Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

>>> RIT Tigers 2016-17: That was fun; let's go for three!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: >>> RIT Tigers 2016-17: That was fun; let's go for three!

I believe from reading that puck possession is inferred in the sense that they count shots on goal, blocked and wide for both teams and then based upon the totals. It isn't from what I understand actuals as NCAA doesn't keep those specific stats. In most cases it sounds reasonable, however it isn't exact if one team plays a style that trades off lower percentage defensive zone shots on net from the point in exchange for keeping the premier scoring slot tight. On average however it does the trick, then team specific knowledge can be incorporated.

I like the coaching at RIT and the style the team plays, cannot say the same thing about all teams in the conference that's for certain. RIT are losing upwards to seven players however not too much by way of offense. The biggest question mark may be in your goaltender Rotolo graduating seeing I don't believe there was an heir apparent, time will tell if that works itself out. With the Norris twins back and healthy that certainly solidifies the back end, but it is true goaltending wins championships so we will have to see how that situation works itself out.

With Rotolo the starts basically went to a single net minder which many teams conference wide also followed, other teams basically split games between two net minders. I tend to like going with a single goaltender rather than a rotation, but the flip side is when your main goalie leaves it can sometimes be difficult in not having someone ready in the wings. It will be interesting to see going forward beyond January if RIT decides to go with a prime or duo for the next few years.

Comment

Originally posted by Blitz View Post
      The biggest question mark may be in your goaltender Rotolo graduating seeing I don't believe there was an heir apparent, time will tell if that works itself out.
      The coaching staff has evidently lost faith in Short as he played even fewer minutes than he did as a rookie. They've brought in two freshmen this year, both with excellent junior statistics and reputations. If I were making predictions, I would predict we see them split time in net early until one or the other steps up to secure the starting job.

If they're both playing well, Coach Wilson will have no qualms about continuing to split the minutes; he's done it before.

Now all that said, I also have a horrendous track record predicting what Coach will do, especially as regards goaltending.

Powers &8^]

Comment

My preference all being equal has always been taller goaltenders with the belief that on an off night they still take up a lot of the net. RIT has exactly that, four very tall goalies all six footers or better which does bode well for one rising to the occasion. It might take half a season for that to happen, or it might take only a month of play. The end result is in Atlantic Hockey the regular season is a prelude to playoffs seeing all teams participate, by then the answer will be known.

Comment

Has anyone heard anything about where to find home game broadcasts this season? Spectrum is phasing out Spectrum Sports NY as far as I can tell; they shuttered the Albany feed in June and Buffalo and Syracuse papers are reporting the same for their feeds come this weekend. I haven't heard anything about Rochester's feed but it seems unlikely they'd keep it around if they're ditching the other NY ones.

Powers &8^]

Comment

WITR, 89.7 FM and streaming at witr.rit.edu, of course:-)

You can find the away game broadcasts there also.

Shameless self promotion mode off......
            Scott Biggar
            WITR - Voice of the RIT Tigers
            Staff Writer - US College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Biggar View Post

Shameless self promotion mode off......
              They have the best Guest Hosts

So Scott how do you turn Shameless self promotion mode off??

I've never been able to do it, well except when I got married... Oh Wait
              Course, That's Just my Opinion, I Could Be Wrong.

Thomas M. Naeger
              The Mule
              Rochester Institute of Technology '03

"Good Judgment comes from experience, experience comes from Bad Judgment"

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott Biggar View Post

Shameless self promotion
                mode off......
                If I close my eyes, it's like I'm at the game... Until Ed starts yelling at the officials!😁
                RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
                  Has anyone heard anything about where to find home game broadcasts this season? Spectrum is phasing out Spectrum Sports NY as far as I can tell; they shuttered the Albany feed in June and Buffalo and Syracuse papers are reporting the same for their feeds come this weekend. I haven't heard anything about Rochester's feed but it seems unlikely they'd keep it around if they're ditching the other NY ones.

