This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UMaine Black Bears, 2016 2017 season thread

Ok the season hasn't started but the Freshman should be on campus taking a summer class and getting acclimated to Orono.

I think they improve over last season but the bar is pretty low at this point. Goaltending improves, D about the same and I'm counting on freshman to score. probably foolish to think Frosh are going to score but........

Carry on
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Re: UMaine Black Bears, 2016 2017 season thread

Originally posted by walrus View Post
    Ok the season hasn't started but the Freshman should be on campus taking a summer class and getting acclimated to Orono.

I think they improve over last season but the bar is pretty low at this point. Goaltending improves, D about the same and I'm counting on freshman to score. probably foolish to think Frosh are going to score but........

Carry on
    I think your right that there is a whole lot of question-marks again this coming season, and with 18 (counting redshirts players) Freshman/Soph. players on the Roster of 25 at this date...leaves me to believe it will be a roller coaster ride again this season...highs and lows...streaks good and bad...I am going with a overall record not counting the Exhibition game of 11-20-3...and a 10th place finish in Hockey East. Awhile back UMass-Lowell had a Roster filled with Fresh/Soph and ended up winning just 4 games...then the following season Norm Bazin stepped in and took that crew which was more talented then this years Maine squad and took off and have been playing winning hockey since his arrival and with his game plan and recruiting. Trying to stay positive but everything points in lumps and bumps with a mix a good(I hope!).

Comment

Carry on
      I agree with all three, the last one will be what decides how successful Maine is this year. A couple things that have me hopeful for improvement over last year are an easier schedule and more depth. I think having the first couple weekends at home gives Maine a much better chance of getting off to a decent start. Hopefully Red can put out four lines this year versus only two or three for long stretches last season.
      Originally posted by BobbyBrady
      Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

I hate to be a Debbie Downer regarding Maine hockey ever, but the program looks sunk to me. What research I've done on the recruits -and what I've seen from the sophomore class- leads me to believe that we're wasting our time hoping for anything better than what we saw last year. I'll be astonished if this team even approaches .500.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
          I hate to be a Debbie Downer regarding Maine hockey ever, but the program looks sunk to me. What research I've done on the recruits -and what I've seen from the sophomore class- leads me to believe that we're wasting our time hoping for anything better than what we saw last year. I'll be astonished if this team even approaches .500.
          Until the recruits play we aren't going to know. I don't expect .500 but to improve over a lousy 8 win team they don't have to hit .500. The bar is low. Without financial support the team is never going to approach what it was.

Comment

First of all, it's time to stop blaming money. That's getting old. A school that doesn't offer scholarships (Union) won a national championship a couple years ago.

Now...I certainly think this team could reach the .500 level and be playing a postseason series in Orono. As noted, our schedule isn't as challenging as a year ago, in particular us having to play a whole bunch of games on the road. They need to take advantage of October and all those games in our building.

Comment

Until the recruits play we aren't going to know. I don't expect .500 but to improve over a lousy 8 win team they don't have to hit .500. The bar is low. Without financial support the team is never going to approach what it was.
              Thanks, Preacher.

-Choir
              bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
              SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
              All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
              A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Originally posted by BBDiehard14 View Post
                First of all, it's time to stop blaming money. That's getting old. A school that doesn't offer scholarships (Union) won a national championship a couple years ago.

Now...I certainly think this team could reach the .500 level and be playing a postseason series in Orono. As noted, our schedule isn't as challenging as a year ago, in particular us having to play a whole bunch of games on the road. They need to take advantage of October and all those games in our building.
                They may not offer true athletic scholarships but with financial aid packages ranging from generous to obscenely generous, Union is essentially a scholarship program. The money for those scholarships just comes from a different pile.

Their hockey budget and Maine's is probably pretty similar.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                  This class could be the next 2008(Nyquist, Flynn, Abott, O'Neil, Darling) class the program needs to help turn it around. It has the same amount of draft picks! Or it could be a repeat of last years class . Walrus is right, we are not going to know until they hit the ice.

After last year how could it get worse?

Comment

I'm glad to see a post on this subject that simply and clearly clarifies the topic of "We are a non-scholarship hockey program". I am more than a bit weary of seeing posters from these schools exhibit a holier than thou attitude, because they have won some championship with players who supposedly were willing to pay ~$60,000 per year for the privilege of wearing the school's colors! They probably believe in the tooth fairy or whatever Donald Trump claims as fact.

I may be a Husky fan, but I have a home in Lyman and would be really happy to see UMO as a competitive program again. You certainly gave us two tough games in last year's playoffs!

Comment

Defensive recruit for 2017

https://***********/OverTheBoards/st...81297155354624

Comment

He sounds like a Keeper. We need a scoring D-man
                        GO MAINE

Comment

Originally posted by Don C View Post
                          He sounds like a Keeper. We need a scoring D-man
                          Back to the old days, he is a 96 coming in 2017

Comment

Back to the old days, he is a 96 coming in 2017
                            "Over the Boards" says he is a 2-way d-man with an "edge." What they mean is that he racked up 362 penalty minutes in his last two years in Manitoba.

Comment

Originally posted by dwollstadt View Post
                              "Over the Boards" says he is a 2-way d-man with an "edge." What they mean is that he racked up 362 penalty minutes in his last two years in Manitoba.
                              Had quite a few points too. He sounds like a nice fit to me, but who knows until he shows up.
                              Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                              Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Working...
                              X