Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

>>> RIT Tigers 2016-17: That was fun; let's go for three!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: >>> RIT Tigers 2016-17: That was fun; let's go for three!

Originally posted by mar7967 View Post
    I don't recall hearing it anywhere, but I saw in the USCHO write up that it would be Northeastern.
    The Brick City Homecoming page on Facebook says the same thing: https://www.facebook.com/RITBrickCit...9ydGhlYXN0ZXJu

Maybe in 2018 we can go for the Husky trifecta and bring St. Cloud State in. And Michigan Tech in 2019!

Powers &8^]
    Last edited by LtPowers; 10-19-2016, 08:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
      The Brick City Homecoming page on Facebook says the same thing: https://www.facebook.com/RITBrickCit...9ydGhlYXN0ZXJu

Maybe in 2018 we can go for the Husky trifecta and bring St. Cloud State in. And Michigan Tech in 2019!

Powers &8^]
      Wouldn't that be a "Quad-fecta" ?
      Can't we all just get along?
      Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
        Wouldn't that be a "Quad-fecta" ?
        Superfecta, actually. I'd written 'trifecta' before remembering MTU and didn't feel like changing my whole sentence around.

Powers &8^]

Comment

It looks like tonight's game can be streamed on Union's website (https://www.unionathletics.tv/) for $7.95... Anyone know of any other options out there or am I going to have to pay the $7.95?

On the plus side, it looks like the game tomorrow can be streamed for free over at http://rpitv.org/.

Comment

• Originally posted by Haaafs View Post
            It looks like tonight's game can be streamed on Union's website (https://www.unionathletics.tv/) for $7.95... Anyone know of any other options out there or am I going to have to pay the $7.95?

On the plus side, it looks like the game tomorrow can be streamed for free over at http://rpitv.org/.
            I know of no other so for tonight I plan on listening to our radio guys at Union while watching the stream of the RPI Niagara game. Thank you RPI for streaming your home games.
            Last edited by Downstate_RIT_Fan; 10-21-2016, 04:52 PM.
            RPI Engineers
            RIT Tigers
            ARMY Black Knights

Comment

Got all the RIT tropes tonight: playing a "superior" opponent closely until the last 10 minutes and losing control of the game by taking penalties at the worst possible times. Certainly frustrating knowing the skill we have but keep getting in our own way.
              RIT Tigers

AHC Pickem Regular Season Co-Champion - 2016-2017

Comment

• Originally posted by kwm4385 View Post
                Got all the RIT tropes tonight: playing a "superior" opponent closely until the last 10 minutes and losing control of the game by taking penalties at the worst possible times. Certainly frustrating knowing the skill we have but keep getting in our own way.
                Like waiting for the other shoe to drop. This team has the skills to be a great team but do they have the discipline to go along with that skill? I think they do and they are still shaking out the early season rust like they seem to do year after year. Let's see how they do tonight in Troy where RPI is still looking for their first home win after their hard fought tie with Niagara last night.
                RPI Engineers
                RIT Tigers
                ARMY Black Knights

Comment

Originally posted by Downstate_RIT_Fan View Post
                  Like waiting for the other shoe to drop. This team has the skills to be a great team but do they have the discipline to go along with that skill? I think they do and they are still shaking out the early season rust like they seem to do year after year. Let's see how they do tonight in Troy where RPI is still looking for their first home win after their hard fought tie with Niagara last night.
                  Looks like it dropped on Saturday night. Only caught the last 10 minutes of the 3rd but it didn't sound good. Seems like they are back to their usual early season OOC pattern. Hopefully, it all comes together and they start a winning streak.
                  RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

• Originally posted by blazer777 View Post
                    Looks like it dropped on Saturday night. Only caught the last 10 minutes of the 3rd but it didn't sound good. Seems like they are back to their usual early season OOC pattern. Hopefully, it all comes together and they start a winning streak.
                    I made the trip up to RPI on Saturday night. Was fortunate to speak with one of the posters over on the RPI threads. Always nice to meet a USCHO forum poster in person. More on that later.

As for the game, looks like Coach Wilson gave some of the newer Tigers a chance to play. I thought there seemed to be a lot of freshman out there. Short started in goal. RIT seemed to carry the play early especially with both teams at full strength and were rewarded by taking the early lead. RPI kept chipping away and took the momentum only to go up 3-1 after a wrap around goal. Mike then went into the goal and RIT fought back to tie at 3. That was encouraging. I'm not sure about the penalty that led to the RPI power play goal and 4-3 lead. Looked pretty harmless and after the 2nd Wilson seemed to be looking to have a discussion with one of the refs as he was walking off the ice. RIT took it to RPI early in the third but good defense by RPI and some puck luck kept RIT from getting the equalizer. RPI's fifth goal was right in front of me and sealed the deal, it was a 2-0 breakaway, nothing Mike could do about that. Last goal was an empty netter. I think Coach was still working new players into the system and that led to some of the defensive lapses as giving up two power play goals and a short handed goal is not indicative of an RIT team.