Powers &8^]
                  I emailed the SID this morning, and he confirmed that Spectrum is indeed shutting down Spectrum Sports Rochester on September 30. In the meantime, RIT is working on a deal to keep the games on TV. He wouldn't get into specifics since nothing is official yet, but he said that if all goes well, games will be available on cable, satellite, over the air, and possibly even streaming. In short, he said it would be an even better situation than what we have now. Let's all keep our fingers crossed that this happens!

Comment

Originally posted by joew74 View Post
                    I emailed the SID this morning, and he confirmed that Spectrum is indeed shutting down Spectrum Sports Rochester on September 30. In the meantime, RIT is working on a deal to keep the games on TV. He wouldn't get into specifics since nothing is official yet, but he said that if all goes well, games will be available on cable, satellite, over the air, and possibly even streaming. In short, he said it would be an even better situation than what we have now. Let's all keep our fingers crossed that this happens!
                    Interesting! Thanks for checking. The only local broadcast station I know of that isn't part of a major network is WBGT, but they broadcast in standard def, which would be disappointing. Their Roc Sports Television subchannel is 46.5, but I think Spectrum carries the main feed from 46.1. And Wikipedia says they've never been on satellite.

So maybe one of the other stations will put it on a digital subchannel? But that still raises the question of cable and satellite access.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by joew74 View Post
                      I emailed the SID this morning, and he confirmed that Spectrum is indeed shutting down Spectrum Sports Rochester on September 30.
                      And Spectrum said we would be all better off when they bought out Time Warner.

The things I want to say right now that will all get asterisked out.
                      Russell Jaslow
                      [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                      U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post

I am not surprised, but I am hopeful that it will lead to better things for the broadcast...
                        Course, That's Just my Opinion, I Could Be Wrong.

Thomas M. Naeger
                        The Mule
                        Rochester Institute of Technology '03

"Good Judgment comes from experience, experience comes from Bad Judgment"

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
                          Interesting! Thanks for checking. The only local broadcast station I know of that isn't part of a major network is WBGT, but they broadcast in standard def, which would be disappointing. Their Roc Sports Television subchannel is 46.5, but I think Spectrum carries the main feed from 46.1. And Wikipedia says they've never been on satellite.

So maybe one of the other stations will put it on a digital subchannel? But that still raises the question of cable and satellite access.

Powers &8^]
                          The sport zone page is now referencing CW Rochester as the broadcaster, with it being carried on spectrum and Direct TV as well Digital 13.2 for over the air. Takes care of Rochester pretty well, but does not help us out of towners. Oh well there is Atlantic Hockey tv. I see they are now doing some HD support with apple tv, android tv, and fire tv apps.
                          John Nabors

RIT Tigers - A Long Hockey Tradition
                          AHA Regular Season Champions 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011
                          AHA Tournament Champions 2010, 2015, 2016
                          NCAA DI - 2010, 2015, 2016
                          NCAA Frozen 4 - 2010
                          NCAA DII - 1983
                          NCAA DIII - 1984, 1985, 1989, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post

And that very night, I saw a commercial for the high school Friday night game of the week for the whole season. I thought, how can that be if they are shutting down Spectrum Sports?

Then I noticed on the bottom the logo for Spectrum News.

So, are they going to merge Spectrum Sports and Spectrum News, eliminating a 24-hours local sports station and the 24-hour local news station?

I guess that makes sense if you want to save money. There are only so much local sports you can show, and I would think the umpteenth replay of a particular game doesn't get much of an audience and thus subsequent ad space. And if they are willing to forgo 24-hours news coverage, they can put the occasional local sports event on the news channel.
                            Russell Jaslow
                            [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                            U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                              So, are they going to merge Spectrum Sports and Spectrum News, eliminating a 24-hours local sports station and the 24-hour local news station?
                              Reports out of Buffalo indicate that it's pretty much just Friday nights -- basically just one game a week. Other HS football games will be covered on an alternative venue, probably an online stream. Other sports are SOL, apparently.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by XCTiger View Post
                                The sport zone page is now referencing CW Rochester as the broadcaster, with it being carried on spectrum and Direct TV as well Digital 13.2 for over the air.
                                That's kinda weird... I would think CW Rochester would be required to run CW's usual Friday night programming. Fans of Jane the Virgin won't be happy.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Working...
                                X