Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

>>> RIT Tigers 2016-17: That was fun; let's go for three!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: >>> RIT Tigers 2016-17: That was fun; let's go for three!

It actually makes me sad to hear that people are calling for Coach Wilson's head... This is a guy who recruits from all over the place, and finds diamonds in the rough that pretty much every other team passes on (Tanev, Garbowsky, Norrishes, etc). He does this without any help from scholarships, or conference we play in. Granted we do have one of the best facilities in NCAA, but we didn't four years ago. AND THEN, he takes all these guys that no big time school wanted, and almost always gets us to BCA for a chance to get to the NCAAs. AND THEN, when we make it to the tournament, which we do more than any other team in the conference that doesn't play in Colorado, we at least compete with the big dogs, if we don't actually beat them. The only game that RIT wasn't really competitive in was Wisconsin in the FF. Even in the regular season, we go to Cornell and beat them. We go to Michigan, and beat them. We go to Penn State, and beat them. We go to Minnesota, and go to OT. The list goes on, and on.

When it comes to NCAA sports, being a consistent winner has a lot to do with coaching and recruiting. The player turnover is incredibly high, and the only constant is the coaching staff. You can't make free agent moves and trades when all hell breaks loose like it did with this team this year. You have to play with what you're dealt, and the second half of this season WW was dealt a 2 and 7 off suit, and still managed to get this team to finish in 6th place. We need to stop living in the moment, and think about what this coaching staff has done the last 10+ years. If this becomes a trend, then yes, we can rethink this, but one playoff series loss during an injury riddled season after two consecutive NCAA tournament appearances and a win in one of those seasons isn't nearly a trend.

Let's stay calm here. Go Tigers.

Comment

Originally posted by larfretz44 View Post
      If this becomes a trend, then yes, we can rethink this, but one playoff series loss during an injury riddled season after two consecutive NCAA tournament appearances and a win in one of those seasons isn't nearly a trend.
      Seriously.

We go to Minnesota, and go to OT.
      We beat the Gophers.

Powers &8^]

Comment

I'm going to keep putting this out there - if you want to fire Coach Wilson, who do you want that RIT can REALISTICALLY get? Nobody has ever put a name out there.

RIT is 206-162-47 since they joined Atlantic Hockey with only 3 losing seasons. After the last 2 losing season, RIT went to the NCAAs. This being done as the conference has improved in quality of play and colleges improving their facilities AND the league increasing the scholarship limit. Every 4 year senior has won at least 1 championship under Coach Wilson. BTW, that team in Colorado hasn't been to the NCAAs since 2012. Just saying.
        2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
        2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
        2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
        2010 Frozen Four participant
        2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Originally posted by Rochester View Post
          This season would be 100% different if the team had confidence in goal. Rotolo without fail always let in softies. He peaked is sophomore year and thank God we had Ruby who at the last minute got hot and become the goalie RIT recruited him to be.
          Rotolo was the #1 goalie when RIT won the AHA tournament. Not saying he was not good this year - he did underachieve enough times.
          2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
          2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
          2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
          2010 Frozen Four participant
          2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

• I don't think too many of us are seriously talking about replacing Coach. He is the right guy for RIT. I think many of us are using this board to vent our frustration as that was a devastating and humble series loss and a crash out of the playoffs that even with the injuries none of us expected. Time to regroup and retool for next season.
            RPI Engineers
            RIT Tigers
            ARMY Black Knights

Comment

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
              if you want to fire Coach Wilson, who do you want that RIT can REALISTICALLY get?
              Apparently Seth Appert is now available.

Powers &8^]

Comment

I've had a number of people around college hockey reach out to me over what's being said on this message board. They unanimously believe that everyone calling for Wilson to be fired is nuts.

