japanese.
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I'm going to throw this question in here, primarily because it's not intended to start a pizzing contest or degenerate into issues on gun control, etc...

Events like the one in Las Vegas, in my mind, are simply a version of murder/suicide. It's really no different than when a guy goes home and kills his wife or kids and then offs himself. Murder/suicide seems to fall into three broad subsets based upon the relationship, or lack of relationship, of the parties. You have the "family" type relationship where the persons involved might be family or in a personal relationship, or a personal relationship has been sought but denied. You have the "business" type most frequently demonstrated in workplace shootings by unhappy employees or former employees, but can also involve business partners, etc... Finally, we have the "stranger" subset of murder/suicide like Las Vegas.

But here is my questions. Have there been any legitimate studies done that address the process that leads to a murder/suicide? In other words, is the suicide a byproduct of the murder where the shooter simply decides he doesn't want to face the consequences of his actions, or is horrified at what he's done? Is the suicide really the primary objective, which then somehow causes the shooter to think he needs to take the family member, the business associate or some random strangers with him, and the murder becomes the byproduct? Or is it something else entirely?

I have no psychology or psychiatry training whatsoever, but it has always seemed to me these start out as suicides, especially the stranger shootings. There is no specific anger the shooter could have against random people at a concert. But that's part of the reason I was inquiring about good studies on the issue, because with relationship (family, business) murder/suicides there is certainly the possibility or even likelihood of anger on the part of the shooter directed at the victims. To me, suicides have always seemed a cry for help or attention, with the splashier large stranger murder/suicides just that much louder a cry.
                              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

As long as Harvey Weinstein was producing hit movies, everyone somehow managed to look the other way or rationalize away his sexual misbehavior. Once he was no longer a "power player," it became safe to turn on him, once enough news was out there to validate the rumors. Then suddenly everyone become eager to demonstrate that they really truly didn't know how bad it was. (yeah, right....)

I wonder if the same thing is starting to happen to the Clintons now. The Washington Post and The Hill have been running highly critical stories lately.
                                "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Working...
                                X