I talked a bit with the RPI fans before the game about all things RPI and RIT. We talked about all the penalties this year, the folks I talked to, long time season ticket holders were not happy. I brought the subject up of any spots opening up in the ECAC when ND leaves Hockey East. The consensus was no, that no one will leave the ECAC to go to Hockey East. One thing that I thought was very interesting. One of the guys mentioned that he would like to see the Ivies leave altogether and the remaining ECAC teams merging with Altlantic Hockey into two divisions. The feeling was that we all compete for the same players so it made sense. He said as far as a prediction to who will win the game he said the teams were the same talent wise and whoever played better would win. Saturday night that was RPI.

As far as the rink and environment, I've been to lots of games at HFH and think it compares similarly to RIT as far as student involvement. The RIT corner crew is more organized but the RPI students kept the chants and taunts going all game. Plus there were 4000 plus fans there with a good bunch of RIT fans but any cheering for RIT was drowned out by the RPI students. I sat in front of the RPI band and they seemed to be both band and corner crew as they led most chants. One particular chant that I hadn't heard before was "Safety school", "Safety school", "Safety School"...... when the game was no longer in reach which was funny, edgy, and harsh all at the same time. I hope the Corner Crew will return the favor next season with something just as cutting when RPI visits RIT. I didn't think there was any animosity between the two teams/schools, lots of respect, many players probably
                    know each other from juniors..and lots of fans probably have ties to both schools like I do..
                    Last edited by Downstate_RIT_Fan; 10-24-2016, 08:08 PM.
                    RPI Engineers
                    RIT Tigers
                    ARMY Black Knights

Comment

Bryson Traptow from the Whitecourt Wolverines of the AJHL has committed for next season... A 6'4" forward. This team is starting to get really tall. We could theoretically have these guys all on the ice at once next year: Jordan Peacock (6'6"), Max Mikowski (6'3"), Bryson Traptow (6'4"), Chris McKay (6'5"), Matt Abt (6'4"), Christian Short (6'4"). That's crazy.

Comment

Thoughts on this weekends road trip?

Tigers should walk away with at least three points if they keep their wits about them.
                        RIT Tigers

Comment

Originally posted by blazer777 View Post

Tigers should walk away with at least three points if they keep their wits about them.
                          Thanks for getting us back to the first page Blaze.

I can't help being impressed that Bentley took it to Air Force last Saturday night in Colorado. With ticky tack penalties and the skills of Max French three points for the Tigers would be great but a tall order, therefore I am predicting a split on this early season weekend match up. I think anything less than a split we will go back to talking about how much parity there is in Atlantic Hockey, a conversation we shouldn't be having for a team predicted to finish first in the Atlantic Hockey regular season. If we were predicted to finish in the middle of the pack then sure, we can talk about how league games are important but not as important as being healthy and playing well at the end of the season. Ideally I'd like to see RIT make a statement this weekend but I think it might be too early for that.

Did you guys read Chris Lerch's Atlantic Hockey Blog this week? Another link to the two alphabet schools RIT and RPI (I did not know this).

(From Chris):

"Rensselaer defeated RIT 6-3 on Saturday thanks in part to two goals and an assist by senior captain Riley Bourbonnais. Riley is the son of former RIT player John Bourbonnais, who helped the Tigers win a Division III title in 1985.

Bourbonnais can also claim bragging rights over RIT goalie Mike Rotolo. They were teammates in 2009 on the Greece, N.Y. high school team that won a state title."
                          RPI Engineers
                          RIT Tigers
                          ARMY Black Knights

Comment

Originally posted by blazer777 View Post

I'm going bold and saying RIT sweeps. I hope they've had enough of losing or tying. Time to get serious, play well, and win.
                            RIT Tigers!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ln145QKj2pE - A video I shot of Ricky Walton's penalty shot vs. Canisius 11/2/07. It ended up being the game winner.

2013-14 AHA Pick 'Em Champion!

Comment

Originally posted by Bing View Post
                              I'm going bold and saying RIT sweeps. I hope they've had enough of losing or tying. Time to get serious, play well, and win.
                              Well, I think we have seen the last of goalie swapping now that they are back in conference play. Hopefully they don't take stupid penalties and their passing improves so Rotolo doesn't see many 3 v 1 breakaways. Will be a much better visit to the JAR for me on Saturday if the tigers have two points already going into the game.
                              RIT Tigers

Comment

• Originally posted by blazer777 View Post
                                Well, I think we have seen the last of goalie swapping now that they are back in conference play. Hopefully they don't take stupid penalties and their passing improves so Rotolo doesn't see many 3 v 1 breakaways. Will be a much better visit to the JAR for me on Saturday if the tigers have two points already going into the game.
                                Hey, they are half way there, go tigers!
                                RIT Tigers

Comment

Working...
                                X