X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMaine Black Bears, 2016 2017 season thread

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    That's a point, but Maine really blew it with the Gendron hire; that's when we fell completely off the map. Timmy at least kept Maine within shouting-distance of the NCAAs, at worst.

FWIW, saw New England College tonight, who just beat the U-18 team that beat Maine a couple nights before. Kevin Swallow (Maine '10) has his guys playing smart hockey, and they are a relatively talented team... Red doesn't, and Maine isn't.
    Kevin Swallow was recruited by Tim and had to sit out a year. He was a transfer from Dartmouth. Smart young man and pleased to see him doing well.

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post
      The huge decline in the number of people who care about Maine hockey should be the most terrifying thing for the athletic department.
      This one sentence carries more impact than any other on this thread. I said a long time ago that apathy is the greatest danger for any program, and especially at Maine which relies so much on their fans and community for support. They still have my support, but I have become apathetic about the program. I don't go to games, don't watch or listen to the feeds, hell I don't even check the updates. Why? Hurts to much, as I simply know what the results will be. Until they prove me wrong I will not invest my time or emotion in the product. I had high hopes at the start of the season and went to a couple of games, but this season is another lost one. It now appears clear that the coaching hire was not the answer. I see one more year as the max for Red if the program continues to spiral. A goalie would go a long way in turning the tide, but I am not holding my breath.

I'll retreat back to the shadow and hope for the team to show a pulse again before the season is over.

Comment

Fenways a perfect example. Did anybody go? Wasnt THAT long ago Maine's fanbase couldve made an event like this profitable all by itself. Sad. And bad for the league.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
        43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
        104-47-14 (.669) in that time
        3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Originally posted by BobF View Post
          This one sentence carries more impact than any other on this thread. I said a long time ago that apathy is the greatest danger for any program, and especially at Maine which relies so much on their fans and community for support. They still have my support, but I have become apathetic about the program. I don't go to games, don't watch or listen to the feeds, hell I don't even check the updates. Why? Hurts to much, as I simply know what the results will be. Until they prove me wrong I will not invest my time or emotion in the product. I had high hopes at the start of the season and went to a couple of games, but this season is another lost one. It now appears clear that the coaching hire was not the answer. I see one more year as the max for Red if the program continues to spiral. A goalie would go a long way in turning the tide, but I am not holding my breath.

I'll retreat back to the shadow and hope for the team to show a pulse again before the season is over.
          Well put, especially the part in needing a STUD type goaltender and that the Hire was a misfire. But don't give up, never give up. Painful as you say....

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
            Fenways a perfect example. Did anybody go? Wasnt THAT long ago Maine's fanbase couldve made an event like this profitable all by itself. Sad. And bad for the league.
            Nah, there are 40K seats and having two games distorts the size of the crowd. They will probably get between 15K and 20K in today which is pretty good for four mediocre teams.
            Originally posted by BobbyBrady
            Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
              Well put, especially the part in needing a STUD type goaltender and that the Hire was a misfire. But don't give up, never give up. Painful as you say....
              Two goals off 35 shots last night for Swayman...

Comment

• Couple of nice goals by maine, 2 zip
                I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                  Two goals off 35 shots last night for Swayman...
                  Ok...hopefully he can be the man between the pipes for Maine in the future...we shall see.

Comment

Nice job Maine!
                    I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

When you see a game like that it is baffling why they struggle so much with teams like Colgate and UNH. There really isn't a good reason why Maine isn't at least a .500 team right now.

Comment

Look on the bright side Reds 2-0 at Fenway so if we ever get to the Garden maybe they'll do alright there too

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                        43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                        104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                        3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

I have to give them a bunch of credit today, they came to play...not a Classic game but they played the body and were aggressive much of the game. They looked and played hungry...and what part that was nice to see was they put shots on goal from all over and not shots into the goalie but shots that made him (Huska) work and they put the checks to UConn that frustrated them time and again. Now the real test is how they take this game and go to BU on Friday and play a high powered, star filled team.

Comment

I have to give them a bunch of credit today, they came to play...not a Classic game but they played the body and were aggressive much of the game. They looked and played hungry...and what part that was nice to see was they put shots on goal from all over and not shots into the goalie but shots that made him (Huska) work and they put the checks to UConn that frustrated them time and again. Now the real test is how they take this game and go to BU on Friday and play a high powered, star filled team.
                            I don't think the games next weekend mean very much and I don't expect Maine to get anything out of them. It's the five weekends after where I want to see something. None of those teams are that great and there is no reason if Maine gets even average goaltending they can't give five or six wins out of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                              I don't think the games next weekend mean very much and I don't expect Maine to get anything out of them. It's the five weekends after where I want to see something. None of those teams are that great and there is no reason if Maine gets even average goaltending they can't give five or six wins out of them.
                              What..? Next weekend don't mean much, come on....if they can't play any team with a purpose...such as BU with a team of top notch players then WHY play...why play at all...you play each and every team to beat them. NO MATTER if there #1/#2/ #10/#11 in the Conference. Yes you beat teams you should but you NEVER go into a series and OH WELL we can accept losing...nope. That's what's wrong with this Program and thought process...its ok and move on. That's a Loser's Recipe.

Comment

It was nice to see. I even sat down and watched the 3rd period and enjoyed every moment. Nice effort! Now, can we please start McGovern from here on out. Granted he gives up softies and is inconsistent, but he is also capable of playing like he did Saturday. We do not get anything like that performance from the other netminders.

Comment

Working...
                                X