Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Realignment coming to D3 Women's Conferences?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Realignment coming to D3 Women's Conferences?

If the WIAC stays around at 4-5, there's enough for a Pool B bid.

Speaking of which, are we at a 9-team tournament for this coming season?
    FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
      With what other schools? They're short of enough for an automatic bid. Is there any benefit to having a conference without an automatic berth in the NCAA tournament?
      Agree. Can't see a program like Stevenson (fairly new but competitive) or Manhattanville (already in a division with an automatic bid) taking a step back.

Comment

Originally posted by GTOWN View Post
        Agree. Can't see a program like Stevenson (fairly new but competitive) or Manhattanville (already in a division with an automatic bid) taking a step back.
        The MAC would need even more full-membership schools to start hockey and/or multiple programs already in existence becoming associate members. I could see some combo of MAC members Hood, Farleigh Dickinson, Messiah and/or Misericordia starting programs and if all of them do it that's clearly enough. I also imagine Chatham would jump at the chance to be an associate member given all the schools in Pennsylvania, but don't know who else that makes sense for.

Comment

Isn't it more likely that the DII schools set up their own conference in the next few years? With Post adding a program this year do they have enough numbers to start their conference and move away from NEHC?
          Considering the D2 teams cannot compete in the D3 national championship, it doesn't matter now many teams they have if they want to form a D2 conference. Heck, they could have just two teams and form a D2 conference, for all anybody cares.
          Russell Jaslow
          [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
          U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
            Considering the D2 teams cannot compete in the D3 national championship, it doesn't matter now many teams they have if they want to form a D2 conference. Heck, they could have just two teams and form a D2 conference, for all anybody cares.
            But D2 women's teams CAN compete in the NCAA National Championship (D1 & D2). All they have to do is meet the minimum game requirements and they're eligible. If they have a conference of at least 6 members, they get an AQ.
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

They may not have an option if they are full conference members. Lots of conferences (including those as the D3 level) have rules that if the conference decides to start a league in a sport they are required to join (the Big Ten for instance, which is what happened in men's hockey). The whole point of a conference is for the members to have a definitive place to play a sport if they decide to field a team. For Stevenson, a MAC conference will dramatically cut down on travel expenses and time. For Manhattanville, not so much, but they are already in the conference so they long ago made the decision that this conference was the right fit geographically, philosophically, and athletically for their teams.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
                They may not have an option if they are full conference members. Lots of conferences (including those as the D3 level) have rules that if the conference decides to start a league in a sport they are required to join (the Big Ten for instance, which is what happened in men's hockey). The whole point of a conference is for the members to have a definitive place to play a sport if they decide to field a team. For Stevenson, a MAC conference will dramatically cut down on travel expenses and time. For Manhattanville, not so much, but they are already in the conference so they long ago made the decision that this conference was the right fit geographically, philosophically, and athletically for their teams.
                The Big Ten rule was a choice not a requirement. The only requirement was that there be a MINIMUM of six schools with teams to form a conference if they wanted too. There also various affiliation rules as well ie John Hopkin, Norte Dame for the Big Ten

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
                  The Big Ten rule was a choice not a requirement. The only requirement was that there be a MINIMUM of six schools with teams to form a conference if they wanted too. There also various affiliation rules as well ie John Hopkin, Norte Dame for the Big Ten
                  And many conferences have rules that say "If x schools within our conference play sport y, then we will sponsor a championship in that sport and all conference full members must play in the conference."

Not all have that rule, and I don't know about the particular case of the MAC, but many conferences do.
                  Plattsburgh CARDINALS
                  SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
                  ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
                  NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
                  NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
                  NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
                  NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
                    And many conferences have rules that say "If x schools within our conference play sport y, then we will sponsor a championship in that sport and all conference full members must play in the conference."

Not all have that rule, and I don't know about the particular case of the MAC, but many conferences do.
                    Yes exactly but like I said it was a choice not a requirement. But once they do then all those schools in conference with a team must participate.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
                      With what other schools? They're short of enough for an automatic bid. Is there any benefit to having a conference without an automatic berth in the NCAA tournament?
                      Neumann and Chatham as associate members gives you your 7 for your autobid.
                      The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                      "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                      GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                      GO LAKERS!!!
                      GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                      "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                      Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                        That would still leave the ECAC West with 8 should no other programs depart. Would also remove two long road trips for Plattsburgh with the presumption they'd turn those into non-conference games against closer rivals, with the hope they'd have better SOS. I'm warming up to the idea...

Comment

With a 2 year wait for the AQ. For Stevenson, that just adds to the pain as the CHC is entering year 2.
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids
                          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Derek, can you refresh my memory on the topic of the access ratio and Pool B? Are we getting to the point where there would be 2 bids for the teams qualifying for Pool B?

Comment

Originally posted by obserbear View Post
                              Derek, can you refresh my memory on the topic of the access ratio and Pool B? Are we getting to the point where there would be 2 bids for the teams qualifying for Pool B?
                              If I remember correctly, it's 6.5 teams per bid. So, you would need 13 teams for two Pool B bids.
                              Russell Jaslow
                              [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                              U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Commonwealth Coast Conference also rumored to be looking to add Women's Ice Hockey as a conference sport as soon as possible. Men start CCC season this year.

Comment

Working...
                                X