X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMaine Black Bears, 2016 2017 season thread

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
    Don't you think other teams want a good goalie as well? It's a little easier said than done. It's a miracle Maine has two good goalies lined up now and we should be thrilled about that.
    Neither one has played a game yet in Div.1 Hockey, so be careful to label them STAR's before they even hit the ice or make a save...nice "IF" one or both can rekindle Maine's past in net. But history with RG's goalie recruits have been dismal to this point.

Comment

Face it guys, this team needs a complete overhaul from the top down. I don't see anyone on Maine right now who even has a remote shot at the NHL, aside from Byron or (maybe) Vesey.

Even with a thorough housecleaning and finding a good coach, we're looking at at least 2-3 years until Maine has a shot at the NCAAs, and probably it'll take years and years more than that to even come close.

I miss Timmy!

Comment

First game I've seen in person since March 2014. This team is devoid.

They're hard working, they're earnest. I didn't notice one guy that appeared to have hands. They didn't have the puck at all, they didn't know what to do with it the few times they did.

Rob was great in the first period. Once BU got the GWG it was over, they're a team that seemed to sleep walk and pounced when they smelled some blood. Can't blame them, though I can't say I was overly impressed with any of their talent either.

Overall talent level seemed down from 3-5 years ago, never mind 10.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
        43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
        104-47-14 (.669) in that time
        3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Maine played hard, thats the only good thing you can say about Maines play. BU has talent up the wazoo, Maine doesn't. End of story
          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
            Maine played hard, thats the only good thing you can say about Maines play. BU has talent up the wazoo, Maine doesn't. End of story
            But at least Maine's AD was just given a brandy new four year contract for all his great work over the past couple years... Women's basketball and softball have produced at least....

Comment

Originally posted by keepdachange View Post
              But at least Maine's AD was just given a brandy new four year contract for all his great work over the past couple years... Women's basketball and softball have produced at least....
              At the end of his contract Maine could very well be a D3 school.

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
                At the end of his contract Maine could very well be a D3 school.
                Does anyone know what sort of strategic changes the school is looking at? The story on Creech mentioned he has done all sorts of work on that this year and I'm really not sure what kind of changes they would make outside of maybe cutting football.
                Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Is the Maine All Access video stream free? Comcast/xfinity doesn't carry FCS Atlantic anymore.
                  BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
                    Is the Maine All Access video stream free? Comcast/xfinity doesn't carry FCS Atlantic anymore.
                    Yes it is.

Comment

Up until it was 2-1 I thought Maine played well, good hustle but not much sustained offensive pressure. Had some scoring chances other teams would have scored on. Clearly in the 3rd period they started to slow down and couldn't keep up the pressure that was effective against BU. At this point BU's ability to move the puck around took over, along with some bad Maine play trying to break out of the defensive zone and penalties, same old story here.

It is absolutely clear, to me, that the right coaching change has to happen, not just any change. Do it in a thoughtful planned manner, not by being in a position of desperation and settling for a coach. Maybe even the AD has to pay what it takes. Easy things to say!! With Creech here for four more years we shall see if hockey continues to be used as the cash cow (which will kill it for good) or if someone gets serious about it.

I'm not discouraged with the talent level at Maine, we do need to fill a few holes. We just aren't seeing the needed development improvement through the season other teams manage, I don't put that on the players completely. This years freshman class is a good example. These days at the D1 level the differentiation between player skills doesn't seem as much as it used to be. To my elementary level of understanding this game, the difference between winning enough to stay in the mix becomes the system, how well it is executed, and player development. To me this is the coaching part.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthMike View Post
                        Up until it was 2-1 I thought Maine played well, good hustle but not much sustained offensive pressure. Had some scoring chances other teams would have scored on. Clearly in the 3rd period they started to slow down and couldn't keep up the pressure that was effective against BU. At this point BU's ability to move the puck around took over, along with some bad Maine play trying to break out of the defensive zone and penalties, same old story here.

It is absolutely clear, to me, that the right coaching change has to happen, not just any change. Do it in a thoughtful planned manner, not by being in a position of desperation and settling for a coach. Maybe even the AD has to pay what it takes. Easy things to say!! With Creech here for four more years we shall see if hockey continues to be used as the cash cow (which will kill it for good) or if someone gets serious about it.

I'm not discouraged with the talent level at Maine, we do need to fill a few holes. We just aren't seeing the needed development improvement through the season other teams manage, I don't put that on the players completely. This years freshman class is a good example. These days at the D1 level the differentiation between player skills doesn't seem as much as it used to be. To my elementary level of understanding this game, the difference between winning enough to stay in the mix becomes the system, how well it is executed, and player development. To me this is the coaching part.
                        Creech in the fold for 4 more years makes Gendron's job that much easier as Creech stated that the extension given to RG had nothing to do with wins/losses...as he saw a move forward since RG took over from Day 1....ummmm...I guess I either don't see it/don't get it...but the bottom is already here how and when we go up is the question I would ASK Mr. Creech. Tick/tock/tick/tock.............................................. .........................?

Comment

Originally posted by NorthMike View Post
                          Yes it is.
                          Great, thanks.
                          BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

• Looks like Alfond is going to be full or close to it. I have little hope for maine tonight. Hopefully they can keep it close. Looking forward to seeing a third of the world jr team though.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                              Looks like Alfond is going to be full or close to it. I have little hope for maine tonight. Hopefully they can keep it close. Looking forward to seeing a third of the world jr team though.
                              The people who thought Maine was going to get anything out of this series need their heads examined.
                              Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                              Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                                The people who thought Maine was going to get anything out of this series need their heads examined.
                                Pretty sure that no right-headed Maine fan expected even so much as a single point from this weekend... I certainly didn't.

The only sports that carry any weight on a National level right now are football, and a few womens' programs. That's a fact; indisputable.

If I were the AD in Orono, I'd feed those fires, because hockey is going nowhere fast.

Comment

Working...
                                X