Comment

Originally posted by Downstate_RIT_Fan View Post
                  I don't think too many of us are seriously talking about replacing Coach. He is the right guy for RIT. I think many of us are using this board to vent our frustration as that was a devastating and humble series loss and a crash out of the playoffs that even with the injuries none of us expected. Time to regroup and retool for next season.
                  I'm thinking (hoping, really) that this is the case. Its just an overreaction by folks to put the blame on someone, when there really isn't anyone to blame. As a Packer fan as well, I saw similarly ridiculous things in other forums about trading Aaron Rodgers and firing Mike McCarthy earlier this NFL season when they were struggling too. Everyone wants a scapegoat, but a lot of the time, the outcome isn't really anyone's fault, the other team just played better. That's what it looked like this weekend. Niagara was just better.
                  Last edited by larfretz44; 03-07-2017, 11:07 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by larfretz44 View Post
                    I'm thinking (hoping, really) that this is the case .
                    That is indeed the case. Fans are stewing a bit after this loss. Part of the grieving process I guess 😄. I'm sure in a few weeks after some more post mortem posts we'll start talking about next season. Thanks to Ed and Scott along with their in between period guests for another entertaining year listening to them on the radio. Thanks to our seniors too who gave their best despite the tough odds. I'll be watching the ECHL ranks to see if any of them are welcomed into camp for a tryout. Finally thanks to Coach and his staff for getting the best out of the players.
                    RPI Engineers
                    RIT Tigers
                    ARMY Black Knights

Comment

A season full of injuries and good goalies on the opponents side didn't help the tigers this year. I remember in the early days when there were too many healthy players and a bunch were sitting on the bench during games. Injuries changed that and the defense was hampered by it. I was never impressed by Rotolo but having to face down the oncoming rush made for a long season for him. But downstate is right, time to move on and look to next year and a more seasoned team that can hopefully keep the injury but away.

Looking forward to the schedule coming out and the cool days of October.
                      RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

If you read the posts by the seniors, and the heartfelt impact that the last 4 years had on their lives. How much does the outcome of this year really matter?

We Tiger fans have been blessed, and spoiled by the success of the past years. We all (fans, players, and coaches) started the year with high expectations and were let down by the way the season played out. No one is responsible for the outcome. I really doubt there was anyone on the ice that didn't play as hard as they could. Heck, the argument could probably be made that trying to play beyond themselves lead to a lot of the penalties and out of sync play we saw down the stretch.
                        John Nabors

RIT Tigers - A Long Hockey Tradition
                        AHA Regular Season Champions 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011
                        AHA Tournament Champions 2010, 2015, 2016
                        NCAA DI - 2010, 2015, 2016
                        NCAA Frozen 4 - 2010
                        NCAA DII - 1983
                        NCAA DIII - 1984, 1985, 1989, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002

Comment

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
                          Rotolo was the #1 goalie when RIT won the AHA tournament. Not saying he was not good this year - he did underachieve enough times.
                          He still only had a 0.907% that year and his record was a very modest 8-8-2. He was never skilled enough to be a true number 1, he just managed to be better than Short (which is evidently not hard).
                          RIT

Comment

• 2017-2018 goalie situation anyone?
                            R I T HOCKEY
                            Frozen Four
                            Elite Eight
                            NCAA Tournament
                            2010-2015-2016
                            RIP-Mikita Dan Barrows

Comment

Originally posted by XCTiger View Post
                              If you read the posts by the seniors, and the heartfelt impact that the last 4 years had on their lives. How much does the outcome of this year really matter?

We Tiger fans have been blessed, and spoiled by the success of the past years. We all (fans, players, and coaches) started the year with high expectations and were let down by the way the season played out. No one is responsible for the outcome. I really doubt there was anyone on the ice that didn't play as hard as they could. Heck, the argument could probably be made that trying to play beyond themselves lead to a lot of the penalties and out of sync play we saw down the stretch.
                              I've also never heard a player complain about the coaching staff.
                              RIT Tigers!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ln145QKj2pE - A video I shot of Ricky Walton's penalty shot vs. Canisius 11/2/07. It ended up being the game winner.

2013-14 AHA Pick 'Em Champion!

Comment

• Bump
                                RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

Working...
                